Scariest movies you've ever seen.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 04:19 PM
RE: Scariest movies you've ever seen.
Kim,

Just watch the Investigation Discovery channel and you'll get an idea of just how often people don't know what they've bit off getting into a relationship or marriage.

People be crazy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm moderately disappointed in everybodies lack of cajones.

In no particular order and without repeating reccomendations from elsewhere in the thread:
Martyrs.
Paranormal Activity 3. (Best in the series. Though I haven't seen The Marked Ones.)
The Entity.
The People Under the Stairs. (My favorite home invasion film.)
The Devils Backbone (Guillermo Del Toro's best film. Seriously it's better than Pan's Labyrinth)
[Rec]
Ils (English distribution is called Them.)
The Descent (Both the scariest and the best film on the list.)
Dark Water
Marebito (It's a good version of Midnight Meat Train.)

(09-09-2014 12:55 PM)bemore Wrote:  Not read the whole thread so apologies if its been listed but "The Possession of Micheal King" is actually quite a good movie.
I actually got that last weekend. Haven't seen it yet,

(03-09-2014 06:57 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I'll second the 'Ring' series of movies. The original Japanese, not the softer American remake.

Dang but those movies had me paranoid about a LOT of things.

The creator/actors have amazing ways of making the human body less human and hence amazingly high creep factor.

If I ever accidentally run over a cat? I'm just going to keep driving.... Not ever going to stop, other than get more gas.... just keep on driving.........
I don't think that's necessarily fair. The Ring remake is a better constructed film than the original. Better effects. Better sound work. Better acting. (Mostly.) As good a script. (And Gore Verbinski is a pimp.)

It's not scary, at all, but it's not a bad film.
(01-09-2014 02:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 02:24 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I never genuinely fear a situation or character.
There's this movie called A Serbian Film that would scar you for life; I seriously do not recommend watching it.
(I know the bellow is entirely made of wank and isn't helpful. I started writing and my head was slowly pushed up my arse as I went.)

Stuff like that is why genera is unhelpful when people ask about films. "A horror movie" is used to refer to most movies with any frightening elements to them that raises tension via sespence. Se7en and Psycho are excellent films but they shouldn't be conflated with Alien or Scream. Now that I think about it Alien shouldn't be conflated with Scream either.

I like to parse things out too:
Scare- Where the intended emotional reaction is fear. (All of the things I put on the above list fall here.) Your Aliens', Rings' and Halloweens'.

Suspense- Containing frightening elements where the audience confronts and understands the threat across the course of the film. Silence of the Lambs, Se7en and the New Nightmare on Elm Street.

Spiral- The opposite of suspense. The audience slowly understands less of the situation as the film progresses. The Black Death, May, In the Mouth of Madness, Prince of Darkness.

Torque- When the intent is to take the mental state from one direction to another. All horror/comedies fall here.

Horror- Not necessarily to scare but to horrify. Squick out. It provokes a visceral reaction from you. Often disgust. Most gorn falls here as does "gross/uncomfortable situation films." Human Centipede, Where the Dead go to Die, Saws' 3-5, A Serbian Film.

It's entirely possible to fall into multiple categories (The Thing for example has elements of all of them.) but this at least identifies core engagement better than a single umbrella term.
25-10-2014, 11:41 AM
I've been desensitized by scary movies for a long time. However, when I first saw The Ring in the theaters it really freaked me out. I actually checked the backseat of my car on the way home.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
31-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I remember as a child watching The Return of The Living Dead and I had trouble sleeping. Kinda silly. Then there was a movie called Orca. I dont remember anything about it but it gave me nightmares. But all that disappeared when I became a teenager. I'm not really into horror because it doesn't do anything for me. I might jump from time to time but nothing I've seen in years really scared me to the point where I couldn't get it off my mind. I tend to chuckle at horror movies.
31-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Not gonna lie, horror movies scare me pretty easily. I saw Paranormal Activity 1 and 2, and I had trouble sleeping for a couple weeks. I know they're silly, but that's the kind of stuff that would freak me out as a kid! A ghost or a demon grabbing your feet and dragging you down the hall?! That shit is scary!

I actually just watched the old Carrie movie today, which isn't scary. I just felt like watching a horror movie since it's Halloween and all. Smile

Silence of the Lambs is a classic, of course. I think it's more disturbing than it is scary. Anthony Hopkins is awesome though.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde