Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 07:28 AM
RE: Satanism
Like most people here, I would be inclined to describe that specific brand of Satanism as an atheist pseudo religion. At its core there is no god and it promotes free thinking, but it’s also crippled by blanket statement, prejudices, a little bit of childishness and far too much theatrical and provocative statement to be anything else than a big fat joke to pull on overly zealous Christians. On any «light Christian» (most people in the western world), it looks like a teenager attempt at looking badass which, of course, falls flat. The best part of Satanism are plagiarised from philosophical schools with much more depth than this. With this kind of reasoning I could create the cult of Badass Jesus. It's like Jesus teachings, but more badass.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like epronovost's post
08-08-2015, 07:39 AM
(08-08-2015 07:28 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Like most people here, I would be inclined to describe that specific brand of Satanism as an atheist pseudo religion. At its core there is no god and it promotes free thinking, but it’s also crippled by blanket statement, prejudices, a little bit of childishness and far too much theatrical and provocative statement to be anything else than a big fat joke to pull on overly zealous Christians. On any «light Christian» (most people in the western world), it looks like a teenager attempt at looking badass which, of course, falls flat. The best part of Satanism are plagiarised from philosophical schools with much more depth than this. With this kind of reasoning I could create the cult of Badass Jesus. It's like Jesus teachings, but more badass.

You said what I was thinking better than I could express it. The one good think I will say for the Church of Satanism is that the push to distribute coloring books and place statues in various locations is useful in illustrating to theists why we object to distributing religious materials and posting the ten commandments obelisks. In general, I don't see them very different than I look at the Jedis or Trekkies or anybody else who organizes their life around something like that. It doesn't bother me but it doesn't interest me either.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-08-2015, 08:18 AM
I'm not down with vengeance at all. It's a douchey way of approaching things that gets us shit like the Israeli/Palestinian war.

The idea that man is "more often" "much worse", and is "the most vicious animal of all", is simply unsupported.

And there are too many fucking exclamation points in that list ... who wrote it, a junior high girl?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
08-08-2015, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 08:53 AM by jennybee.)
I think I read somewhere (or in a documentary) that Lavey didn't believe in Satan as being a real entity. It was more of a philosophy. If I was going to worship any character from biblical times, it would be Lilith. She was a badass Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-08-2015, 10:22 AM
(08-08-2015 08:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think I read somewhere (or in a documentary) that Lavey didn't believe in Satan as being a real entity. It was more of a philosophy. If I was going to worship any character from biblical times, it would be Lilith. She was a badass Thumbsup

If I had to choose a biblical character, I would agree on Lilith too. If the myth was true, I would be very angry at Adam for his reaction. You find an interesting, competent, smart, charismatic woman who happens to also be slightly horny and you ditch her because you don't want to bottom during sex once in a while? Seriously, that's the worst argument for ending a relationship I have ever heard! Because of that, the alleged mother of humanity is an idiotic, submissive, chaste carpet that goes by the name of Eve who got tricked by a serpent whose entire argument could be translated by this: «C'mon Girl. You know you want it. ». Brilliant move Adam. Mankind should be proud of you.

PS: Is it me or in that myth God made two rooky mistakes and was a very crappy marriage counselor? He should stick to bloodshed, murder and plagues. That seems to be more his cup of tea.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
08-08-2015, 10:25 AM
(08-08-2015 07:22 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 01:22 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So let me get this straight. You say that Satanists (LeVeyan anyway) are atheists even though they have a canon and follow an imaginary thing that was thought up as a way to control others. Right.

Imaginary? I guess you are referring to Satan, correct?

Well, there is no belief in Satan, it is used as a symbol of individuality, pride, carnality, freedom, liberty things which people who worship external deities find "Evil". In hebrew Satan also means adversary, one to accuse, or question.

No one worships Satan, that'd be stupid.

Well, I think Daffy Duck is a symbol of individuality, pride, carnality, freedom and liberty too. Guess that makes me a Duckist......or maybe just daffy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Origin:
[Image: 1567887.jpg]

Improvement:
[Image: 54767048.jpg]

Improvement:
[Image: th?id=JN.H4xhxfZw25v69WV%2ffnYKXA&am...mp;amp;P=0]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-07-2016, 05:06 PM
As an atheist what attracted to me to Satanism be it the LaVeyan brand or the Satanic Temple kind is that both have a philosophy and moral code that I go for which is different than just being an atheist which just means I do not believe in a god. Satanism is more than just that
20-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I always thought it odd that people who claim to be atheists have an issue with atheists who are satanists and use satan as a symbol. christians I can see being upset by it but atheists?? And actually I know many christians who actually like what satanists do believe it or not
20-07-2016, 06:24 PM
(08-08-2015 12:20 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  It seems there are quite a few within the atheist community who do not know that Satanists are atheists and that Satanism is an atheistic religion. It was especially clear from one response to my introduction.

I will clear this up really easily.

Here are the core beliefs of Satanism:

The Nine Satanic Statements

by Anton Szandor LaVey
The Nine Satanic Statements originally appeared in The Satanic Bible, 1969

Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

and there also is this good excrept from an essay by the current High Priest entitled "What The Devil".

To summarize a typical individual’s journey from observing reality to declaring himself a Satanist, let us list several assertions:

Nature encompasses all that exists. There is nothing supernatural in Nature.
The spiritual is an illusion. I am utterly carnal.
Reason is my tool for cognition making faith anathema. I question all things. I am a skeptic.
I do not accept false dichotomies, finding instead the “third side” which brings me closest to understanding the mysteries of existence.
The universe is neither benevolent nor malevolent; it is indifferent.
There are no Gods. I am an atheist.
There is no intrinsic purpose to life beyond biological imperatives. I thus determine my own life’s meaning.
I decide what is of value. I am my own highest value therefore I am my own God. I am an I-theist.
Good is that which benefits me and promotes that which I hold in esteem.
Evil is that which harms me and hinders that which I cherish.
I live to maximize the Good for myself and those I value. At all times I remain in control of my pursuit of pleasure. I am an Epicurean.
Merit determines my criteria for the judgment of myself and others. I judge and am prepared to be judged.
I seek a just outcome in my exchanges with those around me. I thus will do unto others as I would prefer they do unto me. However, if they treat me poorly, I shall return that behavior in like degree.
I grasp the human need for symbols as a means for distillation of complex thought structures.
The symbol that best exemplifies my nature as an aware beast is Satan, the avatar of carnality, justice, and self-determination.
I see myself reflected in the philosophy created by Anton Szandor LaVey.
I am proud to call myself a Satanist.

Hopefully, some of you have been enlightened, and also this is very relevant:

Fixed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.