Saying hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2016, 03:26 AM
Saying hello
Hi,

Just saying hello, after making a few posts. I like the vibe and people here and intend to stick around for a while.

I'm a retired teacher, living in the UK, agnostic and left of centre politics. Retirement has me kicking my heels a bit, kind of wandering. This means motorbikes, computer games and guns. Not so good with establishment guys of my own age (not a club person) but always sociable and ready to help anyone who doesn't fit.

Close little family and a granddaughter that I could eat!

That's me. Smile

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Dworkin's post
31-07-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: Saying hello
Welcome Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2016, 03:40 AM
Quote:Close little family and a granddaughter that I could eat!

Greetings and welcome, Dworkin! This seems to be a good place. I've only been here a short time myself, but I like the crowd. I look forward to arguing something-or-other with you!

Oh...I'm not certain about the UK, but here in Texas it's still illegal to eat grandchildren. Just a head's up. Smile

Cheers!
31-07-2016, 05:25 AM
(31-07-2016 03:40 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Close little family and a granddaughter that I could eat!

Greetings and welcome, Dworkin! This seems to be a good place. I've only been here a short time myself, but I like the crowd. I look forward to arguing something-or-other with you!

Oh...I'm not certain about the UK, but here in Texas it's still illegal to eat grandchildren. Just a head's up. Smile

Cheers!

That's religious discrimination. Angry
Everyone knows that barbecuing babies is a sacrament of the Atheist Religion. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-07-2016, 06:28 AM
(31-07-2016 03:26 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Just saying hello, after making a few posts. I like the vibe and people here and intend to stick around for a while.

I'm a retired teacher, living in the UK, agnostic and left of centre politics. Retirement has me kicking my heels a bit, kind of wandering. This means motorbikes, computer games and guns. Not so good with establishment guys of my own age (not a club person) but always sociable and ready to help anyone who doesn't fit.

That's me. Smile

D.

Heya --

Real guns???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:Heya --

Real guns???

That kind of threw me too...I understood that, outside of a shotgun at your club, guns were totally verboten.
31-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Quote:That's religious discrimination. Angry
Everyone knows that barbecuing babies is a sacrament of the Atheist Religion. Yes

Beg forgiveness! I thought we were supposed to keep that under wraps other than in the secret forum...I really need to study the bylaws...
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
31-07-2016, 02:30 PM
(31-07-2016 10:08 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Heya --

Real guns???

That kind of threw me too...I understood that, outside of a shotgun at your club, guns were totally verboten.

Hi guys,

There is some misunderstanding about guns in the UK, although the laws are pretty strict. A few miles from my house is a gun club licensed for most calibres of firearm, including adapted hand guns (wire stock). Some people use small calibre rifles, such as .22 LR single shot or magazine loading. Others use 303 and what is called 'pistol calibre' rifles.

Holders of a firearms certificate can shoot on open land, either their own or permitted by a farmer or landowner, as long as it is recorded on the certificate. A firearms certificate requires a simple background check, probably similar to some states in the USA.

Regarding 'real guns'. As a regular shooter I am aware that some PCP air rifles come close to powder burners in power and are thus included in the firearms legislation. I would class these as real guns. The Daystate Wolverine 303 is one of these, with 100 ft lbs at the muzzle.

OTOH, crossbows are completely licence free here in the UK, at any power level. It is hard to find a suitable place to use them, but I have a shooting ground within driving distance. Considering that a compound crossbow can take a deer at 100 yds, I treat my own crossbow with caution and a deal of respect.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
31-07-2016, 05:31 PM
(31-07-2016 02:30 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(31-07-2016 10:08 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  That kind of threw me too...I understood that, outside of a shotgun at your club, guns were totally verboten.

Hi guys,

There is some misunderstanding about guns in the UK, although the laws are pretty strict. A few miles from my house is a gun club licensed for most calibres of firearm, including adapted hand guns (wire stock). Some people use small calibre rifles, such as .22 LR single shot or magazine loading. Others use 303 and what is called 'pistol calibre' rifles.

Holders of a firearms certificate can shoot on open land, either their own or permitted by a farmer or landowner, as long as it is recorded on the certificate. A firearms certificate requires a simple background check, probably similar to some states in the USA.

Regarding 'real guns'. As a regular shooter I am aware that some PCP air rifles come close to powder burners in power and are thus included in the firearms legislation. I would class these as real guns. The Daystate Wolverine 303 is one of these, with 100 ft lbs at the muzzle.

OTOH, crossbows are completely licence free here in the UK, at any power level. It is hard to find a suitable place to use them, but I have a shooting ground within driving distance. Considering that a compound crossbow can take a deer at 100 yds, I treat my own crossbow with caution and a deal of respect.

D.

I'd never even attempt a deer at 100 yards with ANY kind of bow...

You pull the trigger - and you've got time to eat a sandwich before the bolt gets to 100 yards...................

A deer is going to move when it hears the action -- and if you do connect - it's probably going to be gutshot......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2016, 08:44 PM
(31-07-2016 03:26 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

That's me. Smile

D.

Hi Dworkin,
You willing to adopt me?

Rebellion is your link to the world, it is your first human act, your fundamental self-determination.
So long as you live, your rebellion is your integrity:
your integrity lies in rebellion.
Ivan Svitak, 1969
[+] 1 user Likes Professor Spark's post