Scared to stop believing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2012, 11:43 AM
RE: Scared to stop believing
(26-10-2012 09:31 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  [quote='DLJ' pid='191719' dateline='1351247798']

[undefined=undefined][undefined=undefined][undefined=undefined]But even (especially!) then, have an exit strategy in place.[/undefined][/undefined][/undefined]

Indeed =)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2012, 11:45 AM
The "tiktaalik" is compelling.

I also spent a good hour last night reading over some of the other links a few had posted that showed how evolutionary transition happens.

Fascinating stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes onedream's post
26-10-2012, 03:46 PM
(24-10-2012 11:11 PM)onedream Wrote:  I'm an old friend of Seth's. (The Thinking Atheist)

In fact, he taught me a lot of what I know about radio.

I'm a Christian radio professional NOW. But in the last year, I've realized the Bible is not accurate. I'm not ready to stop believing in God. But I don't believe the Bible is perfect.

I can't talk to my wife. She gets scared and freaks out. I have to clear my history after visiting this site.

Just here for encouragement. Thanks for listening.

The HARDEST thing i had to get over ( i was a door knocking fundie of the Southern Baptist Ilk) was that there was no Hell. Even as i pulled away from faith the threat of hell was deep inside my Psyche. Once i really started to analyze the concept of an ALL loving god that knew everything and designed everything...including hell....it started to become clearer to me that its a paradox to the 10th degree. You mean he knew the punchline before he delivered the joke..but told it anyway? A Loving god's only way to keep his children from hell is to sacrifice his son? Sounds like someone with very limited options.
God created hell, the ultimate punishment place.

Are you a father, may i ask?
If so, is there ANYTHING you kids can do that you could never forgive them for and also punish them for all eternity for? If so, seek help. If not, then you are already a better father than ole God. God sucks as a dad.....just saying.

Dint be in a hurry to be an atheist, a theist or anything. THINK, read and research..and THINK some more. The brain is a powerful thing when you let it do its job.

Denicio
[+] 10 users Like Denicio's post
26-10-2012, 04:50 PM
(26-10-2012 03:46 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 11:11 PM)onedream Wrote:  I'm an old friend of Seth's. (The Thinking Atheist)

In fact, he taught me a lot of what I know about radio.

I'm a Christian radio professional NOW. But in the last year, I've realized the Bible is not accurate. I'm not ready to stop believing in God. But I don't believe the Bible is perfect.

I can't talk to my wife. She gets scared and freaks out. I have to clear my history after visiting this site.

Just here for encouragement. Thanks for listening.

The HARDEST thing i had to get over ( i was a door knocking fundie of the Southern Baptist Ilk) was that there was no Hell. Even as i pulled away from faith the threat of hell was deep inside my Psyche. Once i really started to analyze the concept of an ALL loving god that knew everything and designed everything...including hell....it started to become clearer to me that its a paradox to the 10th degree. You mean he knew the punchline before he delivered the joke..but told it anyway? A Loving god's only way to keep his children from hell is to sacrifice his son? Sounds like someone with very limited options.

If so, is there ANYTHING you kids can do that you could never forgive them for and also punish them for all eternity for? If so, seek help. If not, then you are already a better father than ole God. God sucks as a dad.....just saying.

Dint be in a hurry to be an atheist, a theist or anything. THINK, read and research..and THINK some more. The brain is a powerful thing when you let it do its job.

Denicio

I, too grew up as a Southern Baptist. I was a preacher's kid. And I've thought of this myself over and over. If I'm unwilling to eternally punish even my worst enemy for eternity, does that make me more merciful than God?

And I've thought "He's God. He can change anyone's heart if he wishes to. He supposedly numbers every hair on our head. Wouldn't someone who stitched us together in secret at the cellular level be able somehow to convince us without doubt that he exists and woo our hearts to love him?

The Bible also says he knows that "...we are bust dust..." and that we are frail. So why wouldn't he take that into account and convince us without a doubt of his being there?

Confusing.
[+] 2 users Like onedream's post
26-10-2012, 05:02 PM
(26-10-2012 04:50 PM)onedream Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 03:46 PM)Denicio Wrote:  The HARDEST thing i had to get over ( i was a door knocking fundie of the Southern Baptist Ilk) was that there was no Hell. Even as i pulled away from faith the threat of hell was deep inside my Psyche. Once i really started to analyze the concept of an ALL loving god that knew everything and designed everything...including hell....it started to become clearer to me that its a paradox to the 10th degree. You mean he knew the punchline before he delivered the joke..but told it anyway? A Loving god's only way to keep his children from hell is to sacrifice his son? Sounds like someone with very limited options.

Denicio

I, too grew up as a Southern Baptist. I was a preacher's kid. And I've thought of this myself over and over. If I'm unwilling to eternally punish even my worst enemy for eternity, does that make me more merciful than God?

And I've thought "He's God. He can change anyone's heart if he wishes to. He supposedly numbers every hair on our head. Wouldn't someone who stitched us together in secret at the cellular level be able somehow to convince us without doubt that he exists and woo our hearts to love him?

The Bible also says he knows that "...we are bust dust..." and that we are frail. So why wouldn't he take that into account and convince us without a doubt of his being there?

Confusing.

Son, God's got no time to convince everyone of his existence, he's too busy killing innocent children and giving nice caring people cancer all the while allowing disease and starvation to run rampant.

It's a busy task fucking over hundreds of millions of peoples lives.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
26-10-2012, 05:34 PM
(26-10-2012 04:50 PM)onedream Wrote:  The Bible also says "...bust dust..." ...

Confusing.

Aha! That's what it's called.

I always wondered what to call the glittery stuff that the girls sprinkle on themselves before they go out for the night.

I certainly didn't know they had it in biblical times.

Consider

I wonder what flavour they had then.

Maybe "blood sacrifice" flavour?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 06:07 PM
"you can have all of this for the low low price of 2 pigs and chicken" flavor

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-10-2012, 07:20 PM
(26-10-2012 05:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 04:50 PM)onedream Wrote:  The Bible also says "...bust dust..." ...

Confusing.

Aha! That's what it's called.

I always wondered what to call the glittery stuff that the girls sprinkle on themselves before they go out for the night.

I certainly didn't know they had it in biblical times.

Consider

I wonder what flavour they had then.

Maybe "blood sacrifice" flavour?

I was going to ask if 'bust dust' was just crusty old breast milk.

onedream Wrote:I, too grew up as a Southern Baptist. I was a preacher's kid. And I've thought of this myself over and over. If I'm unwilling to eternally punish even my worst enemy for eternity, does that make me more merciful than God?

That thought is more or less the one that really started me questioning religion, except my question was "If god is willing to do terrible things that I would never do (kill, or command killing etc.) then I AM more moral than god." Once I thought that, I pretty much stopped believing. It was a thought that I tried to suppress for a while, but when I actually voiced it out loud, I knew that I had hit upon something big, and it wasn't going to go away. Keep looking for answers man, whatever you come up with, I hope you stick around on the forums. You seem like a pretty cool dude. Thumbsup

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
26-10-2012, 09:27 PM
(26-10-2012 04:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Be careful though, you don't want to freak your audience (Girly, Muffsy).
You forgot to mention Johnny. Confused

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
26-10-2012, 09:53 PM
..... hrmmm.. Scared... nothing a bottle of Vodka couldn't handle!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post