School Board takes away Christmas Break

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 12:09 PM
School Board takes away Christmas Break
This happened in my state right down the road from me...found it interesting.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/schoo.../comments/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
12-11-2014, 12:25 PM
RE: School Board takes away Christmas Break
Quote:Students are given excused absences when they miss school for religious observance, but parents say they shouldn’t have to choose between their faith and their school work.

You're the ones that insist on following the faith. You work it out on your own. School boards have no obligation to accommodate your unfounded desires. Drinking Beverage

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 9 users Like CleverUsername's post
12-11-2014, 12:29 PM
(12-11-2014 12:25 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
Quote:Students are given excused absences when they miss school for religious observance, but parents say they shouldn’t have to choose between their faith and their school work.

You're the ones that insist on following the faith. You work it out on your own. School boards have no obligation to accommodate your unfounded desires. Drinking Beverage

Faith and education shouldn't be combined, and yet they are and even the nonreligious get upset about something like this because we're so used to vacations from school and work- Christmas break being one of those vacations. In the end it comes down to what's important, education or faith. I'd only be mad because I'm lazy and love off-time from school.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
12-11-2014, 12:40 PM
I can see multiple sides of this. I can see the Muslims being ticked because they don't have their day, when other faiths do.

BUT it seems the other faiths have their holday because of the local demographics and there would be a high rate of absenteeism if they werent. My hometown school district in Southwest PA gets the first day of deer (buck) hunting season and the first day of trout season off because of the high rate of absenteeism by students and teachers. Smile

In the long run I feel its best to get away from labeling the days off as "Easter" or "yom kippur" because it will help to eliminate these types of disagreements as well as making them easier to move the break time in the calendar to work the school schedule better

Winter break, fall break, spring break. Much better options.

just another step in breaking free from religion. Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
I live on the West Coast of the US and we've been calling it Winter Break for the last 15 years or so. In the spring it's Spring Break and often doesn't coincide with easter at all. I can't remember the last time it was called Christmas and Easter break.

These people need to get with the times.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
With all the stories of schools suspending kids for drawing a picture of a gun its nice to see them come to a reasonable and rational decision.

Get your superstitions out of our schools.

BTW, these kids have too many breaks anyway for a bunch who can't read, write or do math. Keep them in class.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
12-11-2014, 02:27 PM
(12-11-2014 12:40 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I can see multiple sides of this. I can see the Muslims being ticked because they don't have their day, when other faiths do.

BUT it seems the other faiths have their holday because of the local demographics and there would be a high rate of absenteeism if they werent. My hometown school district in Southwest PA gets the first day of deer (buck) hunting season and the first day of trout season off because of the high rate of absenteeism by students and teachers. Smile

In the long run I feel its best to get away from labeling the days off as "Easter" or "yom kippur" because it will help to eliminate these types of disagreements as well as making them easier to move the break time in the calendar to work the school schedule better

Winter break, fall break, spring break. Much better options.

just another step in breaking free from religion. Thumbsup

I agree with you on this one. Days off should be considered based on the needs of the community. If you notice high absence around a particular day of the year, go ahead and block the necessary days off.

Yeas it's unfortunate that the Muslim kids might have to miss a day's work to celebrate their religious holiday, but if you've only got like two kids gone that day.... Why make it a full day off? On the other hand, I think a majority of folks celebrate "Christmas" whether in a religious or secular fashion. School should be closed in those days, but like Dance mentioned - it should be called "winter break".

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
I always thought Super Bowl Monday should be a holiday.
[+] 2 users Like photon9's post
13-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Education and religious celebrations should be separate. Schools shouldn't be cancelling classes for every religion's holidays. But I agree about equal treatment so, if they aren't all going to be accommodated, then none should be, including Christmas. However, Christmas break is pretty close to mid-year and I do think a mid-year break is warranted. It doesn't have to fall on Christmas week, but I think they should keep a mid-year break. Maybe New Year's week since that's global and not religious.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-11-2014, 11:34 AM
(12-11-2014 12:09 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  This happened in my state right down the road from me...found it interesting.

Right down the road from me too. Howdy neighbor.

In PG County we gave the Muslims there own days years ago. Not like missing another day from a PG County is gonna hurt anyone's education.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post