School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 07:49 AM
School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson
ACLU investigating Mills High showing of 'Passion of the Christ,' teacher's classroom rant about 'liberalism' after complaints

"ACLU-Arkansas is looking into an incident in which a portion of the 2004 R-rated film "The Passion of the Christ," which gorily depicts the torture and crucifixion of Jesus, was shown recently during a U.S. History class at Wilbur Mills High School, with the teacher of the course later going on a classroom rant against liberals and political correctness when a complaint to the school resulted in the second half of the film not being shown in a subsequent class. Audio of the teacher's diatribe was recorded, apparently by an unidentified student, and forwarded to ACLU-Arkansas and, later, Arkansas Times.

Reached at her office, ACLU-Arkansas legal director Holly Dickson identified the teacher speaking on the audio clip as Greg Hendrix, who also coaches football and track at the school. Dickson said Hendrix is the same Greg Hendrix who was terminated as a football coach by the Bentonville School District in October 2014 after, witnesses said, he allegedly called a former player a "faggot" and a "fucking queer."

cont. on link

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/arc...PPBs.gmail

JFC, these jesus freaks pushing religion in schools are like a little kid with a scab, they can't quit picking at it. So glad we have oversight and recourse with ACLU and FFrF.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Heatheness's post
03-04-2016, 07:56 AM
RE: School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson
Claiming the bible is a history book is like claiming Star Wars is the history of space exploration.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Brian37's post
03-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Part of it was showed during the classes in High school? No biggie, I and my entire class were taken to cinema to watch this when we were 14. No organization looked into this.

Having said that ranting teacher is a whinny failure which should not teach.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
03-04-2016, 09:02 AM
(03-04-2016 07:56 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Claiming the bible is a history book is like claiming Star Wars is the history of space exploration.

Precisely. It could be considered part of the history of religion in our world culture but it is not "History". It belongs in mythology class, not history class.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Wow, my school district K-12 didn't even let us watch PG rated stuff in class. (Leftover policy, I believe, from when there was no gap between PG and R.)

Not related to the story, but interesting, this takes place in Arkansas and that's where God's Not Dead 2 filmed. Wonder if they'll show it in Social Studies?

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-04-2016, 10:45 AM
(03-04-2016 10:37 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Wow, my school district K-12 didn't even let us watch PG rated stuff in class. (Leftover policy, I believe, from when there was no gap between PG and R.)

Not related to the story, but interesting, this takes place in Arkansas and that's where God's Not Dead 2 filmed. Wonder if they'll show it in Social Studies?

I would not be surprised. Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
(03-04-2016 07:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ACLU investigating Mills High showing of 'Passion of the Christ,' teacher's classroom rant about 'liberalism' after complaints

"ACLU-Arkansas is looking into an incident in which a portion of the 2004 R-rated film "The Passion of the Christ," which gorily depicts the torture and crucifixion of Jesus, was shown recently during a U.S. History class at Wilbur Mills High School, with the teacher of the course later going on a classroom rant against liberals and political correctness when a complaint to the school resulted in the second half of the film not being shown in a subsequent class. Audio of the teacher's diatribe was recorded, apparently by an unidentified student, and forwarded to ACLU-Arkansas and, later, Arkansas Times.

Reached at her office, ACLU-Arkansas legal director Holly Dickson identified the teacher speaking on the audio clip as Greg Hendrix, who also coaches football and track at the school. Dickson said Hendrix is the same Greg Hendrix who was terminated as a football coach by the Bentonville School District in October 2014 after, witnesses said, he allegedly called a former player a "faggot" and a "fucking queer."

cont. on link

JFC, these jesus freaks pushing religion in schools are like a little kid with a scab, they can't quit picking at it. So glad we have oversight and recourse with ACLU and FFrF.

U.S. history class? How is this film even remotely applicable? Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2016, 11:01 AM
(03-04-2016 07:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ACLU investigating Mills High showing of 'Passion of the Christ,' teacher's classroom rant about 'liberalism' after complaints

cont. on link

Sounds like he's trying to act out a scene from god's not dead part two.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-04-2016, 03:58 PM
I could understand showing this in a film history class or a comparative religions class; but a run-of-the-mill history class? I fail to see the historical value of this movie, other than to show what Mel Gibson accomplished before his breakdown.Evil_monster

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
[+] 1 user Likes StrangestTribe's post
03-04-2016, 04:07 PM
(03-04-2016 03:58 PM)StrangestTribe Wrote:  I could understand showing this in a film history class or a comparative religions class; but a run-of-the-mill history class? I fail to see the historical value of this movie, other than to show what Mel Gibson accomplished before his breakdown.Evil_monster

It's not even a run-of-the-mill history class. It's US history.

Because I guess he thinks it all happened here?!

I could almost understand if it were a world history class -- used as a tool to demonstrate how potential insurgents were treated. However, even that's a stretch for my more delicate sensibilities.

This had zero relevance to anything potentially being taught.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post