Scared to stop believing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2012, 06:16 AM
RE: Scared to stop believing
(26-10-2012 04:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Start with the non-threatening ones, like LadyJane, Kim, Dom, KC and Erx (maybe "less" threatening in his case) and then some more assertive ones (A-squared, Vos) and in subsequent weeks invite some of our hard-core bull-dogs (Bucky, Mark Fulton etc.) before inviting the Terse and Deadly one.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Angry

Geez, I need to work on my image. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-10-2012, 06:19 AM
(26-10-2012 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 04:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Start with the non-threatening ones, like LadyJane, Kim, Dom, KC and Erx (maybe "less" threatening in his case) and then some more assertive ones (A-squared, Vos) and in subsequent weeks invite some of our hard-core bull-dogs (Bucky, Mark Fulton etc.) before inviting the Terse and Deadly one.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Angry

But... but... we thought you had?!?! Shocking

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 06:33 AM
(26-10-2012 06:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  Hey, I resemble that remark. Angry

But... but... we thought you had?!?! Shocking

Good point.

Maybe I've gotten carried away by self-fulfilling prophecy. Consider

I'm a good conversationalist, a garrulous and affable fellow, polite and well-mannered. I make a good dinner or party guest.
But I do not like willful ignorance or sloppy thinking, so I have ruined one or two dinner parties in my time.

However, I do so like a bon mot, a mot juste, a good riposte; wordplay in general. And I am too busy or lazy to type a wall of text when a pointed remark can serve.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-10-2012, 06:35 AM
(26-10-2012 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 06:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But... but... we thought you had?!?! Shocking

Good point.

I'm a good conversationalist, a garrulous and affable fellow, polite and well-mannered. I make a good dinner or party guest.
But I do not like willful ignorance or sloppy thinking, so I have ruined one or two dinner parties in my time.

However, I do so like a bon mot, a mot juste, a good riposte; wordplay in general. And I am too busy or lazy to type a wall of text when a pointed remark can serve.

Sez u.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 06:38 AM
(26-10-2012 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  Good point.

Sez u.

Drinking Beverage

Were you laughing? Cause I was laughing. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-10-2012, 06:53 AM
(26-10-2012 06:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sez u.

Drinking Beverage

Were you laughing? Cause I was laughing. Big Grin

I managed to keep a straight face while typing. Yes

26-10-2012, 08:36 AM

ROFL, you guys don't know me in real life. I am tolerant and give the benefit of the doubt, but I don't like inane babble or injustices. I speak quietly and carry a big stick. When I give speeches people lean back comfortably and nod and suddenly sit up and go "Whaaaaa...?". Because my sweet self likes to shoot an arrow out of nowhere at times. So you can't be too sure about using me in a radio context - this rose has thorns. I may not be terse and deadly, but I can be sweet and lethal when something gets my gander up.

That said, I know how to behave myself and am good at explaining complicated things in a way that everyone can understand. So it maybe worth a shot. No guarantees though.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
26-10-2012, 08:40 AM
(26-10-2012 08:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  

ROFL, you guys don't know me in real life. I am tolerant and give the benefit of the doubt, but I don't like inane babble or injustices. I speak quietly and carry a big stick. When I give speeches people lean back comfortably and nod and suddenly sit up and go "Whaaaaa...?". Because my sweet self likes to shoot an arrow out of nowhere at times. So you can't be too sure about using me in a radio context - this rose has thorns. I may not be terse and deadly, but I can be sweet and lethal when something gets my gander up.

That said, I know how to behave myself and am good at explaining complicated things in a way that everyone can understand. So it maybe worth a shot. No guarantees though.

Dom - Sweet and Lethal. Thumbsup

I love it. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-10-2012, 08:55 AM
The question was asked about transitional forms and answered fairly well with some external links.

My favorite simple answer to this is to Google "tiktaalik". A fish with legs. Even better is the story of how it was found. And lots of them have been found by lots of different paleontologists so it's way past the "it was a birth defect" or "it's a hoax" stage - it's exactly what every creation apologist means when he says there are not transitional forms and it's now a proven, verifiable part of the fossil record - exactly what those apologists DON'T want to see.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-10-2012, 09:31 AM
(26-10-2012 04:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 03:52 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ... As for your job and livelihood, start looking for other work now. Find a way to transition to a more secular career (or just secular station)...

Uh! Hello?

Stay exactly where you are!

Do NOT move a muscle.

That's 200,000 potential deconversions if you handle it right.

Announce that you are interested in why so many people are turning away from Faith and ask your listeners to send you questions that would be good to ask to Atheists and non-believers or even just people who have switched their brand of christianity.

User-involvement is important. It will help you understand what your audience are interested in and also deflect attention away from a personal agenda.

Start inviting some of us onto your show.

Start with the non-threatening ones, like LadyJane, Kim, Dom, KC and Erx (maybe "less" threatening in his case) and then some more assertive ones (A-squared, Vos) and in subsequent weeks invite some of our hard-core bull-dogs (Bucky, Mark Fulton etc.) before inviting the Terse and Deadly one.

Be careful though, you don't want to freak your audience (Girly, Muffsy).

Challenge us, cajole us, probe us (no, not like that Confused ) we can take it.

As the weeks go by, you can become slowly less negative and then more positive about non-belief.

At the end, you can announce your deconversion and those who have been on the journey with you will understand.

I await your call.

... onedream, which one of these strategies you should follow (assuming you don't choose a third one of your own) should depend more on your judgement of your personal circumstances, as well as your personal goals and place in your quest, than in anything we suggest. If you find yourself not only in a position of atheism, but in one you're prepared to embrace openly, as well as filled with a burning desire to strike a blow for the cause, and you think your bosses would give you the latitude to pull this off, and think that a sort of post-facto theater is the best way of sharing your deconversion process, then what DLJ suggests has considerable merit.

But even (especially!) then, have an exit strategy in place.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post