Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?
(31-10-2013 11:55 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  REALLY? The fact that there are other people starving in this world is your DEFENSE?! In other words, you're thanking God for making you one of the special ones and giving you food, while other people around the world are starving. Yet, you fail to understand how incredibly conceited that comes across?

It's similar to the notion of thanking God for sparing them from natural disasters (which he caused?). When a hurricane comes bearing down on an area, people pray that their property and lives are spared. They might even pray for other people in the affected area. No one prays for a miraculous diversion or dissipation of said hurricane. It's like they know that's out of the question, so they'll bargain for lots of leaf and branch pickup, or something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2013, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2013 02:01 PM by Ohio Sky.)
(31-10-2013 01:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  There seems to be some misunderstanding about my post. I am not saying that people are thanking God for not feeding others. What I'm saying is that it implies that God considers some people more special than others. When some people are starving and others are not - and the people who are not are thanking God for feeding them - then it is implying that God helped them, even though he did not help others.

This may not be the intention of Christians when saying grace, but it doesn't change the fact that when a person thanks God for feeding them - while others are starving - they are implying that they are more special in the eyes of God.

I have seen this attitude used very heartlessly towards others though when it comes to people that are starving who are NOT Christians. They'll justify the fact that these people are starving with the reason of "They are not Christians, and that is why God is not helping them!"

I get what you're saying, and I'm prone to agree with you. I don't think, however, that the people you are talking about have ever thought about what you're saying or think of themselves as more deserving of God's mercy than anyone else (at least most of them haven't) - they're just going along with what they've been taught. I don't think they're bad people for it, but critically analyzing these things isn't on their list of skills.

I've always thought it was a little conceited to ask God to bless a meal to begin with. I mean, he's God. He's got more important things on his plate than blessing a meal he so generously provided you to begin with. Like handing a starving man a sandwich and him asking you to cut the crust off for him.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
31-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Oops, double post.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
31-10-2013, 02:02 PM
(31-10-2013 01:26 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It's similar to the notion of thanking God for sparing them from natural disasters (which he caused?). When a hurricane comes bearing down on an area, people pray that their property and lives are spared. They might even pray for other people in the affected area. No one prays for a miraculous diversion or dissipation of said hurricane. It's like they know that's out of the question, so they'll bargain for lots of leaf and branch pickup, or something.

Yea this I get. It is silly to pray to a god to save you from himself. It is silly to thank a god for protecting you from something he caused. But it's not conceited. It's just delusional.
31-10-2013, 02:07 PM
(31-10-2013 01:57 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I've always thought it was a little conceited to ask God to bless a meal to begin with. I mean, he's God. He's got more important things on his plate than blessing a meal he so generously provided you to begin with. Like handing a starving man a sandwich and him asking you to cut the crust off for him.

Hmm. Put this way I kind of get it. I always thought grace was about being thankful for your food, but I know many people who ask for a blessing.
31-10-2013, 02:07 PM
The practice of grace/blessing/prayer before a meal has arisen independently in many cultures for various reasons.

In some cultures, it was thanking the prey for its sacrifice, in others as thanks to the god or gods.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I like to ask my religious friends (mostly Christian, one Muslim) if they ever considered holding off on saying "Thanks" until after they at least TRY what they're about to eat on the off chance that it might not be that good?

Following that, I ask, "If it's not good, can you retract your thanks?"

I'd like to say it provokes great conversation, but I am kind of a bully and what mostly happens is they end up sneaking their prayer in so I'll leave them alone. Doesn't make me feel bad.
[+] 2 users Like Regular_Joe's post
31-10-2013, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2013 05:42 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(31-10-2013 01:20 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  When you are thankful that you have food to eat, are you implying that you deserve the food more than others? I think not.

No, that is NOT what I said. Nor did I say that being thankful that you have food is conceited. You seem to have a "selective hearing" thing going on. I said that when one implies that GOD gave them food and other people are starving, then they are saying that God is choosing them over others. I'm not saying that it is their intention to come across like that, but it is, nonetheless, the way that it comes across. If there is one god who loves us all, and we are all his children, then why would he give some people food and allow others to starve? If you had 7 children would you feed some of them and allow others to starve?

Some people are simply born in unfortunate situations where they suffer far more than others around the world. That's just the reality of it. It has NOTHING to do with a god choosing who to feed and who not to feed. When you say that there is a god and that we must thank him for our food, you are saying that your god is the reason why you have food on your plate. That would also mean that he is the reason why others DON"T have food on their plate. If he chose to help you, then he also chose NOT to help others. How can you have one without the other? If your god is all powerful, and is the reason why you have food, then why didn't he also allow the other people starving in this world to have food too? I mean, he's all powerful, so there is absolutely no reason why he should not have the ability to feed anyone else if he is the reason why you have food.

I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, BUT I DON'T THANK GOD FOR IT! Being thankful is one thing - being thankful to an omnipotent being for giving you things that others don't have is another!

Do you get what I'm saying yet???

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
31-10-2013, 04:34 PM
I can see how it could be considered conceited. In my experience it's not intentional, but that doesn't change the implication that God saw fit to provide for your needs while millions of other people starve.

But I also think it's important to be grateful. The problem I have with saying "grace" before a meal is that the gratitude is usually misdirected.

[Image: thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
31-10-2013, 04:43 PM
(31-10-2013 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  The practice of grace/blessing/prayer before a meal has arisen independently in many cultures for various reasons.

In some cultures, it was thanking the prey for its sacrifice, in others as thanks to the god or gods.

Yes, but I'm referring to a culture where the belief in a loving god who helps people is being thanked. Many cultures have thanked the gods for their food as a way of saying "Thank you for not releasing your wrath on us". Gods were usually seen as angry and destructive, and so they needed to be appeased by making sacrifices so that the people would be spared. It was a thing of "Don't anger the gods!"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain