Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2013, 05:28 PM
RE: Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?
Never quite thought of it as conceited. Duplicitous, pretentious, obnoxious, annoying; sure.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't say grace, obviously, except when I eat pasta, I thank the great spaghetti monster.

I do, however, at least once or twice a year dine with someone who happens to pray before a meal. I already am stuffing my fat face and they bow their heads. It does make me a bit self conscious, and I usually stop out of respect. Don't know why though. It's all BS.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 09:25 AM by Losty.)
(31-10-2013 04:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 01:20 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  When you are thankful that you have food to eat, are you implying that you deserve the food more than others? I think not.

No, that is NOT what I said. Nor did I say that being thankful that you have food is conceited. You seem to have a "selective hearing" thing going on. I said that when one implies that GOD gave them food and other people are starving, then they are saying that God is choosing them over others. I'm not saying that it is their intention to come across like that, but it is, nonetheless, the way that it comes across. If there is one god who loves us all, and we are all his children, then why would he give some people food and allow others to starve? If you had 7 children would you feed some of them and allow others to starve?

Some people are simply born in unfortunate situations where they suffer far more than others around the world. That's just the reality of it. It has NOTHING to do with a god choosing who to feed and who not to feed. When you say that there is a god and that we must thank him for our food, you are saying that your god is the reason why you have food on your plate. That would also mean that he is the reason why others DON"T have food on their plate. If he chose to help you, then he also chose NOT to help others. How can you have one without the other? If your god is all powerful, and is the reason why you have food, then why didn't he also allow the other people starving in this world to have food too? I mean, he's all powerful, so there is absolutely no reason why he should not have the ability to feed anyone else if he is the reason why you have food.

I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, BUT I DON'T THANK GOD FOR IT! Being thankful is one thing - being thankful to an omnipotent being for giving you things that others don't have is another!

Do you get what I'm saying yet???

You don't have to get upset. I just have to ask the questions until you can give me an answer that makes sense to me. I was just trying to understand what is the difference between being thankful vs thanking god. Why would one be conceited and not the other? I get what you mean now, I guess. I always think it's silly when people text shout via capitalization and extra punctuation, but whatever floats your boat.
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 09:46 AM
From my point of view, the "thanks" given before a meal is a noble effort to ensure that people appreciate what they have and not to focus on why they can't get the new iphone with the gold case. This can be done without any reference to or attribution to a supernatural being. In most instances the prayer of thanksgiving or grace is a reference to some god but of all the religious rituals, this is fairly innocuous to me. I won't bow my head but I will hold off eating till my fellow diners have finished their silly ritual as it is just not worth the fight. I used to work with someone who before every meal they would bow their head in silence for ~ a minute. I waited for her to finish the first couple times after that, I stopped waiting. She wasn't including me and had no expectation that I would wait so I got a head start each time we ate together. No big deal.

Its like saying Bless you or god bless you after someone sneezes. Its silly but most people do it. I have trained myself to not even acknowledge a sneeze. We don't do anything after coughing and I treat it the same.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
(01-11-2013 09:46 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Its like saying Bless you or god bless you after someone sneezes. Its silly but most people do it. I have trained myself to not even acknowledge a sneeze. We don't do anything after coughing and I treat it the same.

I say "gesundheit" after someone sneezes like a good, secular, English speaking American should. Wink

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
01-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Is there anything about xtianity that isn't conceited? Basic premise: There is an all-powerful sky-daddy who created the whole fucking universe and he wants me to stay with him for all eternity.

Really. What a pile of shit.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
(31-10-2013 12:14 PM)sporehux Wrote:  My family and a dozen other families close to me growing up were very religious (church of england).
but no one ever said grace, I figured it was some weird american custom because i seen it on TV alot.
Where did the tradition come from ?

If I remember correctly, there's a bible verse where Jesus prays before a meal. Not too sure of this one though.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
(01-11-2013 09:21 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You don't have to get upset. I just have to ask the questions until you can give me an answer that makes sense to me. I was just trying to understand what is the difference between being thankful vs thanking god. Why would one be conceited and not the other? I get what you mean now, I guess. I always think it's silly when people text shout via capitalization and extra punctuation, but whatever floats your boat.

I was just making a point because you were twisting my words and accusing me of saying things that I did not say. The point of the capitalization was to stress my point to make it clear as to what I said instead of getting my words twisted again. Unfortunately you cannot use voice inflections on a computer like you can in a verbal conversation.

I made it perfectly clear why thanking God for your more fortunate situation is different than being thankful: being thankful merely means that you realize that you are in a more fortunate situation than others. Thanking God, on the other hand means that your more fortunate situation is due to a higher power choosing to help you, while choosing not to help others. If he chose to help you, then he also chose not to help others, and that is the part that is conceited.

I am thankful that I did not grow up in an abusive family. I work with children with special needs, and many of them have foster parents who don't care about them at all and only adopt them to get a check from the government. Some of the kids in wheelchairs will come to school covered in feces all the way up their back. I do not thank God for growing up in a family that did not abuse me, because these kids did absolutely nothing to deserve to be in their situation. By thanking God I am automatically saying that he is responsible for my fortunate situation. If you say that a God who is all-powerful, all-seeing, and all-knowing exists, then he is aware of every person's situation on this Earth, and he has the power to change any person's situation if he so chooses. To say that you are in your more fortunate situation BECAUSE OF HIM (The purpose of putting this in caps is to stress this point) is to say that he chose to help you, yet he did not help others.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
(01-11-2013 11:11 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 09:21 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You don't have to get upset. I just have to ask the questions until you can give me an answer that makes sense to me. I was just trying to understand what is the difference between being thankful vs thanking god. Why would one be conceited and not the other? I get what you mean now, I guess. I always think it's silly when people text shout via capitalization and extra punctuation, but whatever floats your boat.

I was just making a point because you were twisting my words and accusing me of saying things that I did not say. The point of the capitalization was to stress my point to make it clear as to what I said instead of getting my words twisted again. Unfortunately you cannot use voice inflections on a computer like you can in a verbal conversation.

I made it perfectly clear why thanking God for your more fortunate situation is different than being thankful: being thankful merely means that you realize that you are in a more fortunate situation than others. Thanking God, on the other hand means that your more fortunate situation is due to a higher power choosing to help you, while choosing not to help others. If he chose to help you, then he also chose not to help others, and that is the part that is conceited.

I am thankful that I did not grow up in an abusive family. I work with children with special needs, and many of them have foster parents who don't care about them at all and only adopt them to get a check from the government. Some of the kids in wheelchairs will come to school covered in feces all the way up their back. I do not thank God for growing up in a family that did not abuse me, because these kids did absolutely nothing to deserve to be in their situation. By thanking God I am automatically saying that he is responsible for my fortunate situation. If you say that a God who is all-powerful, all-seeing, and all-knowing exists, then he is aware of every person's situation on this Earth, and he has the power to change any person's situation if he so chooses. To say that you are in your more fortunate situation BECAUSE OF HIM (The purpose of putting this in caps is to stress this point) is to say that he chose to help you, yet he did not help others.

May I recommend the ol' emphasising italics rather than the AGGRESSIVE capitals?

01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
(01-11-2013 11:11 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I was just making a point because you were twisting my words and accusing me of saying things that I did not say.

No no no, love, I was not accusing you of saying it. It was clear that you did not say being thankful itself was conceited. I just needed a little more explanation to understand what the difference is between being thankful or thanking a god. Hug