School is ruining my appetite for science.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
School is ruining my appetite for science.
I'm in first year physics at school with a 95 (was at a 98 but scored a B- on a recent test), and the only reason this is so is because I really enjoyed magnetism and energy conservation at the beginning of the year. However, we have recently started electricity and it is (to say the least) royally pissing me off.

First of all, my teacher is possibly the most annoying person that one could ever meet.

Self absorbed, pretentious, lunatic-ish, and hideous overall.

If one has a question in class, she shuns said person and acts as if they are of lesser intelligence.

Every time she speaks in class she rips the fun completely out of science, which could explain why no one in the class can answer a simple single answer question.

The sad thing is that every time I score a low grade on a test or homework assignment, it pushes me further and further away from the science that I enjoy.

I'm incredibly sorry if my thoughts were unorganized in this post, I just don't know what to do, MY TEACHER IS LEADING ME AWAY FROM THE FUN OF SCIENCE!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 08:18 PM
RE: School is ruining my appetite for science.
(07-12-2013 08:13 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I'm in first year physics at school with a 95 (was at a 98 but scored a B- on a recent test), and the only reason this is so is because I really enjoyed magnetism and energy conservation at the beginning of the year. However, we have recently started electricity and it is (to say the least) royally pissing me off.

First of all, my teacher is possibly the most annoying person that one could ever meet.

If one has a question in class, she shuns said person and acts as if they are of lesser intelligence.

Every time she speaks in class she rips the fun completely out of science, which could explain why no one in the class can answer a simple single answer question.

The sad thing is that every time I score a low grade on a test or homework assignment, it pushes me further and further away from the science that I enjoy.

I'm incredibly sorry if my thoughts were unorganized in this post, I just don't know what to do, MY TEACHER IS LEADING ME AWAY FROM THE FUN OF SCIENCE!

"Fun of science", that is a novel concept.

Personally, I never had a feeling of 'fun' regarding science or in my science classes. I pursue science not because it is fun, but because I want to know how shit works. Curiosity is the key to science in my opinion.

... Though in Year 8 and 9 I did have a hell of a time when my classes were allowed to burn Magnesium. That's fun... I just like burning things... and fire... don't judge me!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-12-2013, 09:31 PM
[Image: I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg]

The last physics and chemistry teachers I had have forever ruined these subjects for me. I had the most amazing biology teacher, though, which is why I still like it today. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
07-12-2013, 09:39 PM
You're going to face these types in whatever field you go into. Take this disadvantage and turn it into an opportunity that if you survive this course, you can survive the next set of assholes with more coping strategies then if you didn't.

@Vosur: BRO HUGS!!! Can I come over and destroy that? Thanks man! *hugs*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
08-12-2013, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 12:24 AM by Youkay.)
Fun in science is NOT a new concept!!! (@Free thought)

Teachers who piss you off and take the fun out of subjects that you are actually interested in is nothing new. I had them, too. Everybody had them. It is a very sad circumstance of our schooling system, in which incompetent people who have no other perspective decide to become a teacher.

I was always very interested in mathematics, but the school didn't really do much to challenge me in this subject, so I sought my own challenges. But then, towards the end of school, I had this fascinating chemistry teacher, who was not very good in the subject in retrospect, but he was inspiring. And I ended up studying chemistry! And the whole university experience was amazing! I learned so so much, and I am able to understand the world from a chemist point of view. I am able to gain new knowledge in a lot of sciences very quickly due to my education. It was definitely worth it.

My advice for you would be to read some cool books and get your inspiration from there. To try and apply your knowledge that you gained from the books to your surrounding and see the fascination in that. And the best you can do is to find some other students or people, who are enthusiastic about physics and have talks and discussions with them.

Also there are very nice youtube channels which aim to ignite curiosity in students like Vsauce, minute physics, Scishow, Veritas and so on. Watch them in your free time if you like. I do it too. It's fun Smile

You can not change the schooling system at your current state, but you have to find a way to not let school ruin your future.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
08-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Muddle through it the best you can, and avoid taking classes with that teacher in the future if possible. If you can get a few other students to speak up, maybe you can approach the department leader or whoever is above her and see if they can talk to her about her poor attitude.

Good luck!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
08-12-2013, 01:14 AM
(08-12-2013 12:20 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Fun in science is NOT a new concept!!! (@Free thought)

[Image: 4b73111f38dbe7fd71cd83788e7da5f19fe9479e...df244b.jpg]

PS, this isn't Twitter

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
08-12-2013, 04:00 AM
(07-12-2013 08:13 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I'm in first year physics at school with a 95 (was at a 98 but scored a B- on a recent test), and the only reason this is so is because I really enjoyed magnetism and energy conservation at the beginning of the year. However, we have recently started electricity and it is (to say the least) royally pissing me off.

Learn how to study on your own. Maybe start out by looking online for free resources that might help supplement what your teacher presents. Try out Kahn Academy for instance (appropriate for high school, which I assume is where you're at):
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/phys...-magnetism
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
08-12-2013, 09:23 AM
My daughter is in 5th grade and is experiencing this already.

It sucks to have to explain to a 10 year old that some people are just assholes and suck the fun out of learning. I feel lucky that I didn't meet those teachers until the college level. Unfortunately, my daughter will have this same teacher for 6th grade too.

I think its some sort of power trip and a way to control others by believing they control the knowledge and the grade book. If you get grades by self teaching in spite of their piss poor efforts at teaching they look good (on paper), and if you fail - you must be a student that doesn't work hard.

A great teacher knows how to make the subject interesting to the students, like someone mentioned above about their chemistry teacher. They don't have to be the worlds greatest chemist, just a good teacher that inspires students to reach higher.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
What really bothers me is the fact that scoring low (an 82 is low for me) on a test makes me feel horrible throughout my entire being.

In school, it is not the learning that is important to me, it seems to be my grades that stand out in importance.

I do not think that is how it should be.