Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
RE: Saying "Grace" Before A Meal - A Bit Concited?
I think it stems from simply being thankful for the position they are in, having food. Most don't think about it enough to see it as God refusing to give the less fortunate food as well.

I've had family pray before meals plenty, even more now that I'm out as an atheist. I simply respond by making sure to thank the person that actually made the food and provided it. My sister caught on to my subtle point (I didn't say anything directly after the prayer), but my mom didn't at first Angel.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
The question is, what happens if someone comes to your house. People who are devout. They do not know you are a non-believer, and they ask that since it is your house you should lead prayer?

That is what I fear.

The only time I really don't mind being involved in a prayer before a meal is holidays. It is good to be thankful for your family, and if you need to thank some imaginary creator to outwardly show it, than so be it.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
(01-11-2013 01:52 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  The question is, what happens if someone comes to your house. People who are devout. They do not know you are a non-believer, and they ask that since it is your house you should lead prayer?

That is what I fear.

The only time I really don't mind being involved in a prayer before a meal is holidays. It is good to be thankful for your family, and if you need to thank some imaginary creator to outwardly show it, than so be it.

Since it's your house, wouldn't it be presumptuous of them to take the initiative on the prayer issue? You're the host - just invite everyone to sit down and dig in.

When they realize that you don't intend to pray, they may ask if they can bless the food at which point you have an opportunity to quote Mal in Firefly.

Shepherd Book: "Captain, do you mind if I say grace?"
Mal: "Only if you say it out loud."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
01-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote: and they ask that since it is your house you should lead prayer?

Say..." we don't pray in this house."

If they don't like it they can leave.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
(01-11-2013 11:29 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  No no no, love, I was not accusing you of saying it. It was clear that you did not say being thankful itself was conceited. I just needed a little more explanation to understand what the difference is between being thankful or thanking a god. Hug

No problem. Glad to have things clarified.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
02-11-2013, 11:43 PM
What I hate is when people say grace in public, but not a word of thanks goes to the waiters.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
[+] 1 user Likes guitarist's post
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 09:30 AM by Takelababy.)
I believe it's origins go back a few thousand years when the people would give thanks to their god (perhaps the god of agriculture) for their harvest, an annual event that our Thanksgiving is based upon. It was later churches who began to promote one god and even decided how one should pray and how often. Instructions were given on the positioning of the body. Waitresses seem to find the table praying rude because it holds the polite ones up while the others set down the food any way. It puts their jobs at risk if they politely wait for the prayer (grace) to end.
04-11-2013, 08:18 AM
My family is always saying grace whenever we eat, no matter the occaison. Grab a cheese burger from McDonalds or Wendys, we must say grace. Eat a nice home cooked meal, we have to say grace to thank god. I have no idea what god did to deserve any of the praise. It is those of us who who are eating that have jobs and exchanged our hard earned money with the local grocer to buy the food, then we prepare the food for consumption, where in the hell does god come in? He gets all of the credit and does none of the work.

To make matters worse, in my family, the longer the prayer the better, or so it is thought. I drooled many holidays over a great feast on my plate in front of me while somebody is trying to say the perfect prayer to impress everyone else. No
04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
(03-11-2013 09:20 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  I believe it's origins go back a few thousand years when the people would give thanks to their god (perhaps the god of agriculture) for their harvest, an annual event that our Thanksgiving is based upon. It was later churches who began to promote one god and even decided how one should pray and how often. Instructions were given on the positioning of the body. Waitresses seem to find the table praying rude because it holds the polite ones up while the others set down the food any way. It puts their jobs at risk if they politely wait for the prayer (grace) to end.

So the modern equivalent would be: Don't forget to thank Keynes for the economic prosperity that brought us this meal. May government restrict spending in the good times and loosen the purse strings in the poor times in such a way as to remain neutral over the economic cycle. Give us this month our salaries and superannuation. Lead us not into total and permanent disability or ruin. For thine is the currency, the exchange rates and the inflation. For as long as the environment holds out, federal reserve.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
04-11-2013, 09:38 AM
(04-11-2013 09:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 09:20 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  I believe it's origins go back a few thousand years when the people would give thanks to their god (perhaps the god of agriculture) for their harvest, an annual event that our Thanksgiving is based upon. It was later churches who began to promote one god and even decided how one should pray and how often. Instructions were given on the positioning of the body. Waitresses seem to find the table praying rude because it holds the polite ones up while the others set down the food any way. It puts their jobs at risk if they politely wait for the prayer (grace) to end.

So the modern equivalent would be: Don't forget to thank Keynes for the economic prosperity that brought us this meal. May government restrict spending in the good times and loosen the purse strings in the poor times in such a way as to remain neutral over the economic cycle. Give us this month our salaries and superannuation. Lead us not into total and permanent disability or ruin. For thine is the currency, the exchange rates and the inflation. For as long as the environment holds out, federal reserve.

Possibly the best prayer parody I've seen. Thumbsup Bowing