Scary coincidences again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Scary coincidences again
Ok so I have been having this struggle between atheist and religious beliefs and it's really been very hard thing . The problem is there are these strange coincidences that keep happening for example a I prayed and asked God to reveal himself and then something related came on the radio about half an hour later or TV remote control falls off a seat and a religious TV channel comes on the TV. Or I look up an atheist like Sean Carroll and instead a religious site comes up instead but Sean Carroll is not mentioned in it . Or this one as happens a few times I think about a ficunal character and they show up the same day in an atheist video some how like in clips or something over the last 8 months this as been happening . Please tell me if I am being stupid I am very scared
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2016, 07:20 AM
RE: Scary coincidences again
(19-12-2016 07:14 AM)Denzil Wrote:  Ok so I have been having this struggle between atheist and religious beliefs and it's really been very hard thing . The problem is there are these strange coincidences that keep happening for example a I prayed and asked God to reveal himself and then something related came on the radio about half an hour later or TV remote control falls off a seat and a religious TV channel comes on the TV. Or I look up an atheist like Sean Carroll and instead a religious site comes up instead but Sean Carroll is not mentioned in it . Or this one as happens a few times I think about a ficunal character and they show up the same day in an atheist video some how like in clips or something over the last 8 months this as been happening . Please tell me if I am being stupid I am very scared

I'm sure the almighty wouldn't have to resort to making a remote control fall off a chair to reveal himself to you. Mind you, he does move in mysterious ways I suppose.
[+] 2 users Like Snowbusinesslikesnowbusiness's post
19-12-2016, 07:33 AM
It's called pattern making. It's what our brains do. We perceive events to be related when they aren't. We all do it. Our brains also tend to fill in the blanks because we like to make sense of things and we like order. There's also something known as the frequency illusion where we learn or hear a word, phrase, number, idea, etc. and then start to see it everywhere. Well, we actually don't. We only think we do because we tend to count the hits and not the misses and weed out everything in between.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 08:01 AM
(19-12-2016 07:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It's called pattern making. It's what our brains do. We perceive events to be related when they aren't. We all do it. Our brains also tend to fill in the blanks because we like to make sense of things and we like order. There's also something known as the frequency illusion where we learn or hear a word, phrase, number, idea, etc. and then start to see it everywhere. Well, we actually don't. We only think we do because we tend to count the hits and not the misses and weed out everything in between.
So if these happend to you would you not be to bothered my family thinks I am being silly
19-12-2016, 08:12 AM
When it comes to the computer stuff, remember that cookies make you see the things you've been viewing before. Like putting Christian stuff in advertisements and high in hits on google. If you've shown interest in Christian stuff, you are going to see it all over the place.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 5 users Like LadyDay's post
19-12-2016, 08:13 AM
(19-12-2016 08:01 AM)Denzil Wrote:  my family thinks I am being silly

Thumbsup I think they're onto something Wink

The creator has seen fit to mess with your internet and your TV. Beware lest he fiddles with your dishwasher.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
19-12-2016, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 08:17 AM by jennybee.)
(19-12-2016 08:01 AM)Denzil Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 07:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It's called pattern making. It's what our brains do. We perceive events to be related when they aren't. We all do it. Our brains also tend to fill in the blanks because we like to make sense of things and we like order. There's also something known as the frequency illusion where we learn or hear a word, phrase, number, idea, etc. and then start to see it everywhere. Well, we actually don't. We only think we do because we tend to count the hits and not the misses and weed out everything in between.
So if these happend to you would you not be to bothered my family thinks I am being silly

I don't think you're being silly, I think you're engaging in magical thinking, which happens to us all on occasion just due to how the brain works. Andy Thomson gave a lecture on Why we believe in gods. Very interesting lecture and I highly recommend watching it. It's available on YouTube. I can post it for you later if you like.

Since I understand how the brain works via pattern making etc.- No, these things would not bother me. I think it would be helpful for you to read about apophenia (the scientific term for pattern making) and why our brains are wired that way. And it's not from magic, it's from evolution Wink

Also, if you were born in another place, another time, which god would you be asking for signs from? Which god would you be asking if he/she exists? I guarantee you if you were born in a cargo cult or grew up in Pre-biblical times, you would be believing in another god entirely. Ask yourself how you know about the god you do? If no one told you about him, how would you ever know he existed at all? That should show you that religious belief is a learned behavior and not innate ( something you are born knowing).

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 08:30 AM
(19-12-2016 08:01 AM)Denzil Wrote:  

Conditioned to believe would be better fit I think. To me it looks like you still long for security blanket called god and that's why those coincidences seem scary to you.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-12-2016, 08:34 AM
(19-12-2016 08:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 08:01 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So if these happend to you would you not be to bothered my family thinks I am being silly

Conditioned to believe would be better fit I think. To me it looks like you still long for security blanket called god and that's why those coincidences seem scary to you.

I didn't grow up being a believer or was very religious my family are nearly all atheist but I went to a religious school that's where the fear comes from we would hear about the end of the world and other negative and scary stuff I became scard of the religion scard if it was real
19-12-2016, 08:38 AM
(19-12-2016 08:34 AM)Denzil Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 08:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Conditioned to believe would be better fit I think. To me it looks like you still long for security blanket called god and that's why those coincidences seem scary to you.

I didn't grow up being a believer or was very religious my family are nearly all atheist but I went to a religious school that's where the fear comes from we would hear about the end of the world and other negative and scary stuff I became scard of the religion scard if it was real

Sounds like your school was conditioning you.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post