School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2016, 10:00 PM
RE: School Showing "Passion of the Christ" For History Lesson
(04-04-2016 05:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How do you all feel about using theatrical films in history class, in general?

For example, in my daughter's high school history class, they watched the series Band of Brothers when learning about World War II.

The school did notify parents, permission slips were required etc.

I did not have a problem with Band of Brothers. However it did get me thinking. Hollywood films are often grossly inaccurate and biased to directors and producers beliefs.

Any thoughts?

While a good series made for television, it is hardly a scholarly history book. It also only shows one side of the conflict through a very small and singular window.

It is as historic in some ways as Virgil's Aeneid.

No, to answer your very good question. Films should not be shown in place of scholarship. It reeks of laziness on behalf of the teacher and or faculty.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2016, 10:19 PM
(04-04-2016 04:00 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Exorcist priest "THE POWER OF CRAP COMPELS YOU, THE POWER OF CRAP COMPELS YOU"
Isn't it "the power of Cheeses"?

So in USA they do Creation as Science
Jesus on a stick as History
Their school board does sermons and hymns but don't discuss school matters.
Are they going to swap out Maths for Mass?
You have in god we trust on money
"Under god" in your allegiance to the flag BS.

And your constitution has a separation of state and religion clause, seems like it's not taken that seriously.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
05-04-2016, 08:26 PM
(04-04-2016 10:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 05:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How do you all feel about using theatrical films in history class, in general?

For example, in my daughter's high school history class, they watched the series Band of Brothers when learning about World War II.

The school did notify parents, permission slips were required etc.

I did not have a problem with Band of Brothers. However it did get me thinking. Hollywood films are often grossly inaccurate and biased to directors and producers beliefs.

Any thoughts?

While a good series made for television, it is hardly a scholarly history book. It also only shows one side of the conflict through a very small and singular window.

No, to answer your very good question. Films should not be shown in place of scholarship. It reeks of laziness on behalf of the teacher and or faculty.

A lot of history text books aren't any less one sided. Especially older text books.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
(05-04-2016 08:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 10:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  While a good series made for television, it is hardly a scholarly history book. It also only shows one side of the conflict through a very small and singular window.

A lot of history text books aren't any less one sided. Especially older text books.

This is true. So one needs to read more than one book. This is why I read a lot of German and Russian histories regarding WWII.

I am so sad the Romans destroyed everything to be read by the Carthaginians. Even their language is lost. Not a trace remains.

This is a reason Polybius is so important, because his history was written as a warning for the Greeks about Rome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-04-2016, 08:50 PM
(05-04-2016 08:35 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 08:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  A lot of history text books aren't any less one sided. Especially older text books.

This is true. So one needs to read more than one book. This is why I read a lot of German and Russian histories regarding WWII.

I am so sad the Romans destroyed everything to be read by the Carthaginians. Even their language is lost. Not a trace remains.

This is a reason Polybius is so important, because his history was written as a warning for the Greeks about Rome.

I am continually impressed by the wide range of your knowledge. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-04-2016, 09:02 PM
(05-04-2016 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am continually impressed by the wide range of your knowledge. Thumbsup

Thanks mate. As I am with yours.

My brain is only just returning. I have been off the drug for 17 days so far. It's an 8 week break in total. Perhaps the real me may show itself before I return to the drug clouded fog I usually exist within.

I have yet to visit this forum. I had cancer and was affected by it when I joined. It was simply undiagnosed. They originally thought I had Hep C! I was on medication for that disease first! Interferron I think it was called. Bloody screwed me up badly. Then they found it was actually cancer 5 months later.

Sheesh! Facepalm

Banjo.