Scholarship

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
03-09-2013, 04:20 AM

Scholarship
I have a few quotes that I wanted to share. I will not comment on them - I believe they speak for themselves.

In "The Bible Answer Book," page 165, H. Hanegraaff quotes J. P. Moreland as saying (emphasis mine):

"the subjective texture of our conscious mental experiences - the feeling of pain, the experience of sound, the awareness of color - is different from anything that is simply physical. If the world were only made of matter, these subjective aspects of consciousness would not exist. But they do exist! So there must be more to the world than matter."

There's more. In his interview with Lee Strobel in the book "The Case for a Creator," page 319, Moreland "proves" free will by stating the following:

"So if the materialists are right, kiss free will good-bye. In their view, we're just very complicated computers that behave according to the laws of nature and the programming we receive. But, Lee, obviously they're wrong – we do have free will. We all know that deep down inside. We're more than just a physical brain."
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 05:31 AM
RE: Scholarship
Yes, and deep down we all 'know' that we are solid.

But science has shown, and can prove, that we simply lack the ability to perceive reality at the molecular or atomic level. 'Solid' is a mental construct that we use to perceive a world held together by the weak and strong atomic forces on a scale too small for us to perceive. The gaps between subatomic particles and even atoms is orders of magnitude greater than the particles themselves.

Our intuitions are quite often frighteningly wrong.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 09:11 AM
(03-09-2013 04:20 AM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  I have a few quotes that I wanted to share. I will not comment on them - I believe they speak for themselves.

In "The Bible Answer Book," page 165, H. Hanegraaff quotes J. P. Moreland as saying (emphasis mine):

"the subjective texture of our conscious mental experiences - the feeling of pain, the experience of sound, the awareness of color - is different from anything that is simply physical. If the world were only made of matter, these subjective aspects of consciousness would not exist. But they do exist! So there must be more to the world than matter."

There's more. In his interview with Lee Strobel in the book "The Case for a Creator," page 319, Moreland "proves" free will by stating the following:

"So if the materialists are right, kiss free will good-bye. In their view, we're just very complicated computers that behave according to the laws of nature and the programming we receive. But, Lee, obviously they're wrong – we do have free will. We all know that deep down inside. We're more than just a physical brain."

Ah, the good old argument from incredulity. Fail.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 09:32 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-09-2013 04:20 AM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  In "The Bible Answer Book," page 165, H. Hanegraaff quotes J. P. Moreland as saying (emphasis mine):

Too bad these old fools know nothing about Neuro-science, and how brains and the nervous system works. The premise of the first quoted line is demonstrably false, as any second year high school Biology student knows. Idiots.
The mention of Lee Stroebel's name in the same sentence as "scholarship" is a pathetic laugh. He's an untrained hack journalist. Not a scientist, not a expert in any field in Religion or History. He's a fraud. He "interviewed" people who were sympathetic to his cause in "The Case for Christ", *as if* that were to prove anything. It's not even valid Journalism. It's biased bullshit. He's built a career on his ignorant fraud. He's a complete joke.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 10:14 AM

(03-09-2013 09:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The premise of the first quoted line is demonstrably false, as any second year high school Biology student knows.

Not only that - the entire argument begs the question. He smuggled the conclusion into the first premise.
Quote this message in a reply