Satan loves people who don’t believe in him because they are so easy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2012, 07:28 AM
RE: Satan loves people who don’t believe in him because they are so easy
There IS something to be said about how a person can be drawn into a specific "feeling" when it seems like everyone else in the crowd is "in to it". Suddenly, "the spirit can manifest itself" unlike it was able to do when you were by yourself. Oh, . . . and the music playing helps. I was a member of the "worship team" for most of my christian life, so I know how music affects people.

It is the same situation that causes people to get all excited at a sports game [if something worth getting excited about is happening, that is]. Same with a really good concert. Similarly, there is a reason why a church having "revival" causes people to behave differently in THAT service than most of the other services they attend. The thought is placed in their mind that "they will receive", and they all feed on each other's reactions until it boils over into "falling over", "babbling in tongues", "laughing uncontrollably", "weeping over their horrible sin", etc. On Monday morning, they may feel more pious, . . . but they're the same person they were before.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DeavonReye's post
06-12-2012, 02:57 AM
LOL, Deavon. You reminded me of a time I was in revival. It was a bit spooky where different congregations would meet up in the middle of the woods for about a week every evening and have revival once per year

One of those days I was sitting there listening to the music and preaching when a woman close by gets up and shouts "whoooooooooooo!" at the top of her lungs, throwing her hands in air.

Scared the crap out of me. Took everything I had not to laugh.
[+] 2 users Like kpax's post
06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
kpax. . . LOL. Yeah, that would scare the crap out of me, too! Uncalled for outbursts were common in the church I attended. Someone FEELS that they are to "speak in tongues" during the service, interrupting what was going on. And the crowd is fine with it!! Someone "interprets it", and the entire congregation moans and groans for a few seconds. It was just a guy who had something to say, and ended it with "thus saith the lord". It is quite comical, if you really look at it.
06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
(29-11-2012 07:28 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  There IS something to be said about how a person can be drawn into a specific "feeling" when it seems like everyone else in the crowd is "in to it". Suddenly, "the spirit can manifest itself" unlike it was able to do when you were by yourself. Oh, . . . and the music playing helps. I was a member of the "worship team" for most of my christian life, so I know how music affects people.
Yes, and that's why some churches use music, and others use monotonous chants in a candlelit church, to induce a sort of group trance state. That doesn't mean magic is involved, but many people interpret it that way. It's no different from people who are into the music at a concert, or dancing at a rave while high on drugs. People tend to interpret a lot of strong emotions as evidence of magic or something "more" than reality, like the people who refuse to believe love is the result of chemicals, or those who think orgasms are magical.
Quote: You're pretty close, but for most of them it's not so much about ego or
about caring about their own butts, but rather, their need to feel
superior because of the group to which they belong. All religions rely
on this. In fact, all clubs, groups, affiliations, etc., rely on it.
This. And it explains the patronizing tone you get from a lot of religious folks, they really think they're the chosen people, they know more than everyone else, we're all going to hell and they're not, and we're just too stupid to see the "evidence" that they see. You see the same kind of thing when someone in one military branch talks shit on other branches, when people are nationalistic, sometimes people of different professions, etc. and I suppose it all goes back to our tribal days, when people in Tribe A felt they were superior in every way to Tribe B, because it was an in-group/out-group thing. It's also very apparent in extremely racist people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
True, amyb. There are many people I debate online and they actually believe I'm either "in denial", or "too stupid to see the evidence" . . . of which they never actually GIVE any. But yeah, there really is a "us against them" mentality in humans. It is extra funny when it is two denominations fighting over who has the correct doctrine! hehehe
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
"There’s been one lingering thought in the back of my head my entire life, and it’s one thought that I’ve never been able to reconcile, and that is the vast difference between all the animals and us"

Comparative anatomy, evolutionary development, dna analysis, and all the other information showing that we are animals was not convincing enough?

Le sigh.

Oh well. I guess each person has to decide on their own.

Personally it'd take more than reading the bible and $400 to change my mind.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
06-12-2012, 08:08 PM
I view sites like this or Conservapedia, etc and I can use a variety of vulgar adjectives and slurs to describe them.

But if I had to give just one adjective that comes to mind the most when viewing today's right wing Christian patriot - type in the US, it would be 'Orwellian'.

Bill Maher calls it 'The Bubble'. Jon Stewart calls it 'Bullshit Mountain'. It's a fabricated, schitzophrenic, alternate reality these people have spun for themselves over years and years to avoid the painful truth that their whole world view is imploding when faced with the light of knowledge. It would be laughable until you consider it's really similar to the defensive, paranoid behavior hardcore Scientologists exhibit when faced with critics. From the Sea Org's perspective the whole world is out to destroy them for trying to spread the Truth about Xenu and Scientology which can save the whole planet. Likewise these fundies for Christ see a whole Liberal (because Liberals are the new boogeyman controlled by Satan) juggernaut out to destroy them and waging war against them. The reality is no liberal - or anyone else for that matter - wants to do anything to them but are frankly frightened by their dangerously feral paranoia. Tragically I don't know if there is anything anyone can do for these people but let them have their self-imposed exile to this fantasy island of their making. The scary thing is that it will manufacture the fringe elements of the movement into unpredictable and dangerous lunatics which, when crossed with their love affair with firearms, will result in loss of life and property destruction followed by their inevitable capture or death in a shoot out with authorities.

For the majority of these dyed in the wool believers we are witnessing the process of the Evangelical fundamentalist Christian Patriot movement burning out. It will continue to get more and more feral and delusional until it finally collapses under the weight of its bullshit and stupidity. I doubt it will disappear altogether - these people are pretty damn stupid and stubborn - but we will have witnessed the end of the fundie's ambitions to turn the country into a cross between Mayberry and a totalitarian theocracy run by the likes of John Hagee. But that's still at least 10 years away. The process was hastened with the latest national election. A second term for Obama plus several Tea Party fundies going down in flames really knocked the Kiwanis out of the Religious Right, who thought they had a much bigger power base than they really did - that and 'God wants to give you a child by having a man rape you' scared the hell out of a lot of women.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Speaking of 'Orwellian' in the last post, I've long thought that satan was the Christian church's Emmanuel Goldstein. Discuss.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
(06-12-2012 08:09 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Speaking of 'Orwellian' in the last post, I've long thought that satan was the Christian church's Emmanuel Goldstein. Discuss.
Blink I never thought about it like that......dude....it makes so much sense.

Your analysis of the conservative religious right was spot on. Preach it brotha'. Bowing

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
(06-12-2012 05:30 PM)amyb Wrote:  or those who think orgasms are magical.

Blink but.....but......but.....orgasms ARE magical.