Saying Hello from Oklahoma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2014, 03:49 AM
Saying Hello from Oklahoma
Not completely sure how to go about this. Most of the introduction posts I've read just said Hi- and that was all. Well that's not really my style. I'm more of a tel- you-my-entire-life's-sorry kind of girl, even if you don't want to hear every detail of it. It's also 5am here so I apologize before hand for running on and on or grammar[/font] problems.

I'm Jamie. You can call me that or by my screen name. I live in the small town of Howe, Oklahoma with my husband of 6 years. We have 4 churches in a town of less than 800, comforting. We are both atheist and are "out" to some family and a few very close friends. Living in this part of the country, especially such a rural religious area, it's not especially wise to shout our beliefs from the roof tops.

First, I'd like to say that I've never been an overtly religious person but I haven't called myself an atheist until this year. When I was young I would have described myself as a Christian, although church (the times I had gone) and the entirety of organized religion never really sat well with me. I would go with friends, since that was what good kids were supposed to do, but the entire time I would feel like I was being suffocated. The threats of Hell terrified me. I would tell my friends my fears and they acted as though I was crazy, that something was obviously wrong with me.

My family never spoke much of religion, the first time I heard the word "Christian" was from a friend. I was embarrassed that I had no idea what she was talking about. My father was originally catholic, but has been an atheist since before I was born, although he will never tell you he is one. My mother is what I would describe as an agnostic, she believes something that she will call God but doesn't take the literal meaning of the Bible seriously. I guess, I am lucky they aren't religious and I can openly talk to them about my doubts now.

In my late teens, I met my husband. I learned after several YEARS of dating, that he was an atheist. Atheist- that's a bad word where I come from. Even having a family that isn't religious I still thought of an atheist as evil. Obviously, if you don't believe in God, you have to worship Satan. I'm kidding, of course. I never really took him seriously and would often mock him. Thinking back now, I don't know how he put up with me. He never pushed his beliefs, or lack there of, on me. But the more I looked into science, the more I doubted but I was still not willing to give up my "faith" in an All-Powerful God. The fear of Hell was too powerful. The fear of going to Hell for accepting the truth was too horrible. What a fool.

Over the years, I continued to doubt. I would even get into arguments with my in-laws over their beliefs and how the Bible continued to be proven wrong. I had then labeled myself an agnostic.

Finally, I finally stumbled onto The Thinking Atheist YouTube Channel. I originally started looking for content to prove to my mother-in-law that the bible is completely sexist. I listened to the Podcast titled, "Woman, Be Silent". It was perfect. Then I continued to listen to more and more of the videos on this channel, it all made so much sense. It was an eye-opener. I am now happy to say that I no longer fear Hell, or anything supernatural. My husband and I have a better relationship, even if he isn't as outspoken as I am about the topic. I'm lucky that I have my husband and my dad to talk to about this. I'm thankful for them and for the technology to hear from other people that have the same ideas I do, that have made it possible for me to let go of the fear. Ironically, I was blind but now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2014, 03:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 08:59 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Saying Hello from Oklahoma
I think that Jamie is easier to pronounce than your screen name.

Welcome to the community, Jamie. Enjoy your stay.

11-05-2014, 05:03 AM
Welcome!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
11-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Welcome. Here is your welcome seal.

[Image: w4642.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
11-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Welcome!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
11-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Welcome aboard !Smile