Scars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2013, 06:36 AM
RE: Scars
I've got some serious scars. The big one on my leg goes from upper shin to upper thigh - multiple operations for resecting a bone tumor, doing bone grafts, knee replacements, bone replacement. Then the ones on my hips for donor bone for the leg, the chest for catheters, plus the various sports and accident ones - scalp, nose, leg, arm.

I was an athlete and that was a big part of my identity. I had played hockey in high school and university, I was still playing serious hockey when the tumor broke my leg.
It took me years to be at peace with the scars and the losses. At first I felt embarrassment, maybe a hint of shame. Was I ugly? Had I failed? Am I broken?

Would I rather be unscarred? Probably. But the scars are now part of who I am, what I've gone through, where I am.

Here's the inside:
[Image: Beddoe%20post%20op%204c.jpg]

You can imagine the outside. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Goodness Chas! I can only imagine the scarring...and the pain you have endured.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
God damn Chas! Drink some milk for Christ's sake. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
10-06-2013, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 03:07 PM by kim.)
Wow! Chas the merchandise! What is that, titanium? I might also say... bionically appealing. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
(10-06-2013 01:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Goodness Chas! I can only imagine the scarring...and the pain you have endured.

There was pain, but I feel your scars are more personal or intimate than are mine.

Just wanted to share that time and experience add up to healing or serenity or acceptance. Whatever gets you through.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2013, 04:05 PM
So Chas, you're like half wolverine now? cuz that's badass Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
10-06-2013, 04:26 PM
(09-06-2013 12:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  By a certain age we all have scars...some visible, some not. The visible ones I have didn't really bother me much as none were that noticeable.

But, my mastectomy scars really bother me. I fucking hate them! They are so ugly and a reminder that I have been mutilated. Though I had reconstruction I didn't have fake nipples made or tattooed on...I kind of feel like that's silly...I mean what's the use.

I have, from time to time, tried to think of tattoos to mask them and have seen pictures of women that have had wonderful ink done. But I haven't been able to settle on something that seems right for me. Scar tissue can be hard to tattoo and one 'breast' has a pretty straight scar while the other one looks like the surgeon may have been drunk when she made the cut...so symmetry would be an issue.

So, today I was scrolling around Facebook, kind of in a picture war with one of my daughters who is always posting gloom and doom stuff all because of this asshole she was with for a short time...let me clarify...abusive asshole.

I came across a picture that is starting to make me rethink my scars...while I may still do tattoos, when I find the right thing, I think this sentiment may just get me past a lot of mental bullshit. Any other ideas on how to get my mind right with these fucking scars would be appreciated...anyway...for what it's worth.

[Image: scars_zps7858db24.jpg]

Hi Ange.
I got heavily tatooed round 16 not for a necessary operation, more probably as a cover up.
I was very conceited, particularly 20s/30s, and when I went bald opted for a series of operations ERB EXCISION reduction of baldness, whereby a centre sliver of scalp from back to forehead is removed to lift the sides up higher by stretching and then stapling. Nearly fainted when I saw the huge needle and the outline on my head.
Followed up with the more conventional grafts.
Your situation is different of course and its entirely up to you.Over many years I got to think of a kind heart as far more important, purely from a male perspective, to the sexiest of breasts.

Hey watch your daughter with that gloom and doom stuff..........there are some real weirdos out there!Cool
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
13-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I watch the competition show "Ink Master".

The challenge tonight is for the artists to tattoo women who have hd both breasts removed and didn't have the nipple reconstruction. Something to help mask the scars. I have tried to think of something for mine for ages.

I feel like I have a knot in my throat and my eyes are welled up with tears. This is almost hitting too close to home.

While I am happy to see that something can be done to cover the ugliness and that there are others that have dealt with the same and survived...it reminds me how ugly the scars are to me. So much pain has surfaced in the last few minutes...

Now I am sobbing.

Fuck...I hate feeling weak. I fucking hate being mutilated.

I don't know what I am looking for here but I had to get some of it out.

Fuck, fuck, fuck...this hurts to the core.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

13-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Are you OK?

Almost seems heartless to post in here when you're this upset: But I like the idea of roses or vines stitching up an open wound.

I have a few large scars myself, and have considered having words or sutures tattooed over them: but only if it made them look less like suicide attempts (which they aren't, just surgery.)

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
13-05-2014, 08:50 PM
(13-05-2014 08:43 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Are you OK?

Almost seems heartless to post in here when you're this upset: But I like the idea of roses or vines stitching up an open wound.

I have a few large scars myself, and have considered having words or sutures tattooed over them: but only if it made them look less like suicide attempts (which they aren't, just surgery.)

Thank you...no...no, I really am not okay...this hit me from out of nowhere.

Anyone who knows me knows that I almost never cry and now I can't stop.

This is a wound that never heals...godammit!

You guys are all I have. It's the only place for me to go. Fuck!