School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2016, 05:59 AM
RE: School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson
(04-04-2016 05:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  at least star wars is more consistent with its stories

*cough* midichlorians *cough*

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-04-2016, 08:28 AM
This is probably the only movie where George Lucas could improve it with some CGI, maybe reshoot a scene here and there, and perhaps throw in a scene where Jesus is caught rubbing one out or claims to have invented the Post-It note.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-04-2016, 08:46 AM
(04-04-2016 05:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How do you all feel about using theatrical films in history class, in general?

For example, in my daughter's high school history class, they watched the series Band of Brothers when learning about World War II.

The school did notify parents, permission slips were required etc.

I did not have a problem with Band of Brothers. However it did get me thinking. Hollywood films are often grossly inaccurate and biased to directors and producers beliefs.

Any thoughts?

I think movies, or mini series in the case of Band of Brothers, can be a good general overview and a way to get young students to be interested in what they might boring topic. As long as they understand they are not documentaries.

I personally would prefer teachers showed documentaries like the World At War documentary series is very good, but I get that history is not everyone's thing.
To be honest I'd be happy if people had a broad overview of a topic than no knowledge at all.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
04-04-2016, 08:47 AM
(04-04-2016 08:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 05:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How do you all feel about using theatrical films in history class, in general?

For example, in my daughter's high school history class, they watched the series Band of Brothers when learning about World War II.

I did not have a problem with Band of Brothers. However it did get me thinking. Hollywood films are often grossly inaccurate and biased to directors and producers beliefs.

Any thoughts?

I think movies, or mini series in the case of Band of Brothers, can be a good general overview and a way to get young students to be interested in what they might boring topic. As long as they understand they are not documentaries.

I personally would prefer teachers showed documentaries like the World At War documentary series is very good, but I get that history is not everyone's thing.
To be honest I'd be happy if people had a broad overview of a topic than no knowledge at all.

Does that mean that you want a NZ history class to include a Ray Comfort "documentary?" Big Grin

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Between Passion of the Christ, Apocalypto, Braveheart, the Patriot, Lethal Weapon, and Mad Max, you could pretty much teach everything from history to law to science to sociology using only Mel Gibson movies.

'Murican Canadian
04-04-2016, 09:01 AM
(04-04-2016 08:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Between Passion of the Christ, Apocalypto, Braveheart, the Patriot, Lethal Weapon, and Mad Max, you could pretty much teach everything from history to law to science to sociology using only Mel Gibson movies.

Ewwww... *smacks your hand*
Blink

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
04-04-2016, 09:20 AM

Any thoughts?

I don't think that movies are needed. Less propaganda and more discussion though would be beneficial.

History can be boring if it isn't taught right, it could also be dangerous when it is drowning in nationalist sentiments.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
04-04-2016, 06:14 PM
(04-04-2016 08:47 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 08:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think movies, or mini series in the case of Band of Brothers, can be a good general overview and a way to get young students to be interested in what they might boring topic. As long as they understand they are not documentaries.

Does that mean that you want a NZ history class to include a Ray Comfort "documentary?" Big Grin

Fuck off and die in a pit.
Also, we don't have a NZ history class. Unlike America, we have a History class in which we do do some NZ history but also learn about other countries (mostly England.. in fact entirely England. Even the Irish bit was about England.. History class in this country, I swear hasn't been reformed since colonial days).

edit: wait I take it back! we do do black civil rights movement in the US.
And a little bit of Australian history and how the Aussies treated/treat the Abo's.
04-04-2016, 06:20 PM
(04-04-2016 06:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 08:47 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Does that mean that you want a NZ history class to include a Ray Comfort "documentary?" Big Grin

Fuck off and die in a pit.
Also, we don't have a NZ history class. Unlike America, we have a History class in which we do do some NZ history but also learn about other countries (mostly England.. in fact entirely England. Even the Irish bit was about England.. History class in this country, I swear hasn't been reformed since colonial days).

edit: wait I take it back! we do do black civil rights movement in the US.
And a little bit of Australian history and how the Aussies treated/treat the Abo's.

Braveheart pretty much covers all the important parts of British history in 2 1/2 hours.

'Murican Canadian
04-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Schools should absolutely not show religious films in class. The teacher absolutely shouldn't have went on his little rant either, or asked them questions about God on a worksheet. The teacher should be fired. Showing a movie in class once in a while is fine. Showing a movie that's religious in nature like that? Totally inappropriate. Especially in a US History class.