Scared to stop believing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Scared to stop believing
I'm an old friend of Seth's. (The Thinking Atheist)

In fact, he taught me a lot of what I know about radio.

I'm a Christian radio professional NOW. But in the last year, I've realized the Bible is not accurate. I'm not ready to stop believing in God. But I don't believe the Bible is perfect.

I can't talk to my wife. She gets scared and freaks out. I have to clear my history after visiting this site.

Just here for encouragement. Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like onedream's post
25-10-2012, 12:21 AM
RE: Scared to stop believing
(24-10-2012 11:11 PM)onedream Wrote:  I'm an old friend of Seth's. (The Thinking Atheist)

I'm a Christian radio professional NOW. But in the last year, I've realized the Bible is not accurate. I'm not ready to stop believing in God. But I don't believe the Bible is perfect.

I can't talk to my wife. She gets scared and freaks out. I have to clear my history after visiting this site.

Welcome!

I'm sure you're going to get a strong message from some (though not all) of the boardizens encouraging you towards becoming ready to stop believing in God.

I'm not one of them. I take little issue with religion, except when religious individuals use their religion as a license to be jerks. Even then, it's about the individual, and how they choose to act out their religion, rather than the religion itself. In my experience, even those faiths that are quite explicit in their commands to do evil things tend to have at least some adherents who downplay those passages and turn it to a force for good in their lives or the world. And those with the most benevolent of commands will have some adherents who do the opposite.

Christianity is a good example of this. Some Christians focus on the parts about charity, universal love, and non-judgement. And others use it to harness the worst hate imaginable and express that hatred. I'm of the opinion that this says more about the person and their predilections than it says about the religion. Others will no doubt be swift to disagree.

You say you don't believe the Bible is accurate or perfect. That's far from ceasing to be a Christian. A lot of people -- both Christians and atheists, and usually the most militant of both -- insist that a Christian must believe every jot and tittle of the Bible, and I'm always astounded at how they seem to unthinkingly agree on this point. There are several formal denominations out there who do not subscribe to Biblical inerrancy as a doctrine, and good reason to suspect that whatever its accuracy in its earliest days of Christianity, changes from copying and translation have been introduced since. Other ways of seeing error in the Bible without abandoning faith include the idea that it was written by ordinary humans, perhaps as a witness to extraordinary things that they did not fully comprehend or correctly interpret, or that the chain of custody of the documents through certain eras of the church make it untrustworthy. (It being co-opted by Constantine is a good place to start.)

In the end, not believing in the Bible may well strengthen your faith in God, rather than weaken it. After all, how much of your faith was in the Bible, rather than in God, and how much will you now repose in God which you now no longer place in the Bible?

I'm not encouraging you to renew or transform your faith, rather than abandon it. I don't have a dog in that fight. But I am telling you that the road you seem to be on has many forks, many paths, and many destinations. Some may lead to a complete abandonment of faith and an embrace of atheism, and others to a belief in God and Christ far deeper than what you had before. You'll have to walk whichever one's right for you.

If you're looking for a touchstone, you could do worse than a policy of kindness towards all. Begin there, rather than end there. Don't do it because in this line of that Gospel Christ says such and such and because of all that's written before or after you have to obey. Make it your nature (if it isn't already), and do it because it's your nature, and don't fret so much about when or where or by whom you were told to do it.

In any case, welcome, and I hope you find the support here that you want. I admire Seth for his sublime wisdom and how he has managed to transition to atheism with surprisingly little rancor for the religious, and I am quite certain he will give you far better advice and support than I could. But I'll offer what I can.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
25-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Many of us have been where you are now.

I found myself where I am because I wanted truth and honesty. I wanted the facts.

My biggest advice is to read up on questions you have and compare notes- try to find the truth. There is adage to the saying 'the truth will set you free'.

Asking questions or perspectives here, that are specific, will get you other's thoughts and input to ponder as well.

As for your wife, sorry you can't have those open conversations without the stress. I think it's helpful to take baby steps if the big question is too much- the little questions are thought provoking, too.

Welcome!
[+] 6 users Like LadyJane's post
25-10-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm not here to de-convert anyone. If you want the truth, start questioning and you will find it. If you feel you would rather be ignorant than right, that is up to you. Either way good luck. If you have specific questions ask, or look at the faq of the site for information about Christianity specifically. Alternately call up Seth if you two are buds.

25-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Scared to stop believing
Hey onedream,
Welcome. Questions are encouraged here. You may not always get nice answers, but once in a while you might actually get some helpful responses.

My Christianity/theism was in its final death throes when I encountered Seth's podcast over a year ago. Hearing his story gave me the courage to acknowledge to myself that I had moved beyond belief and beyond agnosticism to full-fledged atheism.

Not that you need to necessarily do the same, but my point being it sounds like this is a good place for you to test out some of the things you've believed over the years to see if you want to hang on tighter or let go and find intellectual freedom.

Good luck on your continued journey!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
25-10-2012, 02:45 AM
(24-10-2012 11:11 PM)onedream Wrote:  I'm an old friend of Seth's. (The Thinking Atheist)

I am glad to see you here! You have done well by finding somewhere (e.g., this forum) to express yourself and seek feedback, because I figure you must feel very lonely right about now when it comes to talking about validity of God and faith.

A lot of us have been in the same place you are now and things have eventually turned out just fine us, and I am sure everything will be just fine for you. Just give it time and try to be patient. There is no hurry.

Hope this helps.
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
25-10-2012, 04:05 AM
Welcome to the forums.

I remember being where you are and I have a suggestion.

Go forth and start doing research and going to services for denominations of your religion you have not yet encountered or experienced. Do this with your wife and ask for her opinions.

The reason I'm suggesting this is it's what I did when I was in your spot to try and learn more about why I felt the way I did with my faith. In my case I went from Mennonite and alliance churches to Catholicism. I had a rebirth followed by my asking a lot of questions and realizing what was really at the core of my belief.

If your right or wrong it's actually a great way to internally reflect to better understand both yourself and religion.

Hope that helps.
25-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Welcome to our little sanctuary.

We're having a baby spit-roast for Halloween if you want to join us?

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
25-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Most browsers have a private browsing feature - it won't save any history or temp files. In Internet Explorer, do shift+Ctrl+p.

The Bible is far from perfect. That doesn't have to stop you from believing in some god. Have you asked yourself why you are afraid?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-10-2012, 07:18 AM
(25-10-2012 05:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to our little sanctuary.

We're having a baby spit-roast for Halloween if you want to join us?

Don't think he's ready for that. We might have to get him liquored up with demon rum. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post