Scared to stop believing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 12:54 PM
RE: Scared to stop believing
(29-10-2012 12:11 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have been irreligious for about 15 years, I've been with the same woman for 9 years, married for 5. I have never cheated, even when my job had us be apart for weeks, and months at a time, and I had the opportunity to do so. Commitment to someone you love has nothing to do with God or religion. If your going to cheat, or leave, it is all about the people involved. If not then Christians (among others) wouldn't be cheating and leaving one another so often.

Good for you, man. That's awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2012, 12:58 PM
(29-10-2012 12:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 11:50 AM)onedream Wrote:  You see...she knows of a friend who became an atheist and used "not being accountable to God anymore" as a moral justification to have an affair and leave his wife.

Huh? ... Blink ... that don't scan, nothing moral about that. Sounds more like he was using atheism as a justification to become a hedonist. That scans, but hedonism is ultimately empty and without gratification.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem with the wife. Love transcends metaphysics. The job, however, is more complicated. Dunno what I'd do about that. Personally I'm convinced that these multimillionaire mega preachers don't believe any of the bullshit they are preaching and are just narcissists in it for the money and attention. 'Course that's no different than hedonism. Guess you could bring up your concerns with your listeners and have an upfront and open discussion with them. Your ethics would still be intact and if you weren't disingenuous think you'd probably keep your job. Especially if the show became even more popular as a result. Think it's risky, though.

Good luck!

Thanks!

She gets nervous when she sees me watching debates between Hitchens & D'Souza, watching Matt Dilahunty, & the like. And it's all because of a fear that I'm going to leave her, based on what she's seen from these friends of ours.

I don't think I'd take the debate to the radio show. The format is music intensive and they want to "keep it light." Nothing too deep, you know.
29-10-2012, 01:00 PM
(29-10-2012 11:50 AM)onedream Wrote:  You see...she knows of a friend who became an atheist and used "not being accountable to God anymore" as a moral justification to have an affair and leave his wife.

That's just silly.

My first guess is that this is the story she tells but not what he tells. I doubt he really said "Yeah, I cheated on you because I am an amoral atheist and had no reason not to" or anything even remotely as ridiculous as that. I bet he cheated because he was a rotten bastard and she used atheism as a scapegoat to tell all her friends, including your wife, that it was atheism that made him do it.

On the other hand, if I'm wrong and he really did say something stupid like that, well, I bet he was just looking for his own scapegoat because saying "My atheism made me do it, I'm just a victim of atheism" is much easier than saying "Yeah, I am a rotten bastard".

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
29-10-2012, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 04:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-10-2012 12:58 PM)onedream Wrote:  She gets nervous when she sees me watching debates between Hitchens & D'Souza, watching Matt Dilahunty, & the like. And it's all because of a fear that I'm going to leave her, based on what she's seen from these friends of ours.

She's feeling insecure so make her feel secure. Shouldn't take long. Wink

(29-10-2012 12:58 PM)onedream Wrote:  I don't think I'd take the debate to the radio show. The format is music intensive and they want to "keep it light." Nothing too deep, you know.

Well fuck it then, what's the problem? Just keep playing "This Little Light of Mine", and keep your metaphysical trap shut. No ethical dilemma here. Hell this atheist is gonna listen to it now without feeling any hint of an ethical dilemma. Hell this atheist could do your job without a hint of guilt if it just requires DJ'ing Christian music. We got an atheist running around here somewhere who plays in a Christian Rock band.

Like morality, think there's also a common misconception among Christians that atheists have somehow surrendered the capacity to feel joy. Nothing could be further from the truth, if anything we feel everything more intensely and acutely. ... And I like it. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-10-2012, 01:32 PM
(29-10-2012 01:00 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  

That's just silly.

My first guess is that this is the story she tells but not what he tells. I doubt he really said "Yeah, I cheated on you because I am an amoral atheist and had no reason not to" or anything even remotely as ridiculous as that. I bet he cheated because he was a rotten bastard and she used atheism as a scapegoat to tell all her friends, including your wife, that it was atheism that made him do it.

On the other hand, if I'm wrong and he really did say something stupid like that, well, I bet he was just looking for his own scapegoat because saying "My atheism made me do it, I'm just a victim of atheism" is much easier than saying "Yeah, I am a rotten bastard".

Well put.
29-10-2012, 01:42 PM
(29-10-2012 01:00 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  On the other hand, if I'm wrong and he really did say something stupid like that, well, I bet he was just looking for his own scapegoat because saying "My atheism made me do it, I'm just a victim of atheism" is much easier than saying "Yeah, I am a rotten bastard".

Which would just make him even more of a rotten bastard douchebag.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2012, 01:46 PM
(29-10-2012 01:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 01:00 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  On the other hand, if I'm wrong and he really did say something stupid like that, well, I bet he was just looking for his own scapegoat because saying "My atheism made me do it, I'm just a victim of atheism" is much easier than saying "Yeah, I am a rotten bastard".

Which would just make him even more of a rotten bastard douchebag.

Right up there with "De Debbil made me do it!"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-10-2012, 01:55 PM
(29-10-2012 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 01:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Which would just make him even more of a rotten bastard douchebag.

Right up there with "De Debbil made me do it!"

Nah, I don't belieb in de Debbil.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
29-10-2012, 04:14 PM
(29-10-2012 01:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 12:58 PM)onedream Wrote:  She gets nervous when she sees me watching debates between Hitchens & D'Souza, watching Matt Dilahunty, & the like. And it's all because of a fear that I'm going to leave her, based on what she's seen from these friends of ours.

She's feeling insecure so make her feel secure. Shouldn't take long. Wink

(29-10-2012 12:58 PM)onedream Wrote:  I don't think I'd take the debate to the radio show. The format is music intensive and they want to "keep it light." Nothing too deep, you know.

Well fuck it then, what's the problem? Just keep playing "This Little Light of Mine", and keep your metaphysical trap shut. No ethical dilemma here. Hell this atheist is gonna listen to it now without feeling any hint of an ethical dilemma. Hell this atheist could do your job without a hint of guilt if it just required DJ'ing Christian music. We got an atheist running around here somewhere who plays in a Christian Rock band.

Like morality, think there's also a common misconception among Christians that atheists have somehow surrendered the capacity to feel joy. Nothing could be further from the truth, if anything we feel everything more intensely and acutely. ... And I like it. Big Grin

By the way, I love this response.
29-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Someone tell Denicio to get in here. He has experience of dealing with a wife who is pretty unhappy about his atheism. And he has been involved in the CCM industry as well. Plus, he's the Dude, and the Dude abides.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel