Satire or reality: is this blog a joke or a reality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Satire or reality: is this blog a joke or a reality
Recently a small blog has become famous thanks to a hilariously offensive blog defending Christy Sheats, a mother accused of killing her daughters, because her daughters were supposedly involved with black people. This perticular article was read more than 300 000 times. Of course, since the blog is so racist and mysoginistic, it was called a hoax, but some still doubt that it might be actually real. Personnaly, I find it to over the top to be anything else than a hoax that finally worked. For those who would be interested in making up their own mind, here is a link to the blog in question.

https://jennifermayers.wordpress.com/

This leads me to question the impact of satire both as a humoristical and teaching tool. If it's so hard to make the difference between satire and reality, can satire still fonction and exist? I am starting to wonder if internet, fundamentalism and extremism have killed satire. Now, no matter how obnoxious, offensive or delirious is your satire, someone can genuinly believe you are expressing your ideas since some people do indeed share such disgusting point of views. Perhapse this explains why sarcasm and satire are so frequently perceived as vicious personnal attack on a specific belief. The person at the other end of the process isn't sure if you are telling your opinion as is or if you are exagerating it for comedic value. Do you think true satire is dying?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 12:00 PM
RE: Satire or reality: is this blog a joke or a reality
Poe's law is alive and well.

As for satire.... it's definitely still around. It's just gotten harder to distinguish from reality, both because reality is wackier and because people recognizing it.
02-07-2016, 12:10 PM
So there's nothing to tip this off as a POE. The spelling g and grammar are good enough and the capitalization doesn't strike me as off. There's also the use of the word miscegenation which I didn't know what it was until I googled it. Because I'm a normal person who doesn't give a shit.

There are people who think like her. I've met a BUNCH of them in MS, TN, and especially AL. I'm almost willing to bet this woman is out of one of those. I'm gonna read a few more, but I don't think she's a satire from what I've seen.
02-07-2016, 12:25 PM
I scrolled down to a random post, and this was the first and last thing I read:
Quote:Friends, I invite you to ponder the image above. The beautiful woman is Christy Sheats. The Texas wife and mother who is being vilified in the media for shooting and killing her teenage daughters. It makes for a great headline in mainstream media but what goes unsaid is even more powerful.

A devout Republican and gun rights advocate, she no doubt discovered that both of her daughters had been promiscuous and were sleeping with black boys and she took it upon herself to put an end to that cycle. She was brave enough to stand up and say ENOUGH! Not in MY house! And she should be lauded.
...Blink
I pray to the gods that she's a poe. Doesn't matter, though. She'd still be a fucking cunt either way.

I think I've read enough for one day Undecided

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-07-2016, 01:03 PM
It's not satire like Christians for Michelle Bachmann. It looks to be more like exploitation maybe intended to either expose, elicit, or incite race-baiting. According to popo Christy Shears apparent motive was to cause her husband lifelong suffering by killing their daughters. One of the daughters was set to marry her long time boyfriend since 2011. His name was Juan Sebastian Lugo. Christy, who apparently had no prior problem with their relationship, in some sorta psycho fit banned her 22yo daughter from seeing her boyfriend the day before her wedding. Her husband objected that she's 22yo adult. And then the bullets hit the floor. Christy had already been denied a handgun license in the past. The one she used on her daughters came from her grandfather's estate. This is an example where the system worked and psycho killer was refused a weapon but she got one from gramps lockbox when he died anyway.

That's my read anyway.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Extreme satire at its..... worst. Shocking

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.