Scary coincidences again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: Scary coincidences again
(19-12-2016 08:34 AM)Denzil Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 08:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Conditioned to believe would be better fit I think. To me it looks like you still long for security blanket called god and that's why those coincidences seem scary to you.

I didn't grow up being a believer or was very religious my family are nearly all atheist but I went to a religious school that's where the fear comes from we would hear about the end of the world and other negative and scary stuff I became scard of the religion scard if it was real

It does not sound considerate but there is nothing to be afraid of. You're afraid of Sköll eating the moon or Fenrir breaking his chains?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
19-12-2016, 08:40 AM
How old are you Denzil? You seem like a youngster to me. Don't worry about the scare-mongers.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-12-2016, 08:59 AM
(19-12-2016 08:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 08:34 AM)Denzil Wrote:  I didn't grow up being a believer or was very religious my family are nearly all atheist but I went to a religious school that's where the fear comes from we would hear about the end of the world and other negative and scary stuff I became scard of the religion scard if it was real

It does not sound considerate but there is nothing to be afraid of. You're afraid of Sköll eating the moon or Fenrir breaking his chains?

Norse religion's so much more fun.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-12-2016, 09:05 AM
(19-12-2016 08:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 08:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It does not sound considerate but there is nothing to be afraid of. You're afraid of Sköll eating the moon or Fenrir breaking his chains?

Norse religion's so much more fun.

Yes. Fact that their gods aren't all long haired hippie dudes speaking shit about loving thy enemy also helps Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-12-2016, 09:16 AM
(19-12-2016 09:05 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 08:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  Norse religion's so much more fun.

Yes. Fact that their gods aren't all long haired hippie dudes speaking shit about loving thy enemy also helps Wink

Hah. Beat your enemy to death and drink out of his skull is more their thing...

19-12-2016, 09:21 AM
So if these things happend to you would you just not bother about it or not take notice ?
19-12-2016, 09:24 AM
(19-12-2016 09:21 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So if these things happend to you would you just not bother about it or not take notice ?

Coincidences do happen to me, but difference between us is such that I do not see hand of the Almighty in them.

JennyBee already explained it to you but it seems to me that you're looking for different answer, one that will allow you return to the fold.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-12-2016, 09:39 AM
I was never really part of any fold it's just the fret believe us or else and then you wonder what's really right atheism dose make more sense in meny ways my family are atheist mostly meny of the people I admire are atheist to so please believe me I am not looking for an excuse to reject it
19-12-2016, 09:41 AM
(19-12-2016 07:14 AM)Denzil Wrote:  Ok so I have been having this struggle between atheist and religious beliefs and it's really been very hard thing . The problem is there are these strange coincidences that keep happening for example a I prayed and asked God to reveal himself and then something related came on the radio about half an hour later

Religious references abound in the culture. I'd be surprised if something didn't seem like it was related within a relatively short time.

Quote:or TV remote control falls off a seat and a religious TV channel comes on the TV.

Again, there are a lot of religious channels so running across one is not that strange. How often do you drop the remote and get a non-religious channel? Would doing that be a sign that there was no god?

Quote:Or I look up an atheist like Sean Carroll and instead a religious site comes up instead but Sean Carroll is not mentioned in it .

On-line search? Search engines are designed to track the types of things you search for and offer up similar material. There is nothing at all strange about that.

Quote:Or this one as happens a few times I think about a ficunal character and they show up the same day in an atheist video some how like in clips or something over the last 8 months this as been happening . Please tell me if I am being stupid I am very scared

That happens to me all the time. I'll be thinking about some old TV show or character and I'll see references to it. You only notice it because you had been thinking about it. It's like buying a new vehicle and for the next month you start seeing them all over the road. They were always there but just weren't meaningful to you so you ignored them.

(19-12-2016 09:21 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So if these things happend to you would you just not bother about it or not take notice ?

I notice coincidences often. That's why we have the word for it. I find them amusing and sometimes interesting. They remind me of how much that I encounter every day I don't pay attention to. They don't mean anything.

Look at it this way, if there is a god then he either cares about you knowing or doesn't care. If he doesn't care then then coincidences are just that. If he does care and the best he can do is provide "evidence" that can easily be overlooked as simple coincidences then he's a pretty worthless god. I expect that if there really was a god it would be obvious to all and humans wouldn't have been arguing about it for thousands of years.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
19-12-2016, 09:44 AM
(19-12-2016 09:39 AM)Denzil Wrote:  I was never really part of any fold it's just the fret believe us or else and then you wonder what's really right atheism dose make more sense in meny ways my family are atheist mostly meny of the people I admire are atheist to so please believe me I am not looking for an excuse to reject it

Asking me to believe you does nothing to dispel my doubts about nature of your question.

I asked if you're afraid of Sköll or Fenrir. You probably aren't and for the same reason you shouldn't be afraid of christian myths. They aren't true, you were just exposed to people who think that one mythology is somewhat different.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post