School Shooting in Portland OR today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2014, 10:35 PM
RE: School Shooting in Portland OR today.
(12-06-2014 06:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 11:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Can someone please explain why guns are not regulated at least as much as motor vehicles? Facepalm

In some states, they are.

Which states mandate a licence for firearm ownership, and registration of the firearms, and liability insurance? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 11:11 PM
(12-06-2014 10:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  In some states, they are.

Which states mandate a licence for firearm ownership, and registration of the firearms, and liability insurance? Consider

Here in Michigan Long Rifles do not need to be registered and can be at least 16 years old to obtain one from private seller and 18 from licensed dealer but handguns you have to be 18 to buy from private seller and 21 to buy from licensed dealer and obtain a special permit to purchase handguns. Don't know anything about Liability Insurance, never heard of it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-06-2014, 04:29 AM

Here's some info - http://smartgunlaws.org/licensing-of-gun...y-summary/
14-06-2014, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2014 06:01 AM by Chas.)

OK, that's a good point about liability insurance, however bills have been introduced in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and California to require that gun owners purchase liability insurance.

Many insurance companies charge more for homeowners insurance if one has guns. This is not for extra coverage - it's the same coverage as not having guns.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I've had guns since I was five years old and I'm 67 now. I love hunting and my wife and I especially love the high quality [hormone free and anti-biotic free] meat we get from my hunting. I also understand the visceral response some of you have to gun violence. My wife was a teacher for 30 years and she has some very close friends who were teaching at Columbine when the massacre occurred. We had an emotional response to it too for a few weeks after the shooting but then reason took over.

My gripe with all of the talk about more gun control is that it diverts attention from the real problem. In America, we stigmatize people who seek treatment for mental health issues and it is very difficult for a lot of people to get mental health treatment. Because of the stigma, we do not identify people who might be a danger to themselves or others until they go over the edge and hurt someone. People are beginning to recognize that this is the real problem. CBS "60 Minutes" did a program on it last Sunday with some psychiatrist who said all of these shootings could have been prevented if we had adequate mental health treatment. However, adequate mental health treatment is not going to come easily in a country that has fought for some 50 years just to get an inadequate "Obamacare" medical program.

Add to this the fact that we have a very high incidence of mental illness for a lot of reasons. Young people growing up today live under immense pressure to succeed financially and socially. We have a pretty fucked up values system. I have close to 100 guns locked in my gun room and I would gladly give them up, without compensation, if it would prevent the next mass killing. However, it won't and we, as a society, need to get to the root of this very sick problem and it isn't that we have too many guns.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
14-06-2014, 05:30 PM
(14-06-2014 11:02 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  [hormone free and anti-biotic free]

Considering that the body uses hormones to dictate cellular actions, odds are that meat is swimming with them...

I'll tentatively hand you the antibiotics though.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.