Scared to stop believing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 07:36 AM
RE: Scared to stop believing
Welcome Smile I hope you enjoy your time here. With the variety of users you will definitley find people here that can relate to what you are going through. Some may come off too strong when responding to questions but please do not let that deter you. We have Theists here too so it isn't a place for only one point of view.

I think Chas has a valuable point in asking why you are afraid. Believing anything from fear would require a solid look into that aspect of your life. Being told all of your life that there is a horrible place awaiting you for any transgression would cause most people to hesitate when they start questioning their faith.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
25-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Welcome.

Fear is not a very good basis for anything but running away or fighting.

Yes, do use "in private" browsing and you won't have to clear history.

You've started a journey of learning it looks like. It is gratifying on it's own, no matter where it ends up leading you.

Feel free to throw out specific bible questions, a lot of people here (not me) will have a lot of input, they know more about the bible than most christians.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-10-2012, 07:58 AM
(25-10-2012 07:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  Don't think he's ready for that. We might have to get him liquored up with demon rum. Consider

Did I hear someone mention rummmm? May I have some, as I'm all out? I only have vodka and cacha├ža (and for that I'm all out of limesSad)

Just my two cents - I was scared, too, or rather - sad, because the idea of being completely alone made me not want to live... For me, after the first initial period of despair, it was a gradual diminishing of religiousness, until I finally realised I no longer believe (and probably never did, deep down)...

As for your wife - are you afraid that if she found out she might leave you or is it that she would be very sad, because you'd be (supposedly) going to hell? If it's the latter, this might help her deal with your loss of faith (I think):
1 Corinthians 7:14
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband.

Anything that helps us deal, right...

Still, to me admitting that I do not believe in any god has been the most liberating thing that's ever happened in my life and just the thought of going back to religion gives me shivers. I hope you, too, can move past the fear and reach this part of being an atheist. Because it's awesomeSmile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarder├▓."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
25-10-2012, 09:31 AM
(24-10-2012 11:11 PM)onedream Wrote:  I'm an old friend of Seth's. (The Thinking Atheist)

In fact, he taught me a lot of what I know about radio.

I'm a Christian radio professional NOW. But in the last year, I've realized the Bible is not accurate. I'm not ready to stop believing in God. But I don't believe the Bible is perfect.

I can't talk to my wife. She gets scared and freaks out. I have to clear my history after visiting this site.

Just here for encouragement. Thanks for listening.

It can definitely be frightening when undergoing such a shift in thinking. I was never religious, but I took comfort in the idea of God and considered myself a spiritual person who lived by spiritual principles. When my thinking changed and I accepted that I was in fact an atheist, it was troubling. However, at the same time I became driven to learn more about science and how the universe works, and this helped me feel more connected to everything. I no longer see myself as a spiritual person at all, but I do want to be as good and caring a person as possible, and I can be that person without needing a belief in a god.

You should feel free to examine your own ideas and see where the journey takes you. It may actually deepen your faith, or you may let those old beliefs slowly die as you replace them with other ways of thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes JDS's post
25-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Don't let anyone tell you what to think, read, or examine.

There are few things more challenging than reassessing what you believe is the truth and it's often a lonely journey. Keep a low profile if you have to, but enjoy the process. Get out there and ask all the questions you've never dared to ask. Read things you aren't supposed to read. Gather up a huge pile of science, history, theology, philosophy, bibles, and whatever else you can find. Watch debates from both sides, and don't accept any authority but your own. When you're done looking through everything (which may never end), you'll know that your beliefs, changed or unchanged, are based on truth and knowledge.

That's a good feeling.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
25-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Welcome, friend.

I hope we can help to alleviate your fears somehow. I joined a while back but I'm still sort of new here myself.

I completely understand your concern for your wife and how this will affect her. I got lucky with my wife (hang on, perhaps that was poorly phrased). She had already given up on religion as an institution. But it's still a delicate dance with her sometimes as she was raised by "witches" as she likes to call them. Most of the time there's no conflict, but I do dislike it when she thinks the house is haunted and feels compelled to exorcise it (ever smelled a house filled with sage smoke?). But, we've been together for 25 years now and I put up with it, she knows this and appreciates it.

I think when I realized I no longer believed (not too long ago) that now the people I love in this life are even more important to me than ever. You may find the same. So, be gentle with your wife. This may not be easy for her.

Always kindness. We are all we have.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
25-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Sounds like you're more scared of your wife than anything. But if you're really going to restrain yourself for her at least you can pretend by going "Hey, woman, do as the good book says and obey my spoken words and remain silent." Don't want to? Then I strongly suggest we get real here.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
25-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow....didn't expect so many great answers. Thank you so much. You're helping my confidence.

Someone asked "What are you scared of?"

Geez...all the normal stuff, I guess: Breaking my family's hearts, dying and finding out that I'm wrong, ruining my children's' lives, & losing my livelihood.

If I don't believe in Christianity (or eventually in God) then what business do I have in Christian Broadcasting? I don't know if I could respect myself knowing that I'm lying to 200 Thousand listeners everyday.
[+] 2 users Like onedream's post
25-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Perhaps the presence of other non-believers will benefit you in such a situation.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
25-10-2012, 01:03 PM
(25-10-2012 12:32 PM)onedream Wrote:  Wow....didn't expect so many great answers. Thank you so much. You're helping my confidence.

Someone asked "What are you scared of?"

Geez...all the normal stuff, I guess: Breaking my family's hearts, dying and finding out that I'm wrong, ruining my children's' lives, & losing my livelihood.

If I don't believe in Christianity (or eventually in God) then what business do I have in Christian Broadcasting? I don't know if I could respect myself knowing that I'm lying to 200 Thousand listeners everyday.

If you are lying to yourself then that doesn't make you less guilty of lying to others. If your faith is so fragile it cannot survive logical questions its probably not something worth having faith in. Good luck with your decision, and your life. Of course there is reason to be scared. The choice is ultimately yours.