Schitzophrenia

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
26-07-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Schitzophrenia
How i see it,is that spiking his food the generic drug that is perfectly legal and treats the "disease"
is the ethical thing to do. Although it is illegal,but you can jump trough the hole by letting your parents prepare the food.
And if you think the medicine is of lesser quality(wich i doubt),you can let any chemist test it.
Generic drugs are the exact same thing,only cheaper because they dont have a famous brand.
So,if i was you,i would order the meds,get them tested by a chemist,and let your parents prepare the food,let him eat the food.
Actually,i would personally prepare the food and spike it.
If i had the meds that would make my brother more sane,i wouldnt think twice about putting it in his food.
Even if it is illegal,it is the ethical thing to treat your brother's "disease".
I do not get you,in any way.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 03:52 AM
I think suggesting he get legal guardianship is out the question. Although he loves his brother he pretty much resents him. Getting guardianship would give him even more responsibility thus taking him further down the rabbit hole. This is not what he want. This person simply wants his life back but would be too guilty to throw his own away in some institution. Perhaps the man should ask for help with his brother. Get the parents involved again. This way he won't have to become fully accountable with guardianship. The parents can do the spiking.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
27-07-2013, 10:41 AM
(25-07-2013 03:24 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  My brother is schizophrenic and just came in to advise me about how to manage his money. He draws a disability check and I control his money. Which isn't much. He wanted to make sure that if it was over a million dollars, I would handle it correctly.

This didn't even phase me, because I am used to it. At least I understood the question, which is not always the case. I would like to talk with others who must deal with schizophrenia.

There are times when he comes in my room, angry and concerned! And I can't even understand what he is trying to tell me, ask me, warn me about, whatever!

I have become used to being woken up in the middle of the night by him: Yelling at someone. Cursing someone!

Anyone else know anything about this?

Ameron, if you could somehow get control of his voices and delusions that would help you and him. Would he allow you to have what's called "durable power of attorney"? Could you sort of trick him into this? I know that may not be honest but sometimes the end justifies the means.

There are some new drugs out on the market, as I mentioned before, Latuda which doesn't have weight gain as a side effect.

There is an experiment with, believe it or not, an over the counter heartburn drug, Pepcid. In large doses (200 mg a day) it blocks the H2 receptor. This is a newer approach to psychosis. Here is a small study........

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/07/02/...56730.html

What I think is one of the great advances in science is the mapping of the brain which started this last spring. Similar to the genome project it will map everything in the brain and my guess is there will be some advances in many of the mental illness we see. Unfortunately it will take 8 to 10 years but it's a step in the right direction.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
27-07-2013, 12:51 PM
(26-07-2013 07:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 02:07 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  No. I am not his legal guardian. My parents pushed their responsibility for him off on me many years ago. Because they couldn't handle him. So, I had to take the responsibility. So, I love him and I hate him! I wasn't really looking for the help that I know I will never get when I started this thread. I was hoping to talk to others who have to live this way.

Anyone else going to die alone, because you have to invite someone to share their life with a crazy person?

Anyone else think the idea that I can just sprinkle "Happy Dust" on my brothers cheeseburger is a really stupid idea!

Anyone know anything about schitzophrenia? Anyone?

When my transgender daughter was originally diagnosed with schizophrenia I researched everything I could find about it. The more I read the more I realized that there was a good possibility that he (at the time he was still "he") was mis-diagnosed and that turned out to be true.

One thing that struck me when I was learning about schizophrenia was, yes, the family really does need to be involved and if you can get durable power of attorney then you can have more control over the situation.

There are once a month shots now. I believe it's called Invega Sustenna and another shot that is called Respiradel Consta. I think that one might be twice a month. Another newer medicine is Latuda and some patients have had good response to that. The shots work for some people because they don't have to remember to take their medicine everyday.

There is a new therapy called Cognitive Remediation Therapy. It seems to work for people with schizophrenia but it's hard to find someone experienced with this method. It's something beyond regular cognitive therapy by the way.

I don't know where you live but if you can find some mental health group it can help with the stress you are under.

One thing to remember is if you can keep your brother on the meds for a long, long time the dosage can be reduced. There are brain scans that seem to point to a part of the brain that is repaired by the medicines but they have to be on the meds long term. Years. I know they have terrible side effects though.

There is a supplement called NAC, short for N-acetylcysteine and another one called L- glutamine that has had some success with schizophrenia. There are studies going on using glutamine. You can get this at GNC stores or online.

I don't know how old your brother is but some people do live fairly normal lives and go to college. It's not easy but people actually do.

There is a forum on Schizophrenia.com and you might find some more answers there.

I wish you the best. My heart aches for you.

Thanks for trying to help! My brother is 49, less than a year younger than me. As far as the family is concerned, I am "the family" Mom, Dad and my youngest brother are dead. The problem with the possibility of help from drugs, is getting him to a mental health expert, who will prescribe them. He will not accept that he is mentally ill and will become very angry with me if I suggest it.
27-07-2013, 12:58 PM
(26-07-2013 03:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 02:57 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  I have to say this. And I enjoy this forum everyday! Because I have talked to some really smart people, here! But, I have spoken to people with, like nine stars suggesting really stupid ideas to me! The idea that you can dust someone's food with unapproved drugs is worse than foolish! It is foolish and probably criminal! Someone bump me up! Folks you can't do that! It's illegal to drug anyone! Probably a felony!

Am I wrong?

I'm going to bed. But I expect to be bumped way the hell up in the morning! Lots of rep points! Brand new stars! Or I will start a new thread, tomorrow: It will be called: "Follow Your Static!" Yes! Open your mind to the static on your T.V. set! Maybe smoke a 'J'. Maybe, I don't know: Ask some serious questions here?

If you want the situation to change, you are going to have to change it.

Get him examined by medical professionals, get him prescriptions.

Have your brother declared incompetent, get legal control, or medical power of attorney, or whatever it is in Kentucky.

Administer those prescriptions legally because you have the responsibility and authority.

Lock up the fucking guns.

You are sitting in a powder magazine and smoking a cigar.

Yea. I know that you are right. But it'll be after the fight! Actually, Mom and Dad tried to have him committed, long before they died. But he has rights and this not an easy thing to do. He's smart enough to survive an interview. Answer questions "correctly".

The guns are not locked up, but the ammunition is.
27-07-2013, 01:00 PM
(27-07-2013 03:52 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I think suggesting he get legal guardianship is out the question. Although he loves his brother he pretty much resents him. Getting guardianship would give him even more responsibility thus taking him further down the rabbit hole. This is not what he want. This person simply wants his life back but would be too guilty to throw his own away in some institution. Perhaps the man should ask for help with his brother. Get the parents involved again. This way he won't have to become fully accountable with guardianship. The parents can do the spiking.

My parents are dead. But you are right! I want my life back!
27-07-2013, 01:15 PM
(26-07-2013 09:50 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  How i see it,is that spiking his food the generic drug that is perfectly legal and treats the "disease"
is the ethical thing to do. Although it is illegal,but you can jump trough the hole by letting your parents prepare the food.
And if you think the medicine is of lesser quality(wich i doubt),you can let any chemist test it.
Generic drugs are the exact same thing,only cheaper because they dont have a famous brand.
So,if i was you,i would order the meds,get them tested by a chemist,and let your parents prepare the food,let him eat the food.
Actually,i would personally prepare the food and spike it.
If i had the meds that would make my brother more sane,i wouldnt think twice about putting it in his food.
Even if it is illegal,it is the ethical thing to treat your brother's "disease".
I do not get you,in any way.

I totally understand what you are suggesting. But it's not logical. Prescription's are prescribed by some kind of health professional. Otherwise, unless they are "Over the Counter" drugs, they are illegal. If someone hands you a valume, or a zanex, they are committing an illegal act. Therefore it's not ethical. If I chose to try to "treat" my brother, by buying and administering whatever drug I felt was appropriate, I would be committing an act that that is not only, illegal, but is wrong! I am not a mental health professional, and should not be making decisions for anyone who is mentally ill.

I haven't been trained to know what drugs will make my brother more sane. Therefore I can't administer said drugs. Because I could be doing more harm than good.
27-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I have to agree with Ameron on the not just drugging him randomly thing. Doctors need to change doses and meds and combine meds to deal with this kind of thing...It's a guessing game for them to a degree. Probably not a great idea to just go spiking the dudes coffee.

I do think you should find a way to get him to the doc though, tell him you are going out for ice cream or beer or something, I dunno.

and if you really can't deal with it then you need to look into getting him live in help or sending him off to a center or something. At some point you have do need to live your own life.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
27-07-2013, 01:22 PM
(26-07-2013 02:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 02:26 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  I'll bet you dollars to popcorn balls that the standards of India are not the same as those in the U.S.A.

Pharmacies in India and pharmacies in the US and pharmacies in general buy their drugs from the same manufacturers (at least the brand name ones, more flexibility with generics). There is no difference. But this is all irrelevant at this point since you are not his legal guardian.

(26-07-2013 02:57 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  It's illegal to drug anyone!

If you were his legal guardian you would be responsible and legally obligated to ensure he is properly medicated even if that means spiking his food. Since you are not, it would be illegal and irresponsible to medicate him. You are in a pickle and I don't see no easy way out. Get legal guardianship, institutionalize him, or maintain the status quo are the only options I see.

You got it, dude! That is exactly where I stand!

I can deal with "Duh! Are you an idiot???" But not: "Here's a really stupid idea! Why don't you try it!"
27-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Ameron isn't looking to change the situation but wants to be pitied.

I don't think what you are doing is fair to your bro. It's the least fair solution of all.

If you can't persuade him to go to a doc, then ask for help and they will pick him up. He will be upset, but they will help him and what you get back after a while is a functioning individual who will be an asset to you.

The old drugs are not like the new drugs. Medicine advances constantly. I think your bro deserves a chance. By giving him a chance at a life, you are giving yourself one too.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post