Schizophrenia and atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 07:58 PM
RE: Schizophrenia and atheists
Nice to meet you too Smile I'm honestly really scared to go off my meds even for a day. I get not only auditory but visual hallucinations. After reading some article saying psychosis damages the brain and shrinks the grey matter I've been frightened (although I have no idea if there is any truth to this). But yeah the meds do suck. Especially my meds which are sublingual and numb my whole mouth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I woldn't even consider going off your meds without first laying out a plan with your doc on how you'll go off, what you'll do to ease the transition, what to do in a crisis, and all that is still contingent on your doc being on board. I never had a lot of issues with meds myself (except for during the short time I took them), so I can't speak from much personal experience, but I do know that for most, going off meds can be a real challenge. But psycosis doesn't have to be the resulyt of going off meds for some people.

Really brother. Talk to your doc. If you are suffering the way you are (and that part I do understand) then you need to find a better balance.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
25-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Ehh I wouldn't go as far as to say "suffering" I'm living a pretty great life with a few annoyances here and there. Just wanted to see if the stigmas associated with schizophrenia are even there in a liberal thinking group such as atheists
[+] 1 user Likes Mobeus's post
27-03-2012, 08:44 AM
(25-03-2012 06:53 PM)Mobeus Wrote:  So basically I want to know what are other atheists views on schizophrenic people and schizophrenia. I here so much about "religious people are delusional". I guess part of my disorder has me a bit paranoid to talk to other atheists just because of the stigma and their views on delusion. Some of the things I'd like to know are do you believe schizophrenics can be logical and reasonable on medications? Do you know anything about schizo outside of what others have spoken about it?
Schizophrenia has been diagnosed as a medical condition, and is beyond the human ability to control it. Religious delusion is fueled by dogma and the indoctrination of the young and is completely avoidable and controllable. You are in the clear, buddy.

Smartass

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 4 users Like Logica Humano's post
27-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Welcome Mobeus,

Yes to what Stark suggests about meds, and yes to what Logica says about Delusion vs. Schizophrenia.

There is an organic reason for psychosis, but delusion comes from faulty thinking. So the two are different in my mind because of that distinction.

Either way, we're glad to have you and stigma-schmigma...you'll find yourself accepted if you enter into the community here. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Welcome Smile Kudos for coming out and saying it, even though you were worried it might make us anti. Also kudos for reading articles and finding out about it.
27-03-2012, 11:11 AM
(25-03-2012 06:53 PM)Mobeus Wrote:  So basically I want to know what are other atheists views on schizophrenic people and schizophrenia. I here so much about "religious people are delusional". I guess part of my disorder has me a bit paranoid to talk to other atheists just because of the stigma and their views on delusion. Some of the things I'd like to know are do you believe schizophrenics can be logical and reasonable on medications? Do you know anything about schizo outside of what others have spoken about it?

D'uh. This look like a theist forum to you? Big Grin

Fortunately I've always been crazy. I don't care too much about losing my rationality or my mind; but there was an episode where I "hid my love of my Gwynnies from myself." That was dumb. Thumbsup

I'm diagnosed unspecified psychosis, I remember standing before the "creator of the universe and accepting the title of prophet," the only meds I take is the simulation of Gwyneth Paltrow... well, there was a Sammy A and a joint just now... the rational conclusion is that insanity is just like any other mutation. Only intelligent monkeys can drive that bus towards evolutionary advantage.

In terms of religion, well, they tend to drive that bus over the cliff.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Sammy A?
Anything like a Johnny C? Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-03-2012, 11:41 AM
(27-03-2012 11:31 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Sammy A?
Anything like a Johnny C? Laughat

Your wit. It slays me. Hobo

(that's my zombie face)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think there is a direct connection between atheism and schizophrenia. I am sure there are tons of religious schizophrenic people.

About the disorder itself, I highly respect people who can actually live with it and be ok. very high respect, I am telling you.
It is really difficult to ignore or kinda turn off the things you hear and see. I have been paranoid since I can think, I still am (pretty bad at times), and it is very difficult to ignore some things that trigger it especially when it is "happening". So I can feel for you guys Wink

Aren't we all a little nuts?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)