Scary coincidences again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 05:44 AM
RE: Scary coincidences again
To ask one other thing on this is it not odd to you guys that some theses cowinsidenses happend all in a short time like over two weeks and in one week there was a cowinsidense on 4 days and then the next week I was about 3
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2016, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 07:35 AM by Velvet.)
The "coincidences" that would would point to "God does not exist" are passing by unnoticed, they are unremarkable to you, as your brain is not seeking for them.

Immagine that you live a world created by an almighty God, which is omnipotent and omniscient, and since the dawn of time itself, he designed the universe, in such a way that you would eventually be born, so that he could interact with you by dropping your remote control and changing your TV channel, in order to show his infinite love for you and make you notice that and love him back.

This doesn't seem reasonable...

What you are suffering from is called confirmation bias.

There are some experiments you could do to learn a bit about how this works, you can decide on a hypothesis like "we are all living in the matrix", or if you want to be really terrified, something like "there's a being in my house, and he stalks me from inside my closed wardrobes, and behind doors".

And now start looking for evidence for that hypothesis that would (even subtly) point towards your hypothesis, look at the way your furniture is placed, the patterns on the wood could offer you signs that you are right, you can look for signs on TV shows, it will be obvious, so many signs that you were ignoring until now...

And about the being that watches you, perhaps you may even feel that he is watching you as you read this.

We are able to find patterns and feel fellings that point to anything we are already suspicious, as long as we look for it, and its very hard to NOT do that if you are not doing it consciously.

This is why scientists observe the phenomena and form models that might be able to predict future events, this models show themselves to be reliable (or unreliable) regardless of the scientist opinion, instead of looking for evidence that would confirm a hypothesis, they know how biases work and make sure to avoid falling prey to flawled reasoning because of them.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 3 users Like Velvet's post
20-12-2016, 08:41 AM
20-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Thankyou I do think I might be suffering from the bias as there are ficunal characters that didn't show up . I know I ask this so some other but if this happened to you velvet would it not bother you much ?
20-12-2016, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 08:58 AM by jennybee.)
(20-12-2016 05:44 AM)Denzil Wrote:  To ask one other thing on this is it not odd to you guys that some theses cowinsidenses happend all in a short time like over two weeks and in one week there was a cowinsidense on 4 days and then the next week I was about 3

It actually makes more sense that you would see and notice them sooner rather than later because you've given these items selective attention (you gave your thoughts special significance). As such, your brain is going to naturally start looking for these things (often times without you really even knowing it).

Think about how many other fictional characters you come across on a daily or weekly basis that your mind just blows right by. Why? Because you gave these fictional characters no special significance so your brain does not bother to look for them.

Couple all of this with confirmation bias, like others have mentioned and each time you have a hit your brain draws a correlation between fictional character and sign from God. When you have a miss, your brain just tosses that out and waits for the next hit. The hits cause you anxiety, so your brain holds onto those and no anxiety with the misses so your brain tosses those out. The hits start to appear more frequent (even though they're not) simply because of the way your brain is reacting to them.

You add in the Improbability Principle (a breakdown of the principle available on David Hand's website and in detail in his book) into the mix and there you have your coincidences.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-12-2016, 08:58 AM
So far today nothing as happened thanks jennybee I am sorry if I am a bother to you or any of the others. I am prone to being irrational. I used to believe all sorts of weird things supernatural stuff scars me alot I think I have an over active mind that reacts to fear alot wish I was more like you guys.
20-12-2016, 09:01 AM
(20-12-2016 08:58 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So far today nothing as happened thanks jennybee I am sorry if I am a bother to you or any of the others. I am prone to being irrational. I used to believe all sorts of weird things supernatural stuff scars me alot I think I have an over active mind that reacts to fear alot wish I was more like you guys.

It's not set in stone that you will always be this way. Calm down and relax. Even if God is calling you he'll hardly be pissed off that you didn't freak out and go bow down in the nearest church. Or if he is he's a fuck so fuck him.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-12-2016, 09:04 AM
(20-12-2016 08:58 AM)Denzil Wrote:  So far today nothing as happened thanks jennybee I am sorry if I am a bother to you or any of the others. I am prone to being irrational. I used to believe all sorts of weird things supernatural stuff scars me alot I think I have an over active mind that reacts to fear alot wish I was more like you guys.

It's okay. Religion has done a number on us all. Just remember there is nothing magical about what's happening. It's all just how the brain works, so while on some occasions, odd things may appear to be happening--it's really just a combination of probability and how the brain perceives information.

There is definitely a real thing called Religious Trauma Syndrome. It might be helpful for you to speak to a therapist skilled in dealing with this sort of thing. It sounds like you are really struggling. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-12-2016, 09:15 AM
(20-12-2016 03:09 AM)Denzil Wrote:  Thanks for your messages and thank you for the help with all this you guys seem far more rational than I am

It's fine amigo Wink Rational thinking is a skill that can be learned.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
20-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Do you guys have any advice on how to be more rational or less scard of this type of thing