Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Satanism
I've often heard the accusation that atheists are satanists and found it to be absurd. But recently I had a bit of a brainstorm.

Now satanism as far as I know goes in about 3 categories :
1) Theistic - no different that regular religion in aspect/ritual/dogma
2) Cults - a regular brainwash cult that happens to use satanism
3) Symbolic - this one is the issue

With symbolic satanism (i.e LaVeyan ) it seems the word "satanist" is used as a word to protest against the status quo of religious institution.
Since both they and we protest religion we sort of get clumped together and I don't like it but I finally understood where it (atheist = satanist) stems from.

What do you think ? Do you think there's another reason ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 06:17 AM

RE: Satanism
I found this. Not sure if this is what your asking. It sort of answers the question for me.
Atheism Myths

"Myth:
Atheists worship Satan.

Response:
Here, we encounter a Christian assumption that, for some reason, only their god is relevant to the atheist; and if the atheist does not believe in their god, then they must worship the antithesis of their god, Satan. But the fact of the matter is, atheists who don't believe in a god also aren't going to believe in the god's supernatural competitor, either.

One scriptural source for the above claim may come from Matthew:

No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will hold to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. (Matthew 6:24)"

"Such an argument is invalid, however. First, it assumes the absolute truth of the Bible, or at least of that particular verse. This is a circular argument because it assumes something which is at the heart of the disagreement between the atheist and the Christian. Second, it is an example a False Dilemma fallacy because it assumes that the above are the only two choices. The idea that there may not exist any God or Satan, which would open up a wealth of other possibilities, does not seem to occur to the believer."
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 09:46 AM
The most intelligent justification I hear for it is usually along the lines of what you said, only in a little bit more literal sense. They first divide everything in the entire universe as either from god, or from the devil. Every single action a human does is actually either an influence from god, or from the devil(but we still have free will somehow). So, with the universe neatly divided into two section, godly/Christian and satanic, they categorize atheism as satanism. I've heard prolonged speeches on this, but following that logic other satanic things include: Feminism, Buddhism, science, abortion, stem cell research, and everything they don't agree with. It's a nice little blanket really. You disagree with me on this one particular issue? Devil worshiper.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
29-05-2011, 10:00 AM

This is completely Christian/Catholic/Mormon/Every other religion that believes in God or Jesus or the Bible.
*If you don't believe what I say, you're going to hell. -Modern Christians
*If you don't convert to Christianity, we will kill you. -Spanish Era Christians
*If you don't believe what I say I will hurt you. -Mormons
*If your Jewish, it means your people killed Jesus and you are evil. -Catholics
*If you don't believe in a god, that's rubbish! You believe in Satan!

Total B.S, typical religion though.
Retarded
Evil
Lying
Idiotic
God-fearing
Imbeciles
Of
Nature
29-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I get this , but LaVeyan satanism in particular seems to give off this vibe that confirms their belief.
The perspective of an outsider would be :

1)Atheists don't believe in god
2)Satanists don't believe in god but use symbols and rituals of satan
3)Atheists also believe in Satan

What I'm saying is that a lot of people see things this way and although you and I may find it silly , they don't. My idea is to find a good and logical counter argument that sets groups apart. How can we brake the false dichotomy of god/satan in religious people's minds.
Now I've read La Vey's Satanic Bible and it's a interesting read but that's it , however his little church has been proposing eugenics openly on occasion aimed at religious people and this can only be damaging , when such groups claim to speak for all non-believers.

Long story short : how do we break the false dichotomy of god/satan in the religious's mind so they don't clump atheists together with other anti-religious groups ?

29-05-2011, 03:17 PM

(29-05-2011 03:09 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Long story short : how do we break the false dichotomy of god/satan in the religious's mind so they don't clump atheists together with other anti-religious groups ?

Isn't fairly simply? By being an atheist you reject all gods, not just a particular one. In effect that means that you also reject the concept of the God (sorry, "Prince"... the christians only believe in one god... yeah, right! :dodgySmile of Darkness, namely Satan.

Satan is a christian "Dog" (pun intended); he's just not the one they prefer or worship. Let's see how they can cope with that argument...
29-05-2011, 03:22 PM

When my Fundamentalist Grandfather first learned that I didn't believe in God, he told me I worshiped the devil. I told him that was ridiculous; 'I dont believe in the devil!'

He told me that anyone who didn't pray to God and Christ were servants of the devil. Even if they didn't know it.

I think the big problem comes from the fact that they simply cannot understand how we do not believe in a creator. 'Oh, you must hate God.' It cannot be that we see the world without a divine hand. They cannot conceive it, so it must not exist.

It also makes us easier to hate. So that's a plus.
29-05-2011, 03:26 PM

(29-05-2011 03:22 PM)Cube Wrote:  I think the big problem comes from the fact that they simply cannot understand how we do not believe in a creator. 'Oh, you must hate God.' It cannot be that we see the world without a divine hand. They cannot conceive it, so it must not exist.

It also makes us easier to hate. So that's a plus.

I have the perfect solution to this problem. Next time something like that happens, tell them that you believe in Hauufhafdjfhuafjlaihfahfjskajfhau. They'll probably nod and sod off. Big Grin
29-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:Satan is a christian "Dog" (pun intended); he's just not the one they prefer or worship. Let's see how they can cope with that argument...
That's very good , though , they can dismiss satan as god-like. They do give him super natural powers , but they so with angels as well. Actually , Satan is a fallen angel if I remember my Bible correctly , no ? So they could just say he's less powerful than god or not A god. I think the christian concept of god is unquestioningly powerful with no other like it. So this may work with some but not others.

Quote:They cannot conceive it, so it must not exist.
Yeah , that explains a lot really ...

29-05-2011, 03:31 PM

(29-05-2011 03:27 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:Satan is a christian "Dog" (pun intended); he's just not the one they prefer or worship. Let's see how they can cope with that argument...
That's very good , though , they can dismiss satan as god-like. They do give him super natural powers , but they so with angels as well. Actually , Satan is a fallen angel if I remember my Bible correctly , no ? So they could just say he's less powerful than god or not A god. I think the christian concept of god is unquestioningly powerful with no other like it. So this may work with some but not others.

It's true. God's strength is so high that he allowed Satan to take dominion on Earth purely out of gentlemanship. Dodgy

"two fallacies don't make a truth.
around two billion of them, make the bible."