Scared of thunderstorms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2012, 06:19 PM
RE: Scared of thunderstorms
I sleep best with a storm raging outside. My mother had a huge fear of storms and we were sent to the basement every time there was one in the area although, if given half a chance, I would sneak outside to watch the storm approaching. Thunderstorms and tornadoes weren't uncommon in Eastern Iowa.

I didn't develop the fear...my husband will go outside to watch lightening. I am not that fascinated by it, but I have no fear, I just hate when the power goes out and I can't read or surf the interwebz.

My favorite thing since moving to TX is thundersnow...snowstorms with thunder and lightening...coolest thing ever!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-07-2012, 06:34 PM
(23-07-2012 06:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...my husband will go outside to watch lightening.

Me too. 'Course I take a bottle of booze with me so of course I ain't nervous. Wink When I spent a couple years at UIUC there were a lot of them. Had a lightning bolt hit a transformer in my backyard about 10 feet away from me once. Coolest ... shit ... ever.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-07-2012, 07:08 PM
(23-07-2012 06:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 06:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...my husband will go outside to watch lightening.

Me too. 'Course I take a bottle of booze with me so of course I ain't nervous. Wink When I spent a couple years at UIUC there were a lot of them. Had a lightning bolt hit a transformer in my backyard about 10 feet away from me once. Coolest ... shit ... ever.
Shit your pants at that experience? Or was it number 1? Intake of copious amounts of alcohol can do that.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
23-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Funny this thread comes up as I kennelled all pets and am hunkered down in my basement with the kids during a raging severe thunderstorm outside with tornado warnings. First time in years I've done this. The basement has never leaked, and oh look, it's leaking!

Waiting it out all comfy with internet access is awesome though, that's new technology since the good ol' days growing up with a crackley radio Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
23-07-2012, 08:17 PM
(23-07-2012 03:12 PM)frankiej Wrote:  They are so rare here. I have never experienced a proper one, so it isn't something I fear.
Aww man you have missed out. There was a pretty big one, i think maybe here about 6 or so years ago.

I've not seen anything like it since. Its the single most spectacular thing i have ever seen, it was also the first time i had seen fork lightning. And there was no shortage of it. I think i may have a video of it on an old phone. Ill need to dig it out.

Found this on youtube not mines. It doesn't show you the scale or intensity of the thing but that's phone cameras for you.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
23-07-2012, 08:32 PM
(23-07-2012 08:17 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Aww man you have missed out. There was a pretty big one, i think maybe here about 6 or so years ago.
I was in Dunoon at the time. It was my first experience of a real thunder storm in the Highlands (I grew up in England). It was a real stunner... amplified as the sound boomed within the hills. Not easily forgotten.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2012, 09:00 PM
(23-07-2012 08:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  I was in Dunoon at the time. It was my first experience of a real thunder storm in the Highlands (I grew up in England). It was a real stunner... amplified as the sound boomed within the hills. Not easily forgotten.

Its not something I'll ever forget. I would love to see one like it again. I don't know how long it lasted But i watched it until it stopped. Beats TV any day Big Grin.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
23-07-2012, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 09:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-07-2012 07:08 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 06:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Me too. 'Course I take a bottle of booze with me so of course I ain't nervous. Wink When I spent a couple years at UIUC there were a lot of them. Had a lightning bolt hit a transformer in my backyard about 10 feet away from me once. Coolest ... shit ... ever.
Shit your pants at that experience? Or was it number 1? Intake of copious amounts of alcohol can do that.

Neither. I saw God up close and personal then. Fucker wasn't trying to scare me, fucker was just trying to amuse me. That's all fucker's ever been trying to do. Think that might be fucker's job. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-07-2012, 02:11 PM
(23-07-2012 02:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So I hate thunderstorms. Not from indoors, where it looks shiny and all, but more when it's me outside and my brain tells me I'm going to get hit by lightning and all that will be left are my shoes.

Anybody know of some science that would help me to tell my brain to shut the fark up?

NB there's a huge thunderstorm going on right now. Sadcryface2

What the hell, people???!!!

Listen, you don't have to fear thunderstorms. The thunder is God and his buddies bowling. The rain is all the condensation dripping from the beer pitchers. When God scores well, he poses for his photos (flash photography, duh, hence the lightning).

I can't believe you guys would hide the truth for so long. Go back to bed now, dearie, all's well, there there.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2012, 02:40 PM
(23-07-2012 02:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So I hate thunderstorms. Not from indoors, where it looks shiny and all, but more when it's me outside and my brain tells me I'm going to get hit by lightning and all that will be left are my shoes.

Anybody know of some science that would help me to tell my brain to shut the fark up?

NB there's a huge thunderstorm going on right now. Sadcryface2

Nope. You shouldn't be out in a thunderstorm - lightening can kill you; that is not a false statement. Be glad your monkey mind knows what the hell it's talking about. Some idiots go out and invite stupid shit, when they could be all cozy inside watching the beautiful light show.

If you are outside when one starts and the situation can't be avoided:
Driving perhaps? Don't panic, turn the radio up, and sing along... golden oldies if possible - they're supposed to be the best (something familiar). The best thing you can do is ignore everything by being crazier and louder than it.

Bottom line:
No thunderstorm will stand against THE MIGHTY ROCK & ROLL. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post