Scalia died

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2016, 07:27 AM
RE: Scalia died
(15-02-2016 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I wonder how many of those seats are really at risk?
But if the Republicans go full asshole and block confirmation, then some of those seats should change hands.

Two years ago, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Republicans would take the Senate. This was solely because of how many at-risk seats held by Democrats were up for election. Even then, it was predicted it would fall back under Democratic control because of the disproportional number of GOP seats up for reelection. From my understanding, unless much has changed over the last two years, the GOP is going to lose the senate this election. Of course, they've gerrymandered their way into holding the House for quite some time.

Now, I do hope that any long-lasting, blatantly admitted obstructionism will hurt them this election. They're basically writing their Democratic opponent's attack ads for them. They're on record for refusing to do their job out of hand. Vowing to block a nomination regardless of who it is is a refusal to do their job. This isn't any type of check-and-balance. Normally, voters tend to have goldfish-like memories. This stunt, though, has to last through the election.

So, my question is: how many more Senate seats do they lose because of this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
17-02-2016, 12:39 PM
(14-02-2016 02:06 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 07:58 AM)cactus Wrote:  and so the alien conspiracy begins...

Illuminati dun did it.

This is a quote from an in-law that showed up on my FB.

"A sitting Supreme Court Judge who opposes Obama's agenda on multiple levels dies mysteriously at a secluded ranch, doesn't get an autopsy but a street thug shot by police when he tried to take the cop's gun, with witnesses does get an autopsy. Make sense to anyone?"
18-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I will miss reading his dissents as they could be really funny and were always well written.

He was good on search and seizure issues for the most part.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
18-02-2016, 09:10 PM
(17-02-2016 07:27 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I wonder how many of those seats are really at risk?
But if the Republicans go full asshole and block confirmation, then some of those seats should change hands.

Two years ago, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Republicans would take the Senate. This was solely because of how many at-risk seats held by Democrats were up for election. Even then, it was predicted it would fall back under Democratic control because of the disproportional number of GOP seats up for reelection. From my understanding, unless much has changed over the last two years, the GOP is going to lose the senate this election. Of course, they've gerrymandered their way into holding the House for quite some time.

The House was fixed for Democrats for couple generations before that flipped to the GOP. With GOP dominance at the state level where congressional districts are drawn, that will likely stay advantaged for the GOP for a while.

Senate seats can't be gerrymandered as they are all statewide offices.

Quote:Now, I do hope that any long-lasting, blatantly admitted obstructionism will hurt them this election. They're basically writing their Democratic opponent's attack ads for them. They're on record for refusing to do their job out of hand. Vowing to block a nomination regardless of who it is is a refusal to do their job. This isn't any type of check-and-balance. Normally, voters tend to have goldfish-like memories. This stunt, though, has to last through the election.

So, my question is: how many more Senate seats do they lose because of this?

Not many seats. Problem for the GOP is, if they allow a liberal to replace Scalia, there would be far more casualties than those vulnerable for blocking the vote.

But rather than speak openly about blocking any nominee, they should have just slow walked and then rejected his nominations. That is essentially what the Dems did to Reagan, blocking until February of his final year in office he had to offer up Kennedy rather than a more conservative candidate. The Dems refused to allow the political makeup of the court to change. I expect the GOP to do the same.
19-02-2016, 07:10 AM
(18-02-2016 09:10 PM)BryanS Wrote:  But rather than speak openly about blocking any nominee, they should have just slow walked and then rejected his nominations.

But they clearly lack the insight to have done so. They are too rabid to think rationally. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-02-2016, 07:35 AM
"Put an Atheist on the Supreme Court", The New Yorker

"... last June, in his dissenting opinion in the same-sex marriage case Obergefell v. Hodges, Scalia wrote that the Court was “strikingly unrepresentative” of America as a whole and ought to be diversified."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
19-02-2016, 10:08 AM
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/ri...-sacrifice
20-02-2016, 05:46 AM
(19-02-2016 10:08 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/ri...-sacrifice

Laughat

Weeping

"Homo sapiens" huh?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-02-2016, 08:27 AM
(19-02-2016 10:08 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/ri...-sacrifice

Quote: “The 13th was the 44th day of 2016, Obama is the 44th
president of the United States,” Wiles said, “so you have
this numerology thing taking place.”

Laugh out load

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-02-2016, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2016 09:59 AM by Bucky Ball.)
There is a scathingly blunt and "right on" lead article in the 2/29 New Yorker by Jeffrey Toobin, (journalist-lawyer-commentator) on Scalia. He details how out of touch and backwards Scalia was in his thought and decisions. Scalia was anything, but a "great" Supreme Court Justice. It says some of what I was thinking last week when, apparently, Washington was worshipping at his feet. The idea that one should look backwards to try to discern what a bunch of slave-owning whites were thinking a few centuries ago, to gain guidance to contort/shoe-horn/force 21st Century problems into long-dead old men's thinking, is SO absurd, it defines reason. I for one, am glad he's off the court. He was a negative influence on it and the country.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/0...g-backward

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post