Satire is useless, bad?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: Satire is useless, bad?!
(23-04-2015 03:45 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Ever since I read the satire "Candide" by Voltaire I've stayed well away from optimism.

I can't quite decide whether Leibniz' "best of all possible worlds" idea is extreme optimism or extreme pessimism Tongue

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
23-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Not a fan. In a world of honestly stupid and annoying people, people being dishonestly stupid and annoying is more than I need.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2015, 08:46 PM
(23-04-2015 12:40 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Yet again I come to rant about another discussion at uni. It was about Charlie Hebdo, and the person starting the conversation was saying that "they shouldn't have done that because it's not allowed by muslims". Which would follow that anything that is not allowed by muslims, we should also not do.

Another person, after I explained the importance of challenging common beliefs and norms through satire, "i understand the need we use to have for it but we don't need it any more, I think it's pointless".

My friends aren't very bright. They're the typical university students of this generation, overly optimistic living in a fantasy world where you should go out of your way to never ever hurt the feelings or offend others.

I don't support the actions of going out of your way to purposefully insult muslims, or any one for that matter. Though I do support free speech, including freedom to challenge norms, standards, ethics, concepts, EVERYTHING!!! It's a harmless way of progressing as a society. One of the benefits I saw from the past 10 years of the massive eruptions of outrage of the images of MoMo being in magazines n stuff is that a number of muslims have come out with their own images to show that they are not offended and that they are proud. They've embraced satire.

The problem I have when conversations like this arise is that I get so many things to say, I go into a total adrenaline rush meltdown and don't make any good points at all. All I could say is that satire is a fundamental part of a progress free society. Couldn't explain why because of my crazy mind. And that people should not DIE for satire.

I think I just get speechless at how ignorant some people can get. Not understand what satire is yet condemning it. Most people think it's just being rude, it's not.

Put shortly: In a free society, you do not have the right to be free of offense.
23-04-2015, 08:48 PM
(23-04-2015 03:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  My take is that satire is basically a necessity. Well structured satire can be an excellent vehicle for exposing flaws in a communicable and understandable way to others.

Humor is perhaps the best form of critique, insofar as it avoids pedantry, cuts to the quick, and arouses a smile even in the target, when done well.
24-04-2015, 04:08 AM
(23-04-2015 03:52 PM)Alex K Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 03:45 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Ever since I read the satire "Candide" by Voltaire I've stayed well away from optimism.

I can't quite decide whether Pangloss' "best of all possible worlds" idea is extreme optimism or extreme pessimism Tongue

Fixt!

Meanwhile... I can't imagine British society without satire.

HIGNFY, Private Eye, Radio 4, Steve Bell... these are among the things I miss most.

Blink

24-04-2015, 06:27 AM
(23-04-2015 03:52 PM)Alex K Wrote:  

I can't quite decide whether Leibniz' "best of all possible worlds" idea is extreme optimism or extreme pessimism Tongue

Like DLJ said, it's Pangloss Tongue

& I think of it as a type of "Que sera, sera". He seems fed up with optimism!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
24-04-2015, 06:48 AM
(24-04-2015 06:27 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 03:52 PM)Alex K Wrote:  I can't quite decide whether Leibniz' "best of all possible worlds" idea is extreme optimism or extreme pessimism Tongue

& I think of it as a type of "Que sera, sera". He seems fed up with optimism!

Actually it's both. I was just being pretentious.

24-04-2015, 06:59 AM
(24-04-2015 06:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:   I was just being pretentious.

Yeah, that's news. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 06:59 AM
(24-04-2015 06:27 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 03:52 PM)Alex K Wrote:  I can't quite decide whether Leibniz' "best of all possible worlds" idea is extreme optimism or extreme pessimism Tongue

duh.
Tongue

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.