Scary coincidences again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 09:45 AM by Velvet.)
RE: Scary coincidences again
(20-12-2016 08:43 AM)Denzil Wrote:  Thankyou I do think I might be suffering from the bias as there are ficunal characters that didn't show up . I know I ask this so some other but if this happened to you velvet would it not bother you much ?

It actually happens with all of us all the time... not necessarily about Yahweh like you, but we all suffer from bias in many many ways.

Once we have a formed idea, we are more prone to notice symbols, coincidences and such that would confirm us, while there are many coincidences (and not-coincidences) happening that may be going against our preconceived idea, but we fail to recognize them as meaningful because we are not looking for patterns in that way.

Those coincidences are 2 (or more) events in which you identified some kind of pattern, but there were infinite other events in which you didn't, all those other events simply didn't pointed out to your hypothesis about a God in any strange way, so why all those events would matter less than the few you noticed?

We could say, for each time you dropped your remote control and that changed your TV to a religious channel, how many times you instead succeed to get your remote without having it dropped? And how many times you did dropped it, but it didn't changed the channel, or even it did changed the TV channel but to some random TV show which is not religious?

Your whole life, accounting all your remote-control usage, how much % lead to strange results that would imply supernatural interference?

This is quite clearly confirmation bias.

And to give you even more insight on how you are biased on this, suppose that those coincidences are just literally impossible to happen without some supernatural interference.

Ok... now what we have? We have that something supernatural would need to be causing it, why not start with all other supernatural hypothesis that do not involve a being with infinite attributes that conflict with themselves defying logic?

Isn't more likely that you have some gene mutation that gave you superpowers? and you are not aware of it, but those powers are inadvertedly shaping reality?

Maybe ghosts exists, and there's a ghost who likes to fuck with you making strange coincidences to play with your head?

Maybe we are in the matrix, and you are being tested?

Maybe there is indeed a cosmic almighty being who is trying to get your attention by making strange coincidences, but how would you jump from there directly to "God of the religion X", why not Loki, the god of michief instead? It would make much more sense for a playful entity to consider a chaotic approach like that than it would be some entity like Yahweh.

Can you see how biased you are towards an hypothesis, when there are many others natural (and even supernatural) explanations that would fit better in your case?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Velvet's post
20-12-2016, 09:44 AM
(20-12-2016 09:27 AM)Denzil Wrote:  Do you guys have any advice on how to be more rational or less scard of this type of thing

Some of it is life experience. I spent a large part of my teenage years terrified of dying. That meant I was a vulnerable target for people who claimed they could tell me how to live forever. Although... I kinda saw through their bullshit, mostly.

Another part of it is actually learning about critical thinking skills. Critical thinking simply means checking the claim. For example say Comrade Herr UberMensch Trump says that thousands of Muslims were seen partying on the rooftops after 9/11. This is a fact claim. How can you check it. Primarily, by reading news reports of the time. It would have definitely been reported on had this been the case. In this case because of the attention on Trump, several newspapers investigated it rather thoroughly.

Now of course you have to decide if you trust the newspaper reports.

And so on. It helps to learn particularly about biases that we humans are prone to. For example, we are capable of hallucinations. Lucid dreaming is another thing - it refers to a state where you are awake in your bed but cannot move. Sometimes people who are lucid dreaming see things in this state, and hence reports of alien anal probes and the like. We are prone to memory errors. There is research available showing that it's rather simple to implant memories into people. Even vivid ones. There have been famous cases of people convicted of child abuse on the basis of memories of their kids "recovered" by psychologists, where it was later more or less proven that the memories were implanted, or at least that the "recovery" technique was fatally flawed. We are prone to statistical errors - as you have fallen victim to - we see coincidences in everything.

You can google all of these things. Also probably some reading material is in order. I suggest Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World. It's a classic and covers a lot of critical thinking skills.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
20-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Thanks velvet thinking that way if I was something that wanted to scar me or toy with me there would of been meny other opatunetys to case more coincidences that dident happen and some of ficunal character I thought of like Darth Vader or batman are pretty famous so I should expect that . It's true that some more obscure characters did show up but a coincidence and be just that I guess. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me I have been terribly worried and you guys really do help
[+] 1 user Likes Denzil's post
20-12-2016, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 10:16 AM by Velvet.)
(20-12-2016 09:27 AM)Denzil Wrote:  Do you guys have any advice on how to be more rational or less scard of this type of thing

Well if you realize your position of being prone to irrationality and wants to learn critical thinking, rejoice, you are already ahead of most people...

If you want to start from scratch to learn how to think critically, you might wanna check the radio show "atheist experience" is not huge knowledge material but is a good start and those shows are often very funny and that makes learning lots of fun...

Matt frequently explains to people "how to think" about something, that helped me when I started researching skepticism a few years ago...

If you are into something a bit more serious I would recommend watching Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens debates, reminding you that you don't have to agree with what they say, you just have to pay attention to how they think.

Whenever they say something that you disagree with, go research about it yourself, think about and form your opinions, and seek videos about it especifically, if you want to discuss you can even come here and ask our opinions.

This is basically how I learned to be skeptical, it might work for you too, who knows...

EDIT: Save my suggestions for later in your study, as morondog said Carl Sagan (and I would add Neil Degrasse Tyson) are likely way more helpful for you to start. If you can look for the show "Cosmos", you won't regret it.

[+] 2 users Like Velvet's post
20-12-2016, 10:14 AM
(20-12-2016 10:04 AM)Velvet Wrote:  EDIT: Save my suggestions for later in your study, as morondog said Carl Sagan (and Neil Degrasse Tyson) are likely way more helpful for you to start.

I disagree, I think your suggestions are excellent, and should be part of the mix from the start.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Yeah I know the atheist experience it as helped me in the past would like to speak to Matt he seems a very smart guy .
20-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Also thanks for the suggestions I will look into tgem
20-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Well we are not Matt but if you have any questions that you would like to address to someone like him you could try to make a thread about it, there are a few very smart guys here too...

[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
20-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Yeah you guys do seem very rational and intelligent to me and kind to
[+] 1 user Likes Denzil's post
20-12-2016, 10:26 AM
(20-12-2016 10:19 AM)Velvet Wrote:  Well we are not Matt but if you have any questions that you would like to address to someone like him you could try to make a thread about it, there are a few very smart guys here too...

...And girls Dodgy Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post