Saudi court sentences poet to death for renouncing Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Saudi court sentences poet to death for renouncing Islam
A Palestinian poet and leading member of Saudi Arabia’s nascent contemporary art scene has been sentenced to death for renouncing Islam.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n...cing-islam

Islam - the religion of peace eh?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2016, 04:36 AM
RE: Saudi court sentences poet to death for renouncing Islam
Article is from 2015. Later article says death sentence was overturned although replaced by 8 years in jail and 800 lashes. Yikes Confused

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-11-2016, 04:55 AM
(22-11-2016 04:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Article is from 2015. Later article says death sentence was overturned although replaced by 8 years in jail and 800 lashes. Yikes Confused

I stand corrected. Didn't notice the date. Still pretty harsh punishment for having the audacity to think for yourself. And to think Saudi Arabia is a current member of the UN Human Rights Council.Huh

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
22-11-2016, 05:08 AM
(22-11-2016 04:55 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 04:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Article is from 2015. Later article says death sentence was overturned although replaced by 8 years in jail and 800 lashes. Yikes Confused

I stand corrected. Didn't notice the date. Still pretty harsh punishment for having the audacity to think for yourself. And to think Saudi Arabia is a current member of the UN Human Rights Council.Huh

There are other linked articles about a teenager being sentenced to death, another teenager sentenced to beheading and crucifixion... it's pretty goddamn barbaric.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-11-2016, 02:35 PM
800 lashes? Isn't it death sentence by another name?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-11-2016, 11:13 PM
(22-11-2016 02:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
800 lashes? Isn't it death sentence by another name?

The court isn't that inhumane! 16 lots of 50 each spaced out over the 8 years - one every 6 months. All for daring to write some maaaaaybe not so enthusiastic poetry that didn't really extol the virtues of Allah. Being literate in Saudi Arabia is a high risk occupation these days it seems.

22-11-2016, 11:20 PM
(22-11-2016 11:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 02:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  800 lashes? Isn't it death sentence by another name?

The court isn't that inhumane! 16 lots of 50 each spaced out over the 8 years - one every 6 months.

That is what I call mercy.

Quote: All for daring to write some maaaaaybe not so enthusiastic poetry that didn't really extol the virtues of Allah. Being literate in Saudi Arabia is a high risk occupation these days it seems.

Agreed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-11-2016, 02:51 PM
That "mercy" reminds me of the last time Saudi justice came up in a Comparative class. Like, how the Saudis sometimes crucify you in the 21st century...though sometimes you get to be beheaded before they crucify your body.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user