Saving Endangered Species by HUNTING them????????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 01:44 PM
RE: Saving Endangered Species by HUNTING them????????
(18-01-2014 01:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is some clever outside the box thinking. But if dude really wants to maximize his $350,000 experience, he needs to take on the old bull face-to-face, hand-to-hand, mano y rhino. ... This could actually work.

Girly I'll tell you what. If he wants to fight that rhino hand to hand, Ill support it. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2014, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2014 09:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Knowlton LOVES to have his picture taken with BIG dead animals. They're all over. All kinds of them. It's his thing. Cuz it proves what a big dick ya have, standing next to a big dead animal.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-01-2014, 02:02 PM
(18-01-2014 01:44 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 01:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is some clever outside the box thinking. But if dude really wants to maximize his $350,000 experience, he needs to take on the old bull face-to-face, hand-to-hand, mano y rhino. ... This could actually work.

Girly I'll tell you what. If he wants to fight that rhino hand to hand, Ill support it. Tongue

The old bull's already been selected he just don't know it yet and they know where he is. For $350,000 Girly'd want something more than just driving up a couple hundred yards away and shooting him. The opportunity to try and take his ass down without ballistics (knives, spears, nets, traps and beer bottles are still fair game for the puny human) , now that might be worth $350K. Big Grin

(18-01-2014 01:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Knowlton LOVES to have his picture taken with BIG dead animals. They're all over. All kinds of them. It's his thing. Cuz it proves what a big dick ya have, standing next to big dead animal.
Weeping

Yeah, dick's gonna just drive up a couple hundred yards away and shoot him so he can put a pic up on FaceBook. Weeping

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-01-2014, 02:05 PM
(18-01-2014 02:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 01:44 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Girly I'll tell you what. If he wants to fight that rhino hand to hand, Ill support it. Tongue

The old bull's already been selected he just don't know it yet and they know where he is. For $350,000 Girly'd want something more than just driving up a couple hundred yards away and shooting him. The opportunity to try and take his ass down without ballistics (knives, spears, nets, traps and beer bottles are still fair game for the puny human) , now that might be worth $350K. Big Grin

(18-01-2014 01:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Knowlton LOVES to have his picture taken with BIG dead animals. They're all over. All kinds of them. It's his thing. Cuz it proves what a big dick ya have, standing next to big dead animal.
Weeping

Yeah, dick's gonna just drive up a couple hundred yards away and shoot him so he can put a pic up on FaceBook. Weeping

Naw. He can just have a knife. Thats being generous for less than 500,000. Really he should only get a rock.
If he ups it to 1 mill....I might let him have a spear.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
18-01-2014, 02:17 PM
(18-01-2014 02:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 02:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The old bull's already been selected he just don't know it yet and they know where he is. For $350,000 Girly'd want something more than just driving up a couple hundred yards away and shooting him. The opportunity to try and take his ass down without ballistics (knives, spears, nets, traps and beer bottles are still fair game for the puny human) , now that might be worth $350K. Big Grin

Naw. He can just have a knife. Thats being generous for less than 500,000. Really he should only get a rock.
If he ups it to 1 mill....I might let him have a spear.

Think I'd want a net and a knife. But it's gonna have to be a real proper knife. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Managed hunting is a proven solution to conservation. It's not about whether it's cruel or not.

I don't know if it'll work for the Rhino though, because... the horn is literally like gold. Poachers come in with helicopters these days. It's frikken *mad*. You can't stop them effectively. The horn is so valuable and men on the ground are spread too thin. It's easy to give up a percentage of the value of the horn to bribe people to get it out of the country, *any* of the guys who work in these parks the kind of sums are in excess of a year's salary. It only takes a couple of guys to crack and you've got yourself a dead Rhino... shot without a permit...

No one's really sure how to tackle the Rhino conservation issue. People are trying anything and everything because so far it's a losing battle. Hopefully something will work soon because otherwise... they will go extinct in a short time.

I hope that this does prove to be at least of some use in the fight...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
18-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Maybe the man can pay money to hunt poachers.
19-01-2014, 12:05 AM
(18-01-2014 09:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Maybe the man can pay money to hunt poachers.

While potentially satisfying it would set a terrible legal precedent. One solution that is much talked about at the moment is poisoning the horn. That way you take out the end user bastards who're making the whole cycle work by paying such ridiculous amounts of money. That's also a bit of a legal nightmare though, as you're essentially carrying out premeditated murder...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-01-2014, 07:41 AM
(19-01-2014 12:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 09:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Maybe the man can pay money to hunt poachers.

While potentially satisfying it would set a terrible legal precedent. One solution that is much talked about at the moment is poisoning the horn. That way you take out the end user bastards who're making the whole cycle work by paying such ridiculous amounts of money. That's also a bit of a legal nightmare though, as you're essentially carrying out premeditated murder...

As I see what poachers are doing as murder of a horrific kind...I'm okay with the thought. lol
20-01-2014, 02:19 PM
(17-01-2014 09:48 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  What I'm trying to say.

This is not a "real world" solution, its a lazy solution.

Doing things the best way, the "best practice" is hard I get that. But killing them off for cash is just a veiled way to give the rich what they want and appease people who give two flicks about life other than humanoid. "Yes this goes to ....charity....see its okay now.

"If it's stupid, but works, it is not stupid."
- Unknown

But then again, what's wrong with giving a super wealthy person the opportunity to take such a hunt if they want to when it can generate more progress and money to prevent these animals from going extinct.

If mere conservation doesn't increase the total population of the Black Rhino and illegal poaching is killing them off faster than they can reproduce using current conservation methods and there is a demand for Black Rhino products? Why not allow a select few legal hunts and sell them off at very high prices, then use the money to develop new preserves and breeding programs for the Black Rhino.

One can argue that it is a reprehensible idea to give into this demand for the horns and hide of an endangered animal by the wealthy - and maybe it is. But a lot of good things which we enjoy in life started off as luxuries for the rich.

Take the airlines for instance. At the end of WWI, the airplane had just received it's first major use as a military reconnisance platform and a weapon of war. Prior to that the airplane had just been a fanciful machination for daredevils and exhibitionists who routinely wowed crowds and often killed themselves in the process. In the 20's airplanes got their first use as mail carriers when some entrepreneur got the idea that they could haul mail for the postal service plus they would sell expensive seats in small number to the general public who wanted to travel. Early airline service in europe was expensive and limited, but the public not to mention wealthy people were wild about the idea of flying in an airplane, so they paid the high price for the experience. And a fledgling airline industry was formed that paved the way to modern air travel.

Another example is the electric car. Electric cars have existed since the early 1900s but never really could compete with their gasoline powered counterparts due to limitations in battery technology. Environmentalists have long demanded that current auto manufactures cease maunfacturing gas powered automobiles and make electric cars exclusively but never was able to obtain any momentum in Detroit or Japan given the existing technical hurdles and limited capabilities.

Now enter Elon Musk, who recoginized a demand for electric cars by the public for environmental reasons and understood the economics of launching a company to produce a new product. Musk's solution was to form what is now Tesla Motors and marked a high end electric sportscar, the Tesla Roadster for wealthy consumers. He knew if he could sell enough of them, that he could them market successively cheaper electric vehicles until reaching the point that he could sell an electric car with good range and capabilities to the average consumer. He succeeded in doing so with the Tesla Roadster and Tesla Model S sedan and is within a few years of releasing an all electric car priced in the $30,000 USD range which is marketed to the middle class.

So yes, if giving a few rich people the thrill of hunting a black rhino generates the revenue required to save the Rhino from extinction and other conservation efforts are failing, I see no reason not to do it. It may not live up to one's lofty ideals, but so what?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade