School claims rosary is a gang symbol. They are right but for the wrong reasons.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2011, 12:21 PM
School claims rosary is a gang symbol. They are right but for the wrong reasons.
This isn't my neck of the woods but I thought I would share this little gem, reported in a Canadian news outlet about a school in Nebraska.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/20...78976.html

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
RE: School claims rosary is a gang symbol. They are right but for the wrong reasons.
(04-10-2011 12:21 PM)coyoteran Wrote:  http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/20...78976.html

This is utterly wrong. It doesn't matter if a religious symbol is highjacked by a gang, that doesn't give you the right to prohibit someone from wearing an innocuous symbol of their faith.

Furthermore, Freemont, Nebraska? Are you fucking kidding me? It has a population of 25,000, exactly how many gangs do they have? Sioux Falls, SD has 6 times that population and I think we had one gang incident in the past 100 years.

This absolute garbage. They're trampling on their students' rights just to be assholes.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
05-10-2011, 01:38 AM
RE: School claims rosary is a gang symbol. They are right but for the wrong reasons.
(04-10-2011 12:29 PM)17thknight Wrote:  
(04-10-2011 12:21 PM)coyoteran Wrote:  http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/20...78976.html

This is utterly wrong. It doesn't matter if a religious symbol is highjacked by a gang, that doesn't give you the right to prohibit someone from wearing an innocuous symbol of their faith.

Furthermore, Freemont, Nebraska? Are you fucking kidding me? It has a population of 25,000, exactly how many gangs do they have? Sioux Falls, SD has 6 times that population and I think we had one gang incident in the past 100 years.

This absolute garbage. They're trampling on their students' rights just to be assholes.

We don't know for sure there isn't a gang problem in that part of the country, Hagerstown is about the same size and has some gang problems.

However, this can be a wake up call, 'zero tolerance' makes 'zero sense'.

Of course the media and sheeple will have a field day with this, claiming it's part of the 'war on religion'...

Why can't people be sensible, talk to the school board about it, don't go running to the media bitching and whining, if there is one thing I learned in the military is follow the 'chain of command', it's the easiest way to get your problem solved.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree that this will rightly cause the fundies scream religious persecution and is totally wrong headed. I just enjoy the irony that the school is attempting to quash a gang of high school kids by censoring a symbol that represents a much more sinister gang, the Holy Roman Church.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't you want to know who is in a gang? What's the point of cracking down on the symbol, rather than the activity? Hm... actually, that sounds about par.
Anyway, the gang members will just have a rosary tattooed on their necks - and the nuns won't: that'll prevent confusion.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
06-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Although I welcome the ban of rosary, this is just plain stupid. Yeah, a 12 year old girl is wearing a gang symbol from church gang. Right. Now what they did with this is made things the worst possible. Now all these crazy Christian fundamentalists will have something to protest and ask more rights for them, more protection, more religious laws, more religious freedoms... "This is how these atheists are trying to silence us, this is how they want to silence the word of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" - is the beginning of the long speech filled with religious nonsense that will come as a result of this stupidity from that school.

There is also a possibility that the person who let this happen is one of those fundies, so now he has opened a path for all sorts of religious demands. One small sacrifice for the benefit of many.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson