School Shooting in Portland OR today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: School Shooting in Portland OR today.
Sad stuff like this has to happen, I have family members who lived in Bath, MI when the bombings happened. This stuff has been happening for a long time and it's a shame it has to keep happening.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 05:08 PM
(10-06-2014 02:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Not sure about Portland schools but our district went on total lockdown. And tomorrow is the last day.

What area of Portland do you live in Moms? I live near Mt. Hood Community College and about a mile and a half from Reynolds HS. My husband teaches at Clackamas H School but I haven't heard about any kind of lockdown there. It's pretty far away from Reynolds.

It's sad but I think about some nut going into Clackamas H S and shooting up the place. I worry about my husband and I shouldn't have to.

As far as I know it was unrelated and just one or maybe two schools affected and not very long. Someone in the office I guess panicked (no, they ddin't say that -- someone else I know said it).

Scary day and I feel so bad for all the people involved.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-06-2014, 05:09 PM
http://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5797306/map...sandy-hook

[Image: Screen_Shot_2014-06-10_at_1.48.46_PM.png]

Every School Shooting since Sandy Hook. But the ridiculous ease of acquiring a firearm is not part of the problem and should never be raised when this happens.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-06-2014, 05:59 PM
(10-06-2014 05:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5797306/map...sandy-hook

Every School Shooting since Sandy Hook. But the ridiculous ease of acquiring a firearm is not part of the problem and should never be raised when this happens.

Rev, I totally disagree with you but the chances of me changing your mind is about the same as you changing my mind....about zero. Therefore, I'll just move on.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-06-2014, 06:00 PM
(10-06-2014 05:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5797306/map...sandy-hook

Yeah, but can a kid legally purchase a firearm?

10-06-2014, 06:21 PM
(10-06-2014 05:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Rev, I totally disagree with you but the chances of me changing your mind is about the same as you changing my mind....about zero. Therefore, I'll just move on.

I'm kind of in the middle, Making it illegal will just make criminals want to sell guns on the street a lot more because they will raise in price and make more of a profit. I don't think taking guns away will solve the problem just make gun violence worse. Should just make tougher restrictions to make it harder for people who don't plan on using them for correct purposes such as hunting or self defense to purchase firearms.

(10-06-2014 06:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Yeah, but can a kid legally purchase a firearm?

I don't think so, but parents can and kids can easily grab one from home.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
10-06-2014, 11:28 PM
President Obama points to Australian gun control laws as an example of why the US ‘should be ashamed’
http://news.com.au/national/president-ob...6950336777

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
11-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Sorry and sad to here my neighbour's communities are hurting today... it's so hard to understand something like this could even be true. Lots of hugs!
11-06-2014, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 12:33 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(10-06-2014 06:21 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 06:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yeah, but can a kid legally purchase a firearm?

I don't think so, but parents can and kids can easily grab one from home.

Then shouldn't the parents keep them locked up?

I guess my point is there must be responsibility -- a gun is an inanimate object that on its own does nothing. I don't see guns are the problem. I see the problem being people, who are complacent or apathetic, or just think those things happen to other families.

I hope that one day this country will end its love affair with guns -- not simply guns but violence. I've personally seen enough gun violence in my life. But I've also seen people do far worse without a gun in sight.

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-06-2014, 12:53 AM
(11-06-2014 12:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I hope that one day this country will end its love affair with guns -- not simply guns but violence. I've personally seen enough gun violence in my life. But I've also seen people do far worse without a gun in sight.

I think that's it. It's not really about the guns... it's not even about the violence, per se ... it's about the people.

It's very much like rape; it's really about who's in control. A person with a weapon decides who is in control and it becomes, "I'll show everyone I'm in control, by letting them see just how out of control I can let this get."

Also, "People will do with a crowd what they might never attempt as individuals." People are detached from the crowd but, they know there is a crowd out there just waiting for something to happen. It's become, I don't see any choices for me... may as well join the club... stick another pin in that map.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post