Saving Endangered Species by HUNTING them????????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Saving Endangered Species by HUNTING them????????
Yes, it's true. Take the case of Black Rhinocerous (Diceros bicornis). The animal is critically endangered and one of its subspecies, the Western Black Rhinocerous, has already become extinct.

But thanks to conservation efforts the Black Rhino may be making a comeback in part due to more controversial means to raise money and awareness, one of which is a acutioning off licenses for a limited legal hunt of these animals on a wildlife preserve in Nanibia.

Enter Corey Knowlton, a Dallas native who won, by auction, a legal permit from the Nanibian government to hunt and take one black rhino. The permit, auctioned off for $350,000 will give Knowlton a once in a lifetime hunt, but the hunt might also cost him his life thanks to minitant animal rights activists.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/us/black-r...?hpt=hp_t1

Members of the ALF and other extreme groups have openly threatened to kill both Knowlton and his family for accepting this permit to hunt an endangered Black Rhino.

But here's the thing. In hunting the Rhino, Knowlton may actually be helping to save the species.

It's a controversial idea about how best to save these creatures from poachers. Laws against hunting Rhinos and limited conservation efforts have been proposed but neither have had much luck stopping the decline of the species by black market poachers. So various african governments have adopted a new strategy - allow private game wardens to create preserves where rhinos are bred and raised, and allow controlled - and legal - rhino hunts for those interested in doing so. The money made from the hunts can allow the preserves to further breed new rhinos and raise awareness about the wild animal's plight and need for conservation.

It's not like it doesn't work. In North America, the American Bison, or Buffalo (Bison Bison) once roamed the prairies and grasslands of the midwest USA and Canada, and numbered in the millions. Massive herds of these magnificent animals would stretch across entire skylines. But massive, unregulated hunting by european settlers nearly drove the animal to extinction. In 1492 there were an est. 60,000,000 bison in North America; by 1890 a mere 750 were left. But thanks to private ranchers breeding and raising freerange bison - as well as permitting controlled legal hunts of the animal - the number of bison, as of the year 2000 was 750,000.

This idea has also been proposed as a means of saving the Bengal Tiger (P. tigris tigris) from extinction by poaching as well.

This apparently is not good enough for animal rights groups who can't - or willfully refuse to - understand that privatizing as well as controlled hunting can actually save a species. I support these kind of controlled hunts, not because I like hurting animals, but because I see the greater picture and know these kinds of conservation efforts get results and can bring animals back from the brink of extinction.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-01-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: Saving Endangered Species by HUNTING them????????
These people are idiots that don't actually want a workable solution. They want to bang their drums about their cause and refuse to consider real world solutions. This hunt is a good thing, it raised a ton of money for the cause and will probably save 100 fold or more the Rhinos that will ever be killed by granting these one off permits.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-01-2014, 09:04 AM
I hope the highest bidder is an animal-lover and spares him.
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
17-01-2014, 09:09 AM
(17-01-2014 09:04 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I hope the highest bidder is an animal-lover and spares him.

I doubt it lol, but it doesn't really matter as long as they raise the money. It's not about killing the animal, it's about saving the rest of the species

Atir aissom atir imon
17-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Hey if this works we have a new way to raise money for cancer research.....

Big Grin

Just sayin
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
17-01-2014, 09:21 AM
(17-01-2014 09:11 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hey if this works we have a new way to raise money for cancer research.....

Big Grin

Just sayin

I laughed little too hard at this...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
17-01-2014, 09:48 AM
What I'm trying to say.

This is not a "real world" solution, its a lazy solution.

Doing things the best way, the "best practice" is hard I get that. But killing them off for cash is just a veiled way to give the rich what they want and appease people who give two flicks about life other than humanoid. "Yes this goes to ....charity....see its okay now.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
17-01-2014, 09:51 AM
(17-01-2014 09:48 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  What I'm trying to say.

Doing things the best way, the "best practice" is hard I get that. But killing them off for cash is just a veiled way to give the rich what they want and appease people who give two flicks about life other than humanoid. "Yes this goes to ....charity....see its okay now.

I see where you're coming from, but you also need to see the other side. Most people don't give damn. Or, they do, but don't have the means to help. So, instead, since people are already killing them, make some money off it. Yes, I realize the twisted morals in what I'm saying. I realize it's not the right way, but this is a "real world" solution in my opinion.
People are people, you're not gonna change the world with a few dying puppy commercials...

Atir aissom atir imon
17-01-2014, 10:59 AM
(17-01-2014 09:48 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  What I'm trying to say.

Culling the old and injured makes the herd healthier - it's what predators do.

This hunt will target a old male who won't be reproducing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-01-2014, 11:04 AM
(17-01-2014 09:04 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I hope the highest bidder is an animal-lover and spares him.

I'd like to see the bidding war between the two sides.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post