Satan loves people who don’t believe in him because they are so easy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 08:12 AM
RE: Satan loves people who don’t believe in him because they are so easy
(28-11-2012 01:36 AM)kpax Wrote:  Why would people even think such things? Daydreaming about putting a gun to someone's head, cocking it so we can see God's amazing grace? Really?
[Image: religous-war-quote-e1329495207457-600x221.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post
28-11-2012, 08:50 AM
(28-11-2012 03:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Bitches be crazy.
The sanity of Bro's is pretty questionable also.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2012, 10:42 AM
(28-11-2012 02:20 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 01:36 AM)kpax Wrote:  Why would people even think such things? Daydreaming about putting a gun to someone's head, cocking it so we can see God's amazing grace? Really?
When you're right, very right, impossible-to-be-wrong right, then anything you do in your righteousness is alright, right?

Wow....I actually understood this. You are.....right! Big Grin
28-11-2012, 10:45 AM
(28-11-2012 08:04 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  kpax, I get on theblaze.com to debate as well. I used to be one of them. I believed as they do, so I understand them and why they feel they are "absolutely right". Christianity is a form of self centered love and ego stroking. *I* know I'm right. *I* have made the right decision and others are fools . . . because the bible says so. *I* get to spend a luxurious afterlife and live forever without the current scary aspects of life [disease, pain, death]. If they are wrong, they loose a lot. So they become like the following:"You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."
[/font]

[font=Verdana]And I see it on that site. They take the simplest aspects of their faith and elevate it to "absolute certainty of it all". They see videos of top apologists and believe they have won the debate when they copy/paste from them. But they fail to see the fallacies because they only care about that which benefits their god belief. They cannot offer up any compelling evidence for the supernatural, but "because archeology has proven many stories of the bible as valid", they claim their faith as "the one true religion". Then, they are free to make these baseless claims, yet get angry when someone posts a harsh critique of it [as I do]. But I will continue to post there, explaining their error, . . . perhaps getting them to rethink their ridiculous statements. I probably won't win anyone over, but letting them continue in their ignorance? That's hard to do.
So well said. And now I want to watch the Matrix again. Smile I have been thinking lately about how Christianity is more about the ego.
28-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Oh, it is SO about the ego, and they don't even realize it. They may CLAIM that "they care about people going to hell", but really, they're more interested in thier own butts. It is just another self centered, ego maniacal religion, and maybe that's why they are quick to "love the biblical god".
28-11-2012, 12:35 PM
(28-11-2012 12:11 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Oh, it is SO about the ego, and they don't even realize it. They may CLAIM that "they care about people going to hell", but really, they're more interested in thier own butts. It is just another self centered, ego maniacal religion, and maybe that's why they are quick to "love the biblical god".
You're pretty close, but for most of them it's not so much about ego or about caring about their own butts, but rather, their need to feel superior because of the group to which they belong. All religions rely on this. In fact, all clubs, groups, affiliations, etc., rely on it.

For most of us, belonging to a group makes us feel good. What's more, if we see our neighbor belonging to a different group, we tend to envy that. Even worse, if his group is better than our group, we definitely envy it. We might even quit our group to join his. That would be bad for the group we leave as its membership would decline. If lots of people leave, if everyone leaves, then the group ceases to exist. Definitely bad for the group.

For a religion (or any other group) to thrive, it needs faithful believers/loyal members. If those believers/members are always jumping ship to join better religions/groups, then the crappy religion/group will cease to exist.

So all successful groups have some kind of built-in mechanism for the members of that group to feel superior to everyone who isn't a member. Sometimes it's very deliberate, using elaborate rituals such as secret handshakes, passwords, etc. (Shriners, Masons, every religion). Sometimes it's less deliberate (democrats and republicans always feel superior to the other guys even without any deliberate rituals). Sometimes the superiority comes from denying ourselves the stuff that "inferior" people lack the willpower to deny themselves (vows of poverty, chastity, etc. are the perfect way to express these self-denial superiority mechanisms for the group members who undertake such vows). Sometimes it's nothing more than the power we give to our group (I feel superior to non-chess-players every time I go to my local chess club because we are the intellectual elite, even though we never actually say that or anything like it).

Religions are the best at building all kinds of superiority mechanisms. For Christianity, the whole "We're saved and you're not" is an extreme version of this. Compounded with "We go to heaven and you burn in hell" to paint clear and decisive repercussions for being in the wrong group. Every ritual, prayer, sacrament, baptism, hymns, ceremony, etc., all serve to add to the "we're superior because we do these things and you don't" mentality. Every voluntary sacrifice such as tithing, missionary work, donating time or money to church events, denying oneself the simple pleasures in life (because the church says to), etc., is all part of building this superiority separation between the faithful and everyone else.

So it's not entirely that the individual is especially egotistical or seeking to protect his or her own butt, it's more that the organization has built-in mechanisms to make every member automatically superior to every non-member. Even the lowliest Christian feels superior to the highest ranking Imam, Ayatollah, Rabbi, Lama, etc., just because he follows the rituals and sacrifices and is "saved" while they are not.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
28-11-2012, 12:47 PM
(28-11-2012 12:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 12:11 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Oh, it is SO about the ego, and they don't even realize it. They may CLAIM that "they care about people going to hell", but really, they're more interested in thier own butts. It is just another self centered, ego maniacal religion, and maybe that's why they are quick to "love the biblical god".
You're pretty close, but for most of them it's not so much about ego or about caring about their own butts, but rather, their need to feel superior because of the group to which they belong. All religions rely on this. In fact, all clubs, groups, affiliations, etc., rely on it.

For most of us, belonging to a group makes us feel good. What's more, if we see our neighbor belonging to a different group, we tend to envy that. Even worse, if his group is better than our group, we definitely envy it. We might even quit our group to join his. That would be bad for the group we leave as its membership would decline. If lots of people leave, if everyone leaves, then the group ceases to exist. Definitely bad for the group.

For a religion (or any other group) to thrive, it needs faithful believers/loyal members. If those believers/members are always jumping ship to join better religions/groups, then the crappy religion/group will cease to exist.

So all successful groups have some kind of built-in mechanism for the members of that group to feel superior to everyone who isn't a member. Sometimes it's very deliberate, using elaborate rituals such as secret handshakes, passwords, etc. (Shriners, Masons, every religion). Sometimes it's less deliberate (democrats and republicans always feel superior to the other guys even without any deliberate rituals). Sometimes the superiority comes from denying ourselves the stuff that "inferior" people lack the willpower to deny themselves (vows of poverty, chastity, etc. are the perfect way to express these self-denial superiority mechanisms for the group members who undertake such vows). Sometimes it's nothing more than the power we give to our group (I feel superior to non-chess-players every time I go to my local chess club because we are the intellectual elite, even though we never actually say that or anything like it).

Religions are the best at building all kinds of superiority mechanisms. For Christianity, the whole "We're saved and you're not" is an extreme version of this. Compounded with "We go to heaven and you burn in hell" to paint clear and decisive repercussions for being in the wrong group. Every ritual, prayer, sacrament, baptism, hymns, ceremony, etc., all serve to add to the "we're superior because we do these things and you don't" mentality. Every voluntary sacrifice such as tithing, missionary work, donating time or money to church events, denying oneself the simple pleasures in life (because the church says to), etc., is all part of building this superiority separation between the faithful and everyone else.

So it's not entirely that the individual is especially egotistical or seeking to protect his or her own butt, it's more that the organization has built-in mechanisms to make every member automatically superior to every non-member. Even the lowliest Christian feels superior to the highest ranking Imam, Ayatollah, Rabbi, Lama, etc., just because he follows the rituals and sacrifices and is "saved" while they are not.
My sky daddy can beat up your sky daddy.

I hate it when people think they're in the right religion because they are suffering, and are meant to suffer.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-11-2012, 04:48 PM
(27-11-2012 11:19 PM)kpax Wrote:  Those in a miserable state only wish to bring others into a miserable state, with the false belief that thereby their misery will be diluted.
[sarcasm] For me it's more about spitefully tearing down the good and pure so that the contrast is less painful. Numbers don't matter so much. How about the rest of you? [/sarcasm]

Less sarcastically: Darn those Cubs fans.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
28-11-2012, 05:14 PM
It's groupthink.

Happens a lot and is the bane of humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-11-2012, 06:17 PM
(28-11-2012 05:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's groupthink.

Happens a lot and is the bane of humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Undecided

The bane and the salvation