Scary coincidences again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: Scary coincidences again
(22-12-2016 10:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 10:00 AM)Denzil Wrote:  The thing is the characters I thought of was in my mind and they showed up on Facebook posts I TS true that they could of show up anyway but they where kinda obscure I still think it's really odd

Even odd ones are going to pop up on occasion if you do this frequently enough which it sounds like you do.

Well I spend most of the day on my phone with Facebook and lots of people post stuff plus my dad thought of a football player that I never heard and he as not shown up because maybe it's not something I am in to
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 10:20 AM
(22-12-2016 10:18 AM)Denzil Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 10:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Even odd ones are going to pop up on occasion if you do this frequently enough which it sounds like you do.

Well I spend most of the day on my phone with Facebook and lots of people post stuff plus my dad thought of a football player that I never heard and he as not shown up because maybe it's not something I am in to

Exactly. Wink Doesn't that sound more reasonable than a magical being communicating to you through Batman? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
22-12-2016, 10:30 AM
My dad is just like you guys he is very logical so you guys would still think of this in a none religious way like it's just the improbability principle or something like that plus just random ness
22-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Denzil, do you understand what she means by "counts the hits and ignores the misses"?

Your brain sees thousands of things a minute, but doesn't commit 99% of it to memory because your brain would overload in an instant.

However, if you see something that is related to something "pre-loaded" in your brain (from prior thoughts), then your brain will "notice" it and bring it to your active attention.

So if 1000 things occur, and one of them is something you've thought about previously, your brain will "forget" that it saw the other 999 things, and you'll focus on the one thing. Your brain tells you that one thing is important, and acts like the rest of it never happened, essentially. Data dump.

It's called observation bias, and it's a well-understood phenomenon-- the Scientific Method was designed in large part to try to avoid such mental prejudices in the individual. They are so programmed into our brains that it's almost impossible to avoid.

So, with that in mind, think of it like this... which is more likely?

1) Invisible supernatural beings are trying to communicate with you through strange coincidences and cartoon characters,

or

2) Your brain is making connections due to observer bias, and your mythological/magical social conditioning is causing your brain to link those coincidences to a religious idea?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-12-2016, 10:44 AM
(22-12-2016 10:30 AM)Denzil Wrote:  My dad is just like you guys he is very logical so you guys would still think of this in a none religious way like it's just the improbability principle or something like that plus just random ness

Like RS said about confirmation bias--great way to explain it to you, btw. Also yes, based on probability, things are going to pop up on occasion.

Here see how this works (from David Hand's Improbability Principle available on his website):

Law of Inevitability: Something has to happen. You either see a fictional character that you thought of or you don't (and sometimes you don't). The point is, something has to occur.

Law of Truly Large Numbers: You do something often enough and that *significantly* increases your odds of coincidences happening. Like you say you are online and on Facebook pretty much all day.

Law of Selection: You can make things as likely as you want after the event.

Law of the Probability Lever: Slight changes make highly improbable events almost certain. For example, let's say you thought about Batman and then went to a comic fan site. Well, yeah, you're probably going to see Batman.

Law of Near Enough: Events sufficiently similar are viewed as identical. For example, maybe you thought of C. Bale's Batman but Michael Keaton's Batman popped up--but you count that as a hit anyway.
22-12-2016, 10:47 AM
I guess the law of probablity leaver would be me on Facebook and on my phone alot
[+] 1 user Likes Denzil's post
22-12-2016, 10:48 AM
I know you guys make sense
22-12-2016, 10:49 AM
(22-12-2016 10:47 AM)Denzil Wrote:  I guess the law of probablity leaver would be me on Facebook and on my phone alot

Yes and the law of truly large numbers--constantly thinking of fictional characters and constantly on fb and phone.
22-12-2016, 10:52 AM
You think this could even explain rare characters showing up often like with in a few days
22-12-2016, 10:55 AM
(22-12-2016 10:52 AM)Denzil Wrote:  You think this could even explain rare characters showing up often like with in a few days

Yes, because even rare characters are going to show up on occasion. Think about how many times rare characters don't show up v. the times they do. You are going to naturally have some hits, some misses. Surely a magical and perfect god would not allow for any misses if he was truly communicating to you that way Wink