Saying hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2016, 07:07 AM
RE: Saying hello
Quote:I'd never even attempt a deer at 100 yards with ANY kind of bow...

I'm a little surprised at this, OLB...I've been an active bow hunter for...oh, 30 years or so. While I probably wouldn't have tried a 100 yd shot back then, much like I didn't see 9mm as a viable defensive round, technology has changed the game.

I take one deer each season off our place, with a bow. I let others hunt here, but that's plenty for us. My maximum attempted shot is 125 yds, give or take, and that is with a split limb compound. I don't hunt with a crossbow, although I have several...with my top o the line models, I'd feel pretty comfortable out to at least that, perhaps 150. I've lost one deer with a blood trail in my life, and that was a stupid, penis-driven shot at 430 yds with a lever action 30.30 carbine. Stupid, uncalled-for shot, but I was 16, and...well, I was 16.

I don't know if you keep up with the latest and greatest archery equipment, but I know folks who stretch it even further and don't wound animals. State of the art is amazing, Robin hood would cream his tights.

Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
01-08-2016, 01:41 PM
RE: Saying hello
(01-08-2016 07:07 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:I'd never even attempt a deer at 100 yards with ANY kind of bow...

I'm a little surprised at this, OLB...I've been an active bow hunter for...oh, 30 years or so. While I probably wouldn't have tried a 100 yd shot back then, much like I didn't see 9mm as a viable defensive round, technology has changed the game.

I take one deer each season off our place, with a bow. I let others hunt here, but that's plenty for us. My maximum attempted shot is 125 yds, give or take, and that is with a split limb compound. I don't hunt with a crossbow, although I have several...with my top o the line models, I'd feel pretty comfortable out to at least that, perhaps 150. I've lost one deer with a blood trail in my life, and that was a stupid, penis-driven shot at 430 yds with a lever action 30.30 carbine. Stupid, uncalled-for shot, but I was 16, and...well, I was 16.

I don't know if you keep up with the latest and greatest archery equipment, but I know folks who stretch it even further and don't wound animals. State of the art is amazing, Robin hood would cream his tights.

Smile

Dark One,

Your experience as an archer and arbalist is impressive. I'm new to this game and learning. A Taiwanese crossbow was disastrous and I quickly got rid and moved to an American Barnett, fairly basic model. Just got some carbon fibre bolts for her.

One thing, keep fingers below the flight deck! Having shot rifles for years there is a temptation to move the hand, which is to be resisted. Shocking

My bow is only 150lb draw, but it has a hellish punch on the boss. Very difficult to get the bolts out again.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply