Satanic after school programs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2016, 06:30 AM
Satanic after school programs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/...hool-club/

Quote:Satanic Temple spokesman Finn Rezz told Oregon Live the club would focus on "on science and rational thinking," promoting "benevolence and empathy for everybody" – while providing an alternative voice to the Bible-centred “Good News Club”.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
28-09-2016, 07:50 AM
RE: Satanic after school programs
(28-09-2016 06:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/...hool-club/

Quote:Satanic Temple spokesman Finn Rezz told Oregon Live the club would focus on "on science and rational thinking," promoting "benevolence and empathy for everybody" – while providing an alternative voice to the Bible-centred “Good News Club”.

Those crazy Satanists. It's in Oregon so I'm betting it becomes the most popular club in school. Looks like there's already one in Oregon. Wonder what the numbers are?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-09-2016, 09:13 AM
(28-09-2016 06:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/...hool-club/

Good idea. Poor choice of name because it turns away potential beneficiaries of the program.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 6 users Like tomilay's post
28-09-2016, 09:38 AM
(28-09-2016 09:13 AM)tomilay Wrote:  

Good idea. Poor choice of name because it turns away potential beneficiaries of the program.

My thought exactly.

What "hook" wording would you use for an atheist, or even humanist, club for kids?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
28-09-2016, 10:14 AM
(28-09-2016 09:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 09:13 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Good idea. Poor choice of name because it turns away potential beneficiaries of the program.

My thought exactly.

What "hook" wording would you use for an atheist, or even humanist, club for kids?

Let's make science great again! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
28-09-2016, 10:43 AM

That's less than 3 miles away from me.

... maybe I should see if there's some sort of protest/counterprotest going on in the park across the way.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
28-09-2016, 10:57 AM
(28-09-2016 09:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 09:13 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Good idea. Poor choice of name because it turns away potential beneficiaries of the program.

My thought exactly.

Something sciency and playful. Rational Kids or something. But even that might ring alarm bells in some parts of this country.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
28-09-2016, 11:40 AM
(28-09-2016 10:57 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 09:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  My thought exactly.

Something sciency and playful. Rational Kids or something. But even that might ring alarm bells in some parts of this country.
Hmm, you need a word or phrase that resonates with the target age group or has a ring to it.

You can get kids interested in specific fields of science via "Space Club" or something similar. Ditto something with "Nature" in the title.

But you can't make it sound too academic - they get enough of that at school. Ideally you want the kids to be attracted without being pushed hy their parents, the willing kid absorbs more.

Part of the problem is that religionists have a more "coherent" shared belief, difficult to get any decent sized bunch of atheists to agree on much beyond the very basics!

Finding qualified, formally or informally, people to run and contribute knowledge and time is the next problem.

The STEM system is a good model for the format, but with heavy emphasis on hands on.

28-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Hey, we're all a little satanist, it's nothing to be ashamed of:

[Image: 4222548c9877666f0ae62979a43a97a4.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
28-09-2016, 12:41 PM
(28-09-2016 12:06 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Hey, we're all a little satanist, it's nothing to be ashamed of:

[Image: 4222548c9877666f0ae62979a43a97a4.jpg]

Never heard of "non-theistic Satanism".

Can such a Beast exist?

Sounds like an application of The Golden Rule in that c&p.