Schizophrenia and atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Schizophrenia and atheists
So basically I want to know what are other atheists views on schizophrenic people and schizophrenia. I here so much about "religious people are delusional". I guess part of my disorder has me a bit paranoid to talk to other atheists just because of the stigma and their views on delusion. Some of the things I'd like to know are do you believe schizophrenics can be logical and reasonable on medications? Do you know anything about schizo outside of what others have spoken about it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2012, 06:59 PM
RE: Schizophrenia and atheists
Welcome to the forum.

Don't be worried about our reaction to your problem. It's your problem after all.
Also a lot of members here have mental issues. Whether it's depression Bi-Polar disorder, or full blown Schizophrenia...
We're all a little messed up.

As for my experience with schizophrenia, well it wasn't a pleasant one. I'm not, but my mom was dating a guy who was, and then he moved in.
He decided to stop taking his meds, and not tell anyone. He would wait until she left and then start yelling at the no one that was there. He would just scream and holler. He tried to kill himself twice and us once. Good times. My mom is another story, but she just suffers from being a jerk hahah. That's my issue though.

So far as I can tell, as long as the sufferer continues taking their medication responsibly and makes note of variances in control, someone who is schizophrenic can be a perfectly normal functioning member of society.
Though I would imagine there are degrees of schizophrenia that aren't totally controllable via medication and would require constant supervision, just like any other mental and chemical disorder.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't think atheism has much to say about schizophrenia. It's just a label given to a set of symptoms and doesn't say much about what you do or don't believe.

I heard that people with schizophrenia can learn to recognize the 'voices in the head' from reality. Guess it shows that it really is up to you what you want to believe.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
25-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mobeus Smile

Yep, what they said Rolleyes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
25-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah just as a side note, posting this and outing myself as a schizophrenic among atheists has caused a little bit of a psychosis. I'm pretty heavily schizophrenic, been in and out of 3 hospitals just in the last 6 months. I think what others don't realize is that if I can distinguish voices in my head or hallucinations from reality, it makes being an atheist and a-religious quite easy.

Also taking meds is just a hard thing to do. It seems like the obvious choice is to take the meds and remain as normal as possible, but my theory is it shuts off alot of dopamine in the brain, and I believe dopamine is what makes drugs addictive. So it's kinda like an anti-addicting drug of you know what I mean.
25-03-2012, 07:21 PM
(25-03-2012 07:10 PM)Mobeus Wrote:  Also taking meds is just a hard thing to do. It seems like the obvious choice is to take the meds and remain as normal as possible, but my theory is it shuts off alot of dopamine in the brain, and I believe dopamine is what makes drugs addictive. So it's kinda like an anti-addicting drug of you know what I mean.
I think I can understand. It's a drug where you notice the side effects and it makes it unpleasant to take since you don't really notice the beneficial effects. It must be hard sometimes.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
25-03-2012, 07:37 PM
The only two things that can sort of replace dopamine are seratonin and - chocolate.

Not sure if you are allowed these or if they interact negatively with your drugs.

But they would make you feel better.

I know, people are laughing at my bringing up chocolate again today. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Chocolate makes me happy lol. I use other things not recommended as well such as marijuana nicotine and coffee but I mean, anti depressants really aren't recommended either. I view psychosis as inevitable now, as the drugs will wear off or the psychosis will overdub the meds. I think as long as I take the medicines I'm on the right path.
25-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I was lurking around (suprise, suprise) and stumbled onto this thread. I suppose it's what I was waiting for. Something that is a new discussion, and where I may be able to offer something valuable.

I am a schizophrenic. (I always say that instead of "I have schizophrenia cuz it pisses the doctors off lol) An important part of understanding the disease is to be aware that there are not only varying "degrees" of schizophrenia, but also many different types. So really, you'll never find two of us who are quite the same. We're all nutty, just some of us are salted, some roasted, a few are honey roasted.....ya. You get it.

I have auditory hallucinations. Many are voices, and others are sounds (my first and most common to this day is the sound of a door slamming shut.) Funny thing is, I've always known they were in my head. In fact I grew up thinking it was perfectly normal, and it was just "my brain thinking". Part of why I've always known it was only in my head is likely because I had a very early on-set. Sure they still take me by suprise sometimes (did you just say something?) but otherwise the hallucinations don't really affect my life. I am among the fortunate few who's only major symptom is auditory hallucinations. I do not take "meds" at all. I smoke weed (no secret here) and although it increases the hallucinations a little, it also relaxes me and makes them more tolerable when they are irritating me (It gets pretty loud in my noggin sometimes) but other than that I don't even take Tylenol.

I bring it up not to discourage you from taking your meds Mobius, but just to let others know how varying schizophrenia can be. That said, have you talked to your doctor about going med free, and if so, what was his/her response? Lots of doctors now, especially the younger generation here in Canada, are very open to unmedicated schizophrenia. It takes some dedication in other areas of your life (things like eating right, doing activities to intentionally stimulate different areas of the brain, etc.) but for many it is a solution to the problem you have...not liking what the poison..cough..cough...I mean meds do to you. Sorry, I was at one point medicated, and I literally felt like I was poisoned the whole time).

Thought I'd start out by trying to give you all a perspective you may not have had before.

And nice to meet ya Mobius.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-03-2012, 07:53 PM
@ Stark

I was going to mention you but didn't want to talk behind your back! Wink

Glad you dropped in!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)