Sauna Competition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Sauna Competition
Has anyone ever heard of this?

I heard on the radio this morning that Finland is not continuing this competition after the death of a Russian several years ago. article here

So basically, they get the sauna to insane temperatures and see who can last the longest. By insane, I mean temperatures in the 110C range (230F for the US readers). According to another article I found on this incident, there were over 1000 spectators at the event. Wow.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-02-2016, 08:55 AM
RE: Sauna Competition
I was reminded of that fatal incident when I read the title of your thread and wanted to post an article about it in response... but I see that you already beat me to it Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-02-2016, 09:24 AM
I remember hearing about that when it happened.

Does not sound like a fun way to die, basically cooking yourself to death...

I also remember reading about a sweat-lodge purification rite. Not sure if it was a legitimate thing or fictional. In any case, you were supposed to do the rite in the winter when it was really cold. You would sit in the sweat-lodge for a time, getting all nice and toasty, then run outside into the cold and jump into a stream of icy water.

I don't know if it will purify you, but it would sure wake your ass up.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
05-02-2016, 09:34 AM
That reminds me, there's a sale on lobster at Albertson's.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-02-2016, 11:59 AM
(05-02-2016 09:24 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I remember hearing about that when it happened.

I also remember reading about a sweat-lodge purification rite. Not sure if it was a legitimate thing or fictional. In any case, you were supposed to do the rite in the winter when it was really cold. You would sit in the sweat-lodge for a time, getting all nice and toasty, then run outside into the cold and jump into a stream of icy water.

Legitimate. Three people died in Arizona and the person who organized the event went to prison for a bit.
05-02-2016, 12:30 PM
(05-02-2016 11:59 AM)julep Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 09:24 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I remember hearing about that when it happened.

Legitimate. Three people died in Arizona and the person who organized the event went to prison for a bit.

If I remember correctly, that was from dehydration. This guy had 3rd degree burns and apparently had taken painkillers and used a protective lotion which was against the rules. That is insane.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
05-02-2016, 12:32 PM
(05-02-2016 12:30 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 11:59 AM)julep Wrote:  Legitimate. Three people died in Arizona and the person who organized the event went to prison for a bit.

If I remember correctly, that was from dehydration. This guy had 3rd degree burns and apparently had taken painkillers and used a protective lotion which was against the rules. That is insane.

Which one, as there were three people who died, according to the reports I saw? Or are you talking about Finland?
05-02-2016, 01:57 PM
(05-02-2016 08:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I was reminded of that fatal incident when I read the title of your thread and wanted to post an article about it in response... but I see that you already beat me to it Tongue

Big Grin

- Paul Dirac
05-02-2016, 01:58 PM
(05-02-2016 12:32 PM)julep Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 12:30 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  If I remember correctly, that was from dehydration. This guy had 3rd degree burns and apparently had taken painkillers and used a protective lotion which was against the rules. That is insane.

Which one, as there were three people who died, according to the reports I saw? Or are you talking about Finland?

The one in Arizona. I seem to remember a Native American ritual sweating and they were in there for a long time without water. That could of course be a different incident.

- Paul Dirac
05-02-2016, 02:14 PM
"Sauna Competition" ....

Erxomai, you're falling down on your job. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.