Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?
I've found the tradition of saying "Grace" before a meal to be quite conceited. You always hear this crap about "We need to thank God for providing us with this food. There are other people that are less fortunate that are starving in this world."

REALLY? The fact that there are other people starving in this world is your DEFENSE?! In other words, you're thanking God for making you one of the special ones and giving you food, while other people around the world are starving. Yet, you fail to understand how incredibly conceited that comes across?

In all honesty, if I had food and was next to a starving child I would rather give my food to them, and end up dying of starvation myself, than eat and allow that child to starve to death. Just my opinion, but according to these people I'm just an evil atheist, right?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
31-10-2013, 12:14 PM
RE: Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?
My family and a dozen other families close to me growing up were very religious (church of england).
but no one ever said grace, I figured it was some weird american custom because i seen it on TV alot.
Where did the tradition come from ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
31-10-2013, 12:19 PM
(31-10-2013 11:55 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I've found the tradition of saying "Grace" before a meal to be quite conceited. You always hear this crap about "We need to thank God for providing us with this food. There are other people that are less fortunate that are starving in this world."

REALLY? The fact that there are other people starving in this world is your DEFENSE?! In other words, you're thanking God for making you one of the special ones and giving you food, while other people around the world are starving. Yet, you fail to understand how incredibly conceited that comes across?

In all honesty, if I had food and was next to a starving child I would rather give my food to them, and end up dying of starvation myself, than eat and allow that child to starve to death. Just my opinion, but according to these people I'm just an evil atheist, right?

It's pretty ugly, I agree. You thank your master for whatever you're allowed to have and you thank your master for not hurting you.

I still can't get over everyone thanking their god for saving them when it's his own judgement they're being saved from. And through human sacrifice, no less. "Follow my rules and I won't burn you for all eternity." Wow, what a nice guy. Weeping

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
31-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Re: RE: Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?
(31-10-2013 11:55 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I've found the tradition of saying "Grace" before a meal to be quite conceited. You always hear this crap about "We need to thank God for providing us with this food. There are other people that are less fortunate that are starving in this world."

Many people would do the same when in that scenario. I don't get what is conceited about saying grace because they are absolutely correct to acknowledge that they are lucky and more fortunate.

It's just not due to any gods that they are lucky. For most of them it's by the aspects they never control either, their birthplace and parents situation.

If the post above me is right, that's a but surprising to me, I never knew of grace being a overtly Americas tradition, and I'm not aware of it's origins.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
31-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't know if it is conceited. I have never heard someone say that they say grace because other people are starving. I grew up as a Christian. We had 30 hour famine once a month at church lock-ins. We would all have sponsors and collect up as much money and food as possible, and then we would lock ourselves in the church for 30 hours with nothing but water and pray for the hungry. In my family home we also did a lot of Saturday fasts where we would not eat from midnight Friday to midnight Saturday. In this time we read the bible and we prayed for god to feed the hungry. It may be delusional but I don't think it is conceited. You cannot expect god to answer your prayers for others if you never give thanks for what he has given you. (That is what my mom always says)
Everyone is different. No matter what religion someone is or if they're atheist, every person is different. Every group has bad people who are conceited and selfish. I think most people are good, though. My mother for example has a deep love for the poor. She asks gods blessing on those less fortunate than her every time she gives thanks for what she has. She posts little stories on facebook of some unfortunate family or other who were "miraculously" fed, and she believes that means her prayers are working. Is it silly? Sure it is. I don't think it is conceited though.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
31-10-2013, 12:30 PM
(31-10-2013 12:14 PM)sporehux Wrote:  My family and a dozen other families close to me growing up were very religious (church of england).
but no one ever said grace, I figured it was some weird american custom because i seen it on TV alot.
Where did the tradition come from ?
Hunter gatherer days, long ago folks had to hunt for their own food and not just go to the supermarketTongue I think it started as a token of respect, knowing that you had to kill this animal so that you and your tribe can live. Some tribes believed that the animal gave its life up willingly so that you could live on, and they would pray to whatever god or spirit. Its kind of a sweet gesture I guess, although it lost some of its charm. Nowadays gods don't deserve any thanks, lol should be thanking the farmhands, the butcher, the grocer.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
31-10-2013, 12:31 PM
(31-10-2013 12:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Many people would do the same when in that scenario. I don't get what is conceited about saying grace because they are absolutely correct to acknowledge that they are lucky and more fortunate.

I agree with this! You may not say grace or believe in god, but are you not thankful that you are fortunate enough to eat when you are hungry? Does it make you conceited to be glad you're one of the lucky ones?
31-10-2013, 12:42 PM
"I'm glad I have things" is a thought which need not be connected to anything else. Happy with what you have to be happy with is a rather healthy sentiment.

Now, given the extra framing in the OP, it turns into some pretty standard compartmentalisation. Amended to "I'm glad I have things not everyone has" the idea can still be expressed without turning to what might seem to be its logical follow-on, "why doesn't everyone have comparable things?"

S'not like people are going to want to contemplate the problem of evil before every meal...

... this is my signature!
31-10-2013, 01:02 PM
There seems to be some misunderstanding about my post. I am not saying that people are thanking God for not feeding others. What I'm saying is that it implies that God considers some people more special than others. When some people are starving and others are not - and the people who are not are thanking God for feeding them - then it is implying that God helped them, even though he did not help others.

This may not be the intention of Christians when saying grace, but it doesn't change the fact that when a person thanks God for feeding them - while others are starving - they are implying that they are more special in the eyes of God.

I have seen this attitude used very heartlessly towards others though when it comes to people that are starving who are NOT Christians. They'll justify the fact that these people are starving with the reason of "They are not Christians, and that is why God is not helping them!"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
31-10-2013, 01:20 PM
(31-10-2013 01:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  There seems to be some misunderstanding about my post. I am not saying that people are thanking God for not feeding others. What I'm saying is that it implies that God considers some people more special than others. When some people are starving and others are not - and the people who are not are thanking God for feeding them - then it is implying that God helped them, even though he did not help others.

This may not be the intention of Christians when saying grace, but it doesn't change the fact that when a person thanks God for feeding them - while others are starving - they are implying that they are more special in the eyes of God.

I have seen this attitude used very heartlessly towards others though when it comes to people that are starving who are NOT Christians. They'll justify the fact that these people are starving with the reason of "They are not Christians, and that is why God is not helping them!"

When you are thankful that you have food to eat, are you implying that you deserve the food more than others? I think not.

I'm not saying there aren't cruel heartless people out there who believe god doesn't feed certain people because they're not Christian. I have never met anyone like that. I have never heard anyone say anything like that (except Pat Robertson). I get your point to an extent but I think people like this are the exception not the rule. Maybe I am wrong. I only have the limited exposure of Christians I know verses Christian extremists I have seen on television.