School Tragedies are Caused by Seperation of Church and State?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2012, 04:35 PM
RE: School Tragedies are Caused by Seperation of Church and State?
(16-12-2012 11:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Instant classic. Made me smile Wink Thanks for sharing. Now this one is going around
[Image: 32327_450533078344257_1327946559_n.jpg]

Am I the only one seeing this kind of idiotic stuff plastered all over facebook, or is it just my bible belt folks? It's not often I am even remotely surprised at how stupid the dogmatic can be, but every once in a while they're will be a terrible tragedy which will serve as a rallying cry for them to just...generally make fool out of themselves, oftentimes at public expense. I'm usually a pretty apathetic atheist, but this kind of stuff can be dangerous, is insulting, and really makes me wish I could just do away with religion.

At it's best religion can be used to help cope with a difficult reality. At it's worst it is used as a tool to take away the rights of some for the benefits of others and causes hatred while preaching love.
He looks vaguely ominous and paedophilic.

I haven't seen anything on my facebook, but I've gotten rid of most of the idiots there.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2012, 06:18 PM
It's not too difficult to understand the mind and motive of a theist. There's a reason why religious beliefs are simple and practical. Everything that happens to a theist, as far as they're concerned, be it losing a friend in an automobile accident or helping to bring life into this world, is a confirmation from God of their religious beliefs. That's how they rationalize whatever happens in not only their lives but also in the lives of others. Even though this is all confirmation bias, which sums up religion and superstition nicely, it's still a very real ideology most people have. So long as they continue to see what they want to see, they'll remain delusional.

And that's why you'll continue to see comments like these:

"This massacre happened because God was taken out of our schools!"

Not only are these kinds of comments outrageous, irrational, offensive and ignorant, they're also immoral. It's a complete disregard for human sentimentality. That's what I find most intrusive about religious fundamentalists. They're so convinced of their own personal beliefs, they'll stop at nothing to convert the rest of us, regardless of the damage it'll cause. That's why there's a Separation of Church and State, which has saved far more lives than people realize.

If you think Superman is real, comics are historical events,
and a bite from a radioactive spider will give you superpowers,
congratulations! You're on the same playing field as a theist.
[+] 1 user Likes TomS's post
18-01-2013, 06:06 PM
"It is my personal, humble opinion that anyone seeking to mix church and state has failed to understand the nature and role of either. Being founded upon the principle that all men are created equal and deserving of equal protection under the law is what makes the American system of democracy such a gift to mankind. Attempting to mix the inherently exclusionary imperatives of a particular religion into the resolutely inclusive system of the American constitutional form of government is to work against everything that America stands for. Religion is a personal, subjective affair for the individual; politics and public policy is an impersonal, objective affair for everyone."
John Shore

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
18-01-2013, 06:14 PM
School tragedies are caused by the sky god! We must appease him with human sacrifice to make him stop!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Doc's operatic Sunday School (waiting for the fat angel...) docskeptic 1,036 110,191 19-08-2014 11:06 AM
Last Post: docskeptic
  exorcisms in early church sophonian 5 119 14-08-2014 06:10 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  "Jewish state".......... Brian37 16 217 12-08-2014 08:40 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Church won't bury gay people dancefortwo 23 330 11-08-2014 01:06 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  School teacher gets some justice. Shadow Fox 0 127 24-07-2014 07:32 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  My law school essay =jesse= 11 230 08-07-2014 03:02 AM
Last Post: Vosur
  School Assignment on Diversity jaguar3030 6 143 01-07-2014 03:37 PM