Scalia died

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 09:46 AM
RE: Scalia died
(25-02-2016 09:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is a scathingly blunt and "right on" lead article in the 2/29 New Yorker by Jeffrey Toobin, (journalist-lawyer-commentator) on Scalia. He details how out of touch and backwards Scalia was in his thought and decisions. Scalia was anything, but a "great" Supreme Court Justice. It says some of what I was thinking last week when, apparently, Washington was worshipping at his feet. The idea that one should look backwards to try to discern what a bunch of slave-owning whites were thinking a few centuries ago, to gain guidance to contort/shoe-horn/force 21st Century problems into long-dead old men's thinking, is SO absurd, it defines reason. I for one, am glad he's off the court. He was a negative influence on it and the country.

Originalism is a legal equivalent of theology. A cloak to wrap your feels in.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
25-02-2016, 09:59 AM
RE: Scalia died
It's always been an odd platform to promote but I get it for the Conservative(andother) branches that love the idea of tradition so strongly.

He did push that motive to treat founding fathers like godly men who must of been accurate and correct about everything. So they love to throw the whole here is a quote of some figure saying something vague I agree with style.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply