Scenario: You bought a house, and your significant other moves in. Do you charge?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: Scenario: You bought a house, and your significant other moves in. Do you charge?
(07-11-2014 01:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Eh?

I don't see how deliberately keeping a partner ignorant of the law is anywhere close to a good idea. Nor would any "agreement" made under such conditions be judged as in good faith.
Where did you get that from?
Who is suggesting to keep someone ignorant of the law?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
RE: Scenario: You bought a house, and your significant other moves in. Do you charge?
(07-11-2014 07:20 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 04:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't think the cost of the mortgage directly factors in because she has no stake in the property. Not to mention that the mortgage is heavily influenced by down payment size and your interest rate. That's why I personally think of it more of a function on the market rate for rent, because then she knows she is saving money over living elsewhere (and she gets a whole lot of extra perks such as decoration/ lots of space, new appliances, huge kitchen, etc).

Look dude - you are over analyzing this way too much. The mortgage is what it costs to live there. It's paying rent to yourself. The reason why it's paying rent to yourself is because even if you sell the house, you will never get everything you paid into the house (repairs, upgrades, etc.) back. People get confused over this, understandably so when cnn money writes misleading articles about real estate. Specifically, when they say you will get 70% return on your asset, that means you LOSE 30%. It's extremely rare that people get all their money back in terms of appreciation.

A mortgage is no different than rent. I promise you that any rent you paid before you owned was the price of the mortgage, tax, water consumption and a few hundred more to cover repairs. Most landlords don't rent for less than the expense of owning it. That would be stupid.

Therefore, she she cover half the damn mortgage. It's rent.

This is suppose to be your significant other. Your PARTNER. No one gets to live rent free. A partner that balks at the thought of contributing to a future together is someone you should not be partnered with.

Then the partner needs to be added to the deed. You can't expect people to invest in your dream and just walk away if the relationship dissolves.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-11-2014, 02:06 AM
(07-11-2014 01:30 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I understood you. Nickel and diming (even if it works out in her favor) again, is not my idea of a good healthy start to a cohabitating relationship. This is what it costs to live in your house for you. She should be contributing to that. However you want to do that is up to you.
Ahh ok. I know I look at money differently than most people. Some may see it as nickel and diming. While I see (some of) it as not being taken advantage of, while not taking advantage of. I prefer to just openly discuss these things as I know finances are a huge reason that breaks couples apart. So I take action to make sure I don't harbor any negative feelings.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post