Satanism and Ritualism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2014, 04:31 AM
RE: Satanism and Ritualism
What kind of philosophy is Satanism based on?

I'm having a hard time understanding why a person should need a ritual for the sake of the ritual. Are these rituals supposed to help with something?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2014, 04:35 AM
(17-06-2014 04:31 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  What kind of philosophy is Satanism based on?

I'm having a hard time understanding why a person should need a ritual for the sake of the ritual. Are these rituals supposed to help with something?

Ritual for the sake of ritual sounds like masturbation; it makes you feel good and that's about it. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-06-2014, 06:03 AM
(16-06-2014 10:20 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  Satanism is much like Buddhism and Taoism in that it is a religion that is founded upon a philosophy, not divine claims nor mythology.

Are you talking about LaVeyan Satanism, or something else? I know next to nothing about the topic, but I know LaVey had his own philosophy on the matter, and that's the only one I know of regarding to Satanism.

(16-06-2014 10:20 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  Is the usage of ritual breaking the 'rules' of atheism and blurring the lines between sinner and saint? Or is it simply irrelevant as the etymological foundation of Atheism would imply?

The first rule of atheism is: you do not believe in any gods.
The second rule of atheism is: you do not believe in any gods.

...and that's really it. Anything else is talking about something different. If you add any more qualifiers to it, you're over-defining the term. This means that atheists can believe in unicorns, leprechauns, ghosts, Obama-Muslim-communist-Kenyan-born-Antichrist conspiracies, and they can even perform rituals. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any atheist posters here who believe in any of those things, but it's not technically off the table.

(16-06-2014 10:30 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Damnit, I was gunna say the same thing!! My soul is for sale to the highest bidder Yes

I'll give you a hug, if I ever see you in person. So, I guess I'll give you an over-the-Internet rain check on a hug in exchange for your over-the-Internet soul (can souls travel through telecom lines?).
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
17-06-2014, 06:12 AM
(16-06-2014 10:20 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  I am a Satanist(I will purchase your soul for the right price). Something many atheists may not now is that Satanists are atheists themselves(mostly) and that Satanism has been undergoing a great divide between the Theistic Satanists who profess that there is an actual Devil and worship him and the Atheistic Satanists who profess that there is no devil and all metaphysical concepts are symbolic.

Satanism is much like Buddhism and Taoism in that it is a religion that is founded upon a philosophy, not divine claims nor mythology.

The issue though is that Satanism is knee deep in ritual like Daoism and because of this people think it is theistic. I having studied Asian philosophy in the past(former Hindu and Muslim) highly regard ritual as beneficial to the human experience and will immediately side with Kong Fuzi on this topic. No metaphysical beings(gods, demons nor angels) exist beyond the very words you use to create existence of them.

Is the usage of ritual breaking the 'rules' of atheism and blurring the lines between sinner and saint? Or is it simply irrelevant as the etymological foundation of Atheism would imply?

If satanism is without any deities, then why is it called "satanism"? Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
17-06-2014, 07:04 AM
(17-06-2014 04:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Ritual for the sake of ritual sounds like masturbation; it makes you feel good and that's about it. Tongue

Far be it from me to criticize masturbation for its own sake. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
17-06-2014, 07:54 AM
(17-06-2014 06:12 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 10:20 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  I am a Satanist(I will purchase your soul for the right price). Something many atheists may not now is that Satanists are atheists themselves(mostly) and that Satanism has been undergoing a great divide between the Theistic Satanists who profess that there is an actual Devil and worship him and the Atheistic Satanists who profess that there is no devil and all metaphysical concepts are symbolic.

Satanism is much like Buddhism and Taoism in that it is a religion that is founded upon a philosophy, not divine claims nor mythology.

The issue though is that Satanism is knee deep in ritual like Daoism and because of this people think it is theistic. I having studied Asian philosophy in the past(former Hindu and Muslim) highly regard ritual as beneficial to the human experience and will immediately side with Kong Fuzi on this topic. No metaphysical beings(gods, demons nor angels) exist beyond the very words you use to create existence of them.

Is the usage of ritual breaking the 'rules' of atheism and blurring the lines between sinner and saint? Or is it simply irrelevant as the etymological foundation of Atheism would imply?

If satanism is without any deities, then why is it called "satanism"? Hobo

Like Pastafarianism. I toyed around with LaVeyan Satanism in high school Blush
Mostly to fuck with people.

Though, I didn't know anyone actually believed in the devil. From my understanding it was just ritual to either fuck with people or just because it relaxed you (like a form of meditation).

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
17-06-2014, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2014 09:31 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(17-06-2014 07:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 06:12 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  If satanism is without any deities, then why is it called "satanism"? Hobo

Like Pastafarianism. I toyed around with LaVeyan Satanism in high school Blush
Mostly to fuck with people.

Though, I didn't know anyone actually believed in the devil. From my understanding it was just ritual to either fuck with people or just because it relaxed you (like a form of meditation).

The big problem I see is that, as a polar-opposite reaction to xtian batshittery, it's slave to xtian batshittery, and just equal-opposite batshittery..

It's like they believe in xtian tenets and rituals more than xtians do. And they seem to play into xtian assumptions hook, line and sinker, and aid xtians in their "good/evil" dichotomy bullshit delusions by providing the role of "Evil" in their little morality play. They give xtians a living, breathing Bogeyman to point to, where before they only had a straw man.

To me, it's like someone jumping up and down and shouting, "No, the Emperor is dressed in rags!"

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
17-06-2014, 09:30 AM
I think all ritual type behaviors and events are just to staisfy the human mind's fascination with magic - nothing more. They do not accomplish anything, change anything within reality, or mean anything outside of the mind of the participants of the ritual. When it comes down to it, it is quite childish in my view. Going as far as to identify an entity to which the ritual is directed to is just all that much more silly.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
17-06-2014, 09:44 AM
[Image: whatever-floats-your-goat-500x438.jpg]

Hey if it works for you have fun with it. Satanism always seemed a bit silly to me but then so do Trekkies and there are a lot of those. I will say Satanists are better at the grand gesture, see the statue in Oklahoma vs the Atheist ugly ass toilet bench in florida.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
17-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't get rituals of that type. When I attended catholic church it was full of rituals. They were just boring to me.

But then I don't have all that many real life rituals either, I like mixing it up a bit.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man