Scary coincidences again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: Scary coincidences again
(19-12-2016 09:39 AM)Denzil Wrote:  I was never really part of any fold it's just the fret believe us or else and then you wonder what's really right atheism dose make more sense in meny ways my family are atheist mostly meny of the people I admire are atheist to so please believe me I am not looking for an excuse to reject it

I think your school did a number on you by planting these ideas in your head and making you fear them. As such, you developed this anxiety over them. Remember, you would not fear these things if your school had not told you about them.

So, which makes more logical sense? That an invisible magical leprechaun is communicating to you through your tv and Internet or that we are wired via evolution to see patterns, our brains then fill in blanks, and we onły count the hits and not the misses?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 09:47 AM
It's like the coincidences I noticed in my own life, every time I got a job working nights my wife got pregnant.
[+] 2 users Like Snowbusinesslikesnowbusiness's post
19-12-2016, 09:50 AM
(19-12-2016 09:21 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So if these things happend to you would you just not bother about it or not take notice ?

What you are confused by I suspect is that you need to be aware that coincidences happen all the time. Your brain is programmed to look for them and to find them special.

For example, you might be passing through Hong Kong airport and see an old friend. Isn't it amazing that the two of you met up after so long, and in the same airport? But it's not that surprising. You know a lot of people, sooner or later if you travel you might bump into one of them.

It's the same with the other things you mentioned. Also because you're thinking a lot about religious stuff it will be noticed by you more than normal. So coincidences become magnified in your mind especially if they have a religious overtone.

You walk down the road humming a Christmas carol, and as you step into the shop the *same* carol is playing over the PA system! Coincidence? How eerie. But it's around Christmas time and there are only a few dozen carols that are popular and that stores play, maybe even the reason you're humming it is because last week you were in the same store and the same music was playing. Your brain sees this "coincidence" and goes into "WOOOOOOW" mode.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
19-12-2016, 09:50 AM
(19-12-2016 09:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 09:39 AM)Denzil Wrote:  I was never really part of any fold it's just the fret believe us or else and then you wonder what's really right atheism dose make more sense in meny ways my family are atheist mostly meny of the people I admire are atheist to so please believe me I am not looking for an excuse to reject it

Asking me to believe you does nothing to dispel my doubts about nature of your question.

I asked if you're afraid of Sköll or Fenrir. You probably aren't and for the same reason you shouldn't be afraid of christian myths. They aren't true, you were just exposed to people who think that one mythology is somewhat different.
That's true I am not to bother about other religious or myths I don't really know about guess that means something
19-12-2016, 09:53 AM
(19-12-2016 09:50 AM)Denzil Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 09:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Asking me to believe you does nothing to dispel my doubts about nature of your question.

I asked if you're afraid of Sköll or Fenrir. You probably aren't and for the same reason you shouldn't be afraid of christian myths. They aren't true, you were just exposed to people who think that one mythology is somewhat different.
That's true I am not to bother about other religious or myths I don't really know about guess that means something

That means you were conditioned to believe in tribal, primitive god and it is said conditioning that makes ordinary coincidences seem scary. As others had said there is nothing extraordinary in your experience.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-12-2016, 09:54 AM
(19-12-2016 09:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 09:21 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So if these things happend to you would you just not bother about it or not take notice ?

What you are confused by I suspect is that you need to be aware that coincidences happen all the time. Your brain is programmed to look for them and to find them special.

For example, you might be passing through Hong Kong airport and see an old friend. Isn't it amazing that the two of you met up after so long, and in the same airport? But it's not that surprising. You know a lot of people, sooner or later if you travel you might bump into one of them.

It's the same with the other things you mentioned. Also because you're thinking a lot about religious stuff it will be noticed by you more than normal. So coincidences become magnified in your mind especially if they have a religious overtone.

You walk down the road humming a Christmas carol, and as you step into the shop the *same* carol is playing over the PA system! Coincidence? How eerie. But it's around Christmas time and there are only a few dozen carols that are popular and that stores play, maybe even the reason you're humming it is because last week you were in the same store and the same music was playing. Your brain sees this "coincidence" and goes into "WOOOOOOW" mode.

There's actually something called the Improbability Principle which was developed by a statistician named David Hand. He wrote a book by the same name. He shows how coincidences happen all the time, statistically speaking. Great book. I highly recommend.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 09:57 AM
(19-12-2016 09:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

I think your school did a number on you by planting these ideas in your head and making you fear them. As such, you developed this anxiety over them. Remember, you would not fear these things if your school had not told you about them.

So, which makes more logical sense? That an invisible magical leprechaun is communicating to you through your tv and Internet or that we are wired via evolution to see patterns, our brains then fill in blanks, and we onły count the hits and not the misses?
Evolution makes more sense there is alot of evidence for it I have come to believe it is real and yes there are some misses wen I thought of a fictional character some of them didn't come up and thank you
[+] 1 user Likes Denzil's post
19-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Also thank you to jennybee you have helped me I have David hands book and will look at it also after looking up cowinsidense on the retinol wiki I feel little better so some of the characters I thought of have not shown up in my daily life yet also some where very common like Darth Vader batman ect. so I guess I should expect to see them still I think it's odd some of the more unknown characters have shown up to. But I guess real cowinsidense happen to and I probably usually would not of given them much notice.
19-12-2016, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 04:01 PM by jennybee.)
(19-12-2016 02:56 PM)Denzil Wrote:  Also thank you to jennybee you have helped me I have David hands book and will look at it also after looking up cowinsidense on the retinol wiki I feel little better so some of the characters I thought of have not shown up in my daily life yet also some where very common like Darth Vader batman ect. so I guess I should expect to see them still I think it's odd some of the more unknown characters have shown up to. But I guess real cowinsidense happen to and I probably usually would not of given them much notice.

We are constantly inundated with information and stimulus. We have conversations with friends/family/coworkers irl and online. We have the radio, tv, internet, commercials, movie trailers, online forums. YouTube, google searches (which as LD pointed out will automatically give you searches based on past searches). We have a myriad of online advertisers, yahoo news, etc.. The list goes on and on...

As such, it's not beyond reality that you would come across these characters at some point--even on occasion at closer intervals after thinking them--just due to the bombardment of daily and constant stimulus.

And as you say, it doesn't happen all the time, which kinda proves this whole thing is random. Or either that, maybe those are the days when God gets lazy and doesn't feel like doing much communicating via fictional characters Tongue Wink

As for the odd characters that pop up after your thinking them--if you keep thinking about fictional characters and you do this quite a bit, eventually one or two odder ones could also pop up just based on the amount of times you keep thinking about fictional characters. If you keep doing this, eventually you are going to see an odd one or two just based on probability and the law of large numbers.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Thank you you make me feel a lot better I noticed when it doesn't happen it's often more obscure characters that I thought of this some times they have come up but guess this will happen anyway thankyou you have really helped me out Smile