Scared of thunderstorms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Scared of thunderstorms
So I hate thunderstorms. Not from indoors, where it looks shiny and all, but more when it's me outside and my brain tells me I'm going to get hit by lightning and all that will be left are my shoes.

Anybody know of some science that would help me to tell my brain to shut the fark up?

NB there's a huge thunderstorm going on right now. Sadcryface2

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 03:08 PM
RE: Scared of thunderstorms
You're indoors right? Grab a cuppa coffee and chill out. I love being indoors in a thunderstorm. Or outdoors actually... Too bad the pansy British weather system only does drizzle. But I'm gonna be back in SA soon Smile Yay!

As long as you stay away from tall trees or buildings you should be OK AFAIK. Get down off high ridges. The basic rule of lightning is stay the fuck down, and stay away from tall things. Try *not* to be the tallest thing in your local area... Sure wikipedia will be more help. I'm only bothered about lightning rarely... hence my info is anecdotal... hence more dangerous than no knowledge at all Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-07-2012, 03:12 PM
They are so rare here. I have never experienced a proper one, so it isn't something I fear.

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm prob'ly not the person to advise ya. I stood just outside our front door last year watching the scary-as-hell clouds off to the southwest with tornado sirens blaring all the while (We live in an apartment complex that has no tornado shelter, so hey, might as well take my chances and see some spectacular weather going past.)

Turned out what I saw was the supercell that spawned the F3-4 St. Looey tornado that stayed on the ground for well over a dozen miles and tore all hell out of a couple of neighborhoods. The cell passed within a mile of us.

I'm not enough of an idiot to hop in a car and go tornado chasing, though. I do have some limits to my insanity.
23-07-2012, 03:16 PM
You guys need to move somewhere else. Tongue I wouldn't be staying in a place that has all that crazy shit going on.

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-07-2012, 03:19 PM
(23-07-2012 03:16 PM)frankiej Wrote:  You guys need to move somewhere else. Tongue I wouldn't be staying in a place that has all that crazy shit going on.
Don't you live in the freezing North? I wouldn't trade...
23-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Tornadoes? Oh, hell...most people who live in tornado alley haven't ever seen a tornado on the ground and ripping up stuff in their lives. What you see if you're really unlucky is the pile of rubble that used to be your house when you manage to get up out of your basement.

Besides, you can lie down in a ditch and survive a tornado if you don't drown because the ditch is full of rainwater.

Earthquakes are what terrify Kansans. Trust me, my first name is Dorothy. Shocking
[+] 1 user Likes Her Dotness's post
23-07-2012, 03:36 PM
(23-07-2012 02:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So I hate thunderstorms. Not from indoors, where it looks shiny and all, but more when it's me outside and my brain tells me I'm going to get hit by lightning and all that will be left are my shoes.

Anybody know of some science that would help me to tell my brain to shut the fark up?

NB there's a huge thunderstorm going on right now. Sadcryface2
What you're experiencing sounds like the natural animal reaction. Your brain is telling you the truth on this - you could get fried, you should go inside, you should save your hide.

Exposed to the elements is unsafe; trust your simian brain. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-07-2012, 04:04 PM
My simian brain was on overdrive when I was a kid: developed stuttering due to shock of a thunderstorm at the age of 3. I grew out of it with the aid of placebo's.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
23-07-2012, 05:07 PM
From past experience, I've known a few women who were scared to be comforted by my arms around them.

Just sayin'

Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel